WE'RE BAAAACCCCKKKKK!!!!

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Hello ya'll! Just to let you know that Flip and me are setting our seeds tomorrow. (Does that sound right?) Tomato seeds that is. I've been converseing with him and we will work closely togeather and pray no more virus this season. I'm starting mine in the Ferris seed starting kits with the 72 Jiffy plugs. I like this method as it seems to give me stocky plants but I do remove the net at the first transplant time. This year I will have:
Golden Gem
Sun Gold
Health Kick (grown for my doctor - his favorite)
BHN444 (Just in case of a virus at least I'll stand a chance against a virus)
Hillbilly
Momotaro ( prettiest tomato that I've ever grown)
Chapman (A new one for me from TGS)
Earl's Faux
Magnum
Neves Amazon Red
Kewalo
Florida 91
Costoluto Fiorentino
Ceylon
Marianna's Peace
Sudduth Brandywine (Never omit this one)

It's been raining most all day today so I set the plug flats out and let the rainwater puff up the plugs. I'll be planting the seed the first thing in the morning. (after my coffee of course) Getting started at last!
Stay tuned for more action>>>>>>>

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Woohoo! Let the fall south Florida tomato season begin!! Looking forward to hearing what happens - and how they grow in your climate. I put my fall plants in about a week ago. Hoping for no early freezes.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Oh man, I gotta move south. Do you guys mean that you get to plant TWO crops of tomatoes every year???? I'm so jealous. I'm going to be lucky to get any tomatoes off my one crop before we get hit with our first freeze. Had a close call on the weekend - it went down to +3C, or about 38F. Geez.....

Joanne

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Good luck T! I'll be following this thread with interest. My tomato season is just about winding down, time to put in the fall broccoli and cabbage.

Red

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

BHN444 (Just in case of a virus at least I'll stand a chance against a virus)

The only virus it has some tolerance aainst is Tomato Spotted Wilt Virus, but not other viruses, just so you know.

(Chapman (A new one for me from TGS)

Unfortunately from pictures I've seen the TGS Chapman is not Chapman. If you want some seeds of true Chapman, e-mail me at cmale@aol.com with your address and I'll get a few out to you ASAP. They are from 2004 but germination is still good and I've sent them to quiite a few folks here at DG. Sorry, not a general offer folks.

(Neves Amazon Red)

Actually it's Neves Azorean Red, Tony Neves originally being from the Azore Islands.

I'm jealous that you're starting seeds now b'c my few plants were/are a horrendous disaster this summer. Sigh.

Carolyn

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Carolyn, you are an inspiration, to the maximum!

Warren, PA(Zone 5a)

I second Dyson's comment about Carolyn!

And I agree with Grow-Jo about growing season. We probably have it a little easier than Calgary, but being just to the east of Lake Erie makes for some pretty funky weather. I savor the summer (and fall, typically) but we have some long winters and little spring. Definitely a one season tomato experience around here each year.

Good luck Tplant, and think of us in the northern zones when you bite into that first nice fresh tomato in your second season :)

Got the job done today! Set myself up on my deck under the umbrella with a cup or maybe two cups of coffee and planted my seeds in a 72 cell seed flat. As I was planting I was thinking "how can a tiny seed like this produce such a huge fruit bearing plant?" My four year old garden assistant grandson was right by my side as we planted the seed togeather. I'm very proud of him as he has become very knowledgeable and adapt in the garden. Of course as with any four year old he has a short interest span but he retains what he learns. It feels good to pass on my knowledge!

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

TP/folks - I am ready to go! Seeding was completed yesterday. I'm planting/growing seedlings with a new twist this year - I'll try Carolyn's tomato buddy Craig's method for a portion of my plants, one difference being he uses soilless mix (instead of potting soil?) when potting up to 4" pots. Varieties at this time are:

