New Hosta garden

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Today I bought the paint and marked out where I think the new Hosta garden will go on my front lawn. It's too dark to take a picture as we've got some showers going through the area, but this will give you and idea. I talked about this earlier on another thread - I forget which one, but the plan has varied a bit as I didn't like it when I started to draw it out with a garden just in the middle. So, I've decided to extend it out from the west side of the yard where the Linden tree is.

What do you think? I'm going to cover it with newspapers and then about 4-5 inches of mushroom compost. Let it sit for a few weeks and then plant.

This was the original plan.

Ann

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

This is the new plan. But it won't have the little dipsy-doodle at the top. I'm not very good at drawing with paint. It makes straight lines real easy, but anything else, forget it.

This message was edited Aug 12, 2007 6:38 PM

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

It's going to be lovely and it removes a lot of edging for the lawn too.

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Very nice, I can hardly wait to see it when you have it finished! :)

Greentown, IN(Zone 5b)

So you are just making the existing bed larger?

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Yes, in essence. The middle of the lawn is really the only place that I have any shade left. I have a number of hostas in places that are too sunny for them and have centers melting out as a result.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I'm not a fan of lawns, so I'd take it ALL out! Okay, but that's just me.
Your new/extended bed is going to look great Ann! Looking forward to your pictures.

Virginia Beach, VA

You are lucky to be able to do that!!! My DH would be very upset if I extended my beds. In fact my new bed was done while he was at work, hired someone to dig so he could not do anything but i heard it!!! I am taking my time to plan. your garden will look very nice. How big is your yard? Incidentally are you allowed to buy hostas here in US? I just need it for info. Keep the pictures posted. Happy gardening!!! Bellie

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Hi Bellie - I just tell him there is less lawn to mow. And it doesn't grow all that well under the trees anyway - so...

I can order Hostas in the US only if I pay extra for phytosanitary certificate. Many nurseries won't bother with them and for those that will, it makes the Hostas quite expensive; so it's better to wait until I can get them in Canada.

Ann

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Oh..Violann..what fun..that will look great..and the grass will be your meandering path to look at all your "babies"

Schroon Lake, NY(Zone 4a)

Oh I like that layout!! It will make a lovely composition!

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Here's a photo I took this morning from the other direction. The paint didn't show up very well in the dappled shade; so I drew over the lines so you can see it better. Will probably adjust the edges a bit as we start working on it. My plan is to lift sod around the edges. Then I'll mow the grass REALLY short and layer it with wet newspaper. Then 4-5 inches of mushroom compost. Keep it moist for a couple of weeks and start planting.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Lexington, KY

The new bed will look fabulous but did you leave enough room on the left side of the last picture to get the lawn mower through? I have a couple of lawn mowing nightmares that have to be trimmed with a string trimmer rather than a lawnmower. Now I make sure there is enough width to accomodate.

Brooke

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Yes. There is about 30 inches. It will actually take two passes to get it all. for some reason the 30 inches on the bottom side of the pic looks a lot bigger than the 30 inches on the left side. Perspective, I guess.

Greentown, IN(Zone 5b)

What about just getting rid of the grass all together?

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Probably would have if I didn't have all that nice (expensive) stone work around the oak tree.

Avon, NY(Zone 5b)

That is gonna look so nice Ann. Do you already have plants to go in the new space? Or is a shopping spree coming your way. ? It is amazing how quickly new beds fill up lol.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Hi Elaine,

I have a number of Hostas in pots and a few others that need to be moved because they are too crowded. My shopping spree will be next spring. But not too big. I'll try to limit myself to about 10 so that I can acquire more in future years. There is virtually no other space left except sunny space in my garden.

Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

I think it will be beautiful! You might consider adding another something with some height in the middle of the bed to add a focal point for the eye. A really bright, large hosta might have the same effect.

Laura

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Ann,
It's great that this is finally going to get done. You've been talking about it for some time now. I'm so glad for you. It will be lovely.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Laura, I think I will move my Regal Splendor into that bed where it will have space to grow to regal size.

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

It's going to be beautiful! Can't wait for the finished pics!

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Ann, those hostas are going to be so happy in all that lovely dappled shade. It'll be great. No fuss, no muss planting, too!

Sandy

Greentown, IN(Zone 5b)

Can't wait to see the end results!!! Have fun.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Sounds like I'd better start lifting sod. Maybe I can get some done on Saturday, but I'll be away for a couple of days; so I won't be able to post progress pics right away.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Well, I started digging today. Was supposed to be rainy, but when I saw a bit of sun, I took it as a sign. I started at the street and marked out the little bit that hadn't been painted. Then I used the hose to redefine the southern border of the garden and made cuts with the spade all along it. The another cut a spade width away and I started lifting.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

A bit farther along

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I cut the sod into bits that were easy to lift.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

And this is where I quit for today. The whole border is cut and ready to lift, but as I got closer to the Oak tree, it got very dry and hard to lift; so I've put a sprinkler out there to soften it a bit. Under the tree canopy it doesn't get much rain.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Greentown, IN(Zone 5b)

Looking good! It is exciting to start a new bed and look forward to all that it will bring!!!

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Great..keep us posted..it will be fun to watch it unfold.

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Looking forward to following along as well.

Sandy

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Well I've got the entire edge lifted. Will take a pic tomorrow. Next step is to figure out how large it is so that I don't buy enough soil for the entire neighbourhood.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

I think that's the hardest part, deciding how much soil is needed. Will be fun to see it unfold.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Got a couple of pics of the completed edging. Also figure that I will need roughly 4 cu. yards of soil to put between 4 and 5 inches over the newspaper.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

And this one.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

Ann--- Are you intending on putting stone around it like you have on the other bed and raising it up some. I bet that would be very pretty from the street.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

No, Oz. I might get some of the smaller stones that we used on our sidewalk and along the driveway and lay them in as edging though, but it won't be a raised bed. Too expensive. And having the other stonework limited what I could do in garden expansion.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Got the newspaper spread this morning after DH scalped the lawn last night. Am watering it well and might add another layer as I still have newspapers left. When I'm done, I'll add the grass clippings from last night.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Greentown, IN(Zone 5b)

I still think you should just get rid of all the lawn and allow the wall you built to be part of the new garden. It will give you a huge amount of space for your hosta and the wall will not be wasted as it is a wonderful dimension to your garden!!!! You could create a walk in stone through the garden to invite people in!

Its not too late!!!

But it is coming alone lovely. You are going to love the new area. And so will all the neighbours and your guests! I am so looking forward to seeing it evolve, it gives me great ideas!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.