Red Penna
Chapman
Aunt Gertie's Gold
Ashleigh
Wes
Large Pink Bulgarian
Russian Bogatyr
Green Doctors
Black Cherry
Lucky Cross
Akers West Virginia
Cherokee Purple
Rostova
Marianna's Peace
Red Brandywine (Landis strain)
Mexico
Coustralee
German Red Strawberry
Neves Azorean Red
Dr. Lyle
Pineapple
Reif Red Heart
Brandywine OTV
Omar's Lebanese
Aunt Ruby's German Green
Sudduth Brandywine
Yellow Brandywine (Platfoot strain)
Tidwell German
Brianna
Pink Potato top
Noir de Crimee
Jaune Flamee
Galinas
German Johnson
Lillian's Yellow Heirloom

In a few weeks I'll plant my backups:

Sandul Moldovan
Soldacki
Eva Purple Ball
Earl of Edgecomb
Olena Ukrainian
Ramapo
Prudens Purple
Aunt Ginny's Purple

This should keep my three gardens, a few large pots and an eb occupied for the fall/winter season, along with my normal planting of beans, peppers, radishes lettuce and herbs. Over the next two months I just need to finish weeding and turning over the soil. Then pray for no whiteflies and viruses.

Flip

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

Got the job done today!

Hope you left room for the Chapman seeds I sent out this AM, plus a few more. ( Smile)

(he uses soilless mix (instead of potting soil?) when potting up to 4" pots)

Flip, last I knew Craig was devoted to Metro Mix for seed sowing as well as potting up.

Great looking list you've got there.

Carolyn

Not as many as you Flip cause I don't have all the garden that you have but plenty for me. Now is the time to sit and watch and wait! I know the hybrids I picked will taste like store bought but I was just hoping to have some sort of avoidance against disease though not guaranteed. Last season was a real bummer....

Thumbnail by Tplant
Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Hey TP, I'm very fortunate to have a little extra space to plant my maters. You're in great shape with all them durn eb's of yours.

Carolyn, I haven't seen Metro Mix here so I'll go with the Jiffy Mix. It seems to do a good job. As far as my list goes, I just listen to you and the other folks here for suggestions, grow them, keep a few I like the best for the next season and do it again. After 4 years I'm up to 110 varieties tried; only about 1890 to go!

Flip

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

I have done a VERY bad thing. I put the tomato seeds in ziplock baggies to ferment about 3 weeks ago, and covered them with the water. I watched for the "scum" to rise the first week, then unzipped them for "aeration" per Dr. C's suggestion -- and then -- I just forgot about em, cause I moved them to an inconspicuous location out of DH's eyesight.

If they haven't started sprouting (and I sure hope they haven't in that scummy sludge) can I proceed with the process by rinsing them and then drying them out for storage, and hope to have them germinate next spring?

Buy new seeds it will be a lot easier and less messier!

oh, Paw.....

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

OK! - at 2pm today (a few hours short of 3 days) I had about 30 of my seeds poppin' - about 10% of the crop. Probably a few more since then. Lookin' for a bunch more tomorrow. Gettin' psyched!

I'm going to make room with my seedlings for the real "Chapmann" seeds that Carolyn is sending me! They will be a little behind the rest but by only a few days. I'll set them up next to TGS's Chapman seeds which are not supposed to be the true seed?

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

I'll set them up next to TGS's Chapman seeds which are not supposed to be the true seed?

I
l'll et you make that decision and I assume you'll show some pictures. The pictures of TGS Chapman that I've seen show a fruit that is highly ribbed which resembles Zogola more than it does Chapman. No, I'm not saying it's Zogola. LOL

Yes, weather can indice a certain degree of ribbing, but.......

Carolyn

This is going to be fun and very interesting! I'm doing research for Carolyn! OK! Planted the seeds yesterday by removing some plugs from my seed flat and planting the CM Chapman seed as that is what I labeled them and they will be planted in the same EB togeather with the TGS Chapman. I know they both will do very well and am anxious to see the difference....

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

I know they both will do very well and am anxious to see the difference....

Not everyone is seeing a difference. LOL

One person got heart shaped fruits and posterd pictures, another, I guess two, had heavily ribbed wrong shaped ones and now I've seen two folks with the TGS seeds who say they have what it should be and posted pictures. And one of the latter folks said germination was not good for him, but I've seen that statement made before when others are getting 100% germination with the same seeds. ( smile)

Carolyn

So it will be interesting to see what you get.

All my seedlings sprouted a week ago and are doing very well except for the Chapman seeds from Carolyn that I have named C M Chapman not to be confused with my other store bought Chapman. I planted fifteen of them. I'm a little concerned with CM's as they have not yet sprouted even though they are in the same flat as the others. Hope they do? We'll wait and see as they were planted four days later.

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

I'm a little concerned with CM's as they have not yet sprouted even though they are in the same flat as the others. Hope they do? We'll wait and see as they were planted four days later.

The four days may be the difference, As I wrote on the package they are seeds from 2004 and I've distributed them widely at another site as recently as this past Spring and no germination problems were noted.

With 5 yo seed I expect and get at least 50-60% germination and often greater.

So have faith. LOL

Carolyn

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

TP - I grew Chapman last year from seeds Carolyn sent me. I had an okay germination rate (about 50%) and the ones that grew up were very nice. Good sized red beefsteaks that taste really good. I had one that weighed in at 2lbs. Plus, I saved a bunch of seeds and I'm using them for this year. They are germinating fine.
Flip

OK! Glad to hear it. Just that I have never had to wait more than four or five days for my seeds to germinate? I'll keep you up to date on their progress....

Carolyn --- Still no sign of life from my CM Chapman (15 seeds) so I'm going to plant the rest of the seed in another flat. I have a spare Gro-Light so if they don't make it there It must be the seed? Hope not!

Flip -- It's driving me nuts! If you and I have the same batch of seed and mine won't sprout that would be "down right" devastating to my ego. LOL Most all of my other seed, over one hundred, are doing very well and are on an average of two inches at this time. A good sign! All have their true leaves and they seem to be ahead of schedule as it is just two weeks from planting into seedling flat. Hope this season does as well???

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

TP - Sounds like those seeds don't like you - (It must be that you're an eb grower - HAHA) If you'd like, I'll send you some of my seeds that I saved from the CM Chapman plant I had last season.
My seedlings sound like they're about where yours are at, most with their second set of leaves. I'm also expanding one garden to handle a few more plants. We oughta be transplanting up in a few weeks!
Good luck and let me know if you want some seeds

Thanks for the offer Flip! I just planted the remainder of the seed in a seperate flat which is about eighty or more seed so I'm sure I'll get some to sprout. Meanwhile my mini giants are doing very well except for,of all plants, my Sudduth Brandywine as I only achieved 50% germination whereas I usually get 90% or better? Oh well! I guess like me, they're getting old....Have to buy new seed come next season.

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

TP - Here's a pic of one of the 2lb+ Chapmans that I grew from Carolyn's seeds last year. It's the one in the middle next to the Sudduth. (Grown in the dirt! haha)

BTB - when are you gonna pot up?

Flip

This message was edited Aug 31, 2007 6:15 AM

Thumbnail by aries44

I always plant mine into four inch pots so I let them grow a little larger but to answer your question I would say one more week. I like healthy trunks. I'm now feeding them a quarter solution of Miracle Gro Tomato fertilizer. This develops them into miniature trees.

Thumbnail by Tplant

I also like to keep them just above the light without touching the seedlings. As usual I plant more than I can use or need. I'll pick out only the healthiest for my EBs and that means one of each variety except for Sudduth which, for this year only, I will put two in one EB but will prune when necessary. They have to learn to share their living quarters. LOL

Thumbnail by Tplant
Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Your seedlings look better than mine. I just gave them a shot of the 1/4 mix of Mgro so I can catch up. I'll probably xplant mine at the same time as you.

Inverness, FL(Zone 9a)

Flip, Flip, Flip---Now know why your seedlings don't look as goods as T's. How healthy can you expect them to get when they know they are going to be stuck in the dirty ground which animals use to P&P in and weeds grow in it?? Would you get buff if you were going to be stuck in that environment? Of course not. The seedlings know T is going to treat them well and give them a penthouse with nice clean dirt to live in. MG won't fool them, they know where you are going to stick them. LOL

I planted some for this fall just in case it is another extended warm one like it was last year. 2 EBs of corn and 3 EBs of Santa Sweets. I'll probably stick an Atkinson and a Brandy Boy our there when things cool off a little.

Whats that you say---your plants are going to grow faster in your dirty dirt because they are trying to get out of it!!! Maybe so, maybe so. Ed

Hopkinsville, KY

kingdking have you grown Atkinson before and if so what size were they?

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Heya there bubba Ed - haven't heard from you in a while. I have some sad news...
You have officially been removed as dirt boy jr....haha. I know you eb'ers need to stick together to try and match the dirtyone! Glad to see you're gonna plant some maters but 3 eb's worth of those dorky Santa Sweets! C'mon, you gotta grow some man-sized maters. LOL
Hope you've been well,
Flip, who has a 12" volunteer Rose mater currently growing in his one eb and 300 seedlings getting ready to be potted up

overachiever...

AT LAST!! CM Chapman is now a seedling! They sure took their sweet old time?
Eleven days! Never have my seeds taken more than four days, five at the most. Very happy they did. How long has it been? Planted them on 08/20 and they sprouted today. That is twelve days? Probably the Miracle Gro gave them a kick in the behind. LOL

ok. I'm joining this fall veggie gardening club. Mark it on your calendar. Today is September 1st, and I planted my rooted cuttings. Of course, in my total zeal to get the cuttings going, I lost track of what was what. I know I planted 4 Pruden's Purples, and at least 2 Cherokee Purples and 2 Black Krims, cause that's what the plastic cups said. There are two mystery cuttings, and I'll know what they are when I pick 'em. I planted these in my 5 EBs today, and I learned a very important thing about planting maters - Gymgirl needs to get back into the gym! Pronto!

I have 4 other mystery cuttings in buckets. Actually, one is an Arkansas Traveler that I just moved from the EB. I had cut the Spring crop down to the top of the EBs, but this Ark Trav just would not give up. So, I'm gonna give this little fighter a chance to prove up.

I have no clue whether any of these will make it before our first frost here, but, I'm game.

And, of course, once again, it's storming outside....I guess anything that doesn't get ripped apart by this pounding rain deserves to live...

Inverness, FL(Zone 9a)

gygreg2000 - I grew 2 Atkinsons this spring and they will be on my list again next spring. Keepers for sure. If I would have got started a little earlier, I would have tried a couple this fall. The plants didn't get very big, around 4', but they really put out the maters. Put them out in clusters of 6 to 8. Good tomato flavor. Very tasty, juicy the way I like them. I'd say a little larger than a tennis ball was about the average size, some larger and some smaller towards the end of the season. They kept a little better than most. I didn't keep track of the numbers this year because I gave 6 neighbors rights to pick whatever they wanted, whenever they wanted too. Give them a try Greg, I think you'll like them. Ed

Flipper - Maters don't like my dirt here. My in ground maters didn't do well at all. Oh well, just have to buy more EBs. 300 seedlings---who is going to be your full time gardener?? Or did you retire to become a full time mater farmer? Ed

Not a very good day today! Took my seedlings outside to get some sun and acclimate them to the elements. Watered them thoroughly as the sun was strong, put them on my green house stand and proceeded to do a couple of other chores in the garden. After about an hour or so I saw to my dismay that my seedlings were all bent over. Horrorfied with this I quickly picked up the tray to bring them back inside and as I was climbing up my stairs I tripped on my own shoelace that unnoticed by me, had opened and the seedling tray went flying as I let go to protect myself from injury!
I was able to save most but I can't identify them as they were out of the tray? Well anyway it is a good thing that it is early in the season as I can now plant all the seeds that Carolyn sent to me with her Chapman seed. Oh, by the way Carolyn, I set up a twelve seed flat as a back-up to the original CM Chapman that were planted in my community seedling tray and every one of those seeds also sprouted. So things work out for the best but it seems to be to early for tomatos and I was rushing the season by a month. From here on first or second week of September will be best for me.

Flip --- Try to keep your seedlings in as long as you can! The sun is just to much for them at this time of year. Meanwhile I'm setting up another 72 cell pak for Carolyn's seed and of course some of my favorites.

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

TPlant:

At least you didn't get hurt! And you can still plant more maters. You are a lucky guy!

I just pulled the last of my plants and am starting to put winter stuff in

Good Lick Guys & Gals!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.