Yes, I'd like your 2 ¢

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

This is what I see sitting in my chair relaxing. I was thinking about removing the tall reeds in the watergarden to open up the view to my dream corner garden which will run from the first fence post on the left to the gate post (gate is where you see the blue wind chime hanging from the tree.)
The garden will gradually start narrow and then flare out a bit at the corner and narrow to the gate post.

I'm not going to tackle this until end of September into October, that reed will be a bugger to get out, I think it has grown to large for the watergarden, would rather see waterlilies and more plants on the outside of the watergarden.

I though you all would have fun critiquing my ideas.

Thumbnail by ladygardener1
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

What fun!

I like the reed as a backdrop for your other water plants, but I can see where it'll get in the way of viewing your new bed. I wonder, how would it look if you just chopped it down a good bit? I know it'll be a little more upright... I'm not thinking of shearing it straight across, more of splitting it into maybe 5 clumps as you go across and chopping each clump off at a different height (like those Japanese garden edgings made from upright pieces of logs or fat bamboo, with pieces of different heights... formal because they're upright, but not formal-mechanical). If you're going to pull it out anyway, you may as well play with it first... :-)

Are you thinking of climbers to show off along the solid white fence? Maybe clematis, or roses?

What are you thinking of putting in the back corner as a focal point to anchor your new garden?

Critter, Thanks for jumping in! The reeds stand up pretty straight until it starts setting seed, then it will bend. I really think a shorter verity of water grass is in order here. I did cut down a section to the left of the clump, might do another section sometime this week. I'll see how this looks. Maybe I'll get a closer picture to show you what I'm dealing with.

The fence is 6 foot tall and vinyl so I'll have to install a trellis in front of the fence and I am having good luck with growing clematis. so I may go that direction.

I have a lot of Canterberry bells potted up that I started last spring, and some Mum cuttings that are rooted for the fall. I want to plant a Festiva Maxima Peony on the right side of the gate opening. I'm going for the cottage look.

I don't have much luck with roses, but I'm looking at planting some Blaze roses which is an old climber on the wooden fence that is in the back yard.

Chris

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I don't have much luck with roses as a rule either, but I do have a Zepherine Drouhin that's again escaping its trellised corner and trying to take over the stairway to the deck! http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/354/

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

What a lovely and tranquil view you have of your water garden! I could easily spend my day sitting in an easy chair and gazing at your colorful water lilies, watching the animals & insects that come to drink and find myself going into a totally relaxed state of being. Such a lovely way to spend an afternoon!

Back to the question at hand about your reed grass. I agree with Critter to cut it back for the time being. That will be a 'quick fix'. If you choose to dig it out in the Fall, it will be a 'bugger', like you said. Hope you will get some help with the digging, as I'm sure it has put down a strong root system.

In place of the reeds, I can envision some Papyrus plants. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyperus_papyrus Dwarf Papyrus plants are also available, if you prefer shorter growing ones. I like their open & see through vertical form, plus many birds may be drawn to this plant as well, which is an added bonus.

As for your white fence, I agree again with Critter about adding Roses & climbing Clematis vines. There are many very hardy & disease resistant Roses, as well as, Clematis that are resistant to wilt. The Clematis would use the Roses as a climbing structure. If you wanted them to climb to the top of our fence, you could simply attach some bird netting to your fence to aid in the ascent or trellises if you prefer.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth. Hope it helped!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I planted several clematises (clematii? LOL) in a new bed along my neighbor's fence last year. Next year, I think they may "leap," and I plan to put up green plastic fencing just in front of the fence to give them something other than the fence to climb (since it isn't my fence). I can just use those T-stakes and take it down for the fall/winter (the ones I planted die back to the ground), and I think the green color will just fade out from view and/or be covered by vines.

The American Clematis Society site says that clematis will also climb strands of monofilament (like fishing line), and that might be an easy way to get them vertical against your fence, with a fish line fan-shaped "trellis."

A fish line fan would provide a wonderful & interesting "trellis" for the Clematis to grow on. Good idea!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

from the pictures Shirley has been posting, she sure knows her clematii

Decision making time...... In the corner of the fence (It does get some shade due to the ash and maple tree growing near by.)
I have two young shrubs growing in pots. One is, Kalmia latifolia 'Elf' Mountain Laurel , I like the fact that the leaves will stay green all winter. Bird protection when it gets bigger and something nice to look at out the kitchen window.

http://www.wildchicken.com/nature/garden/nature_200_027.htm

The other is Azalea Golden Lights, I really like the color of the flowers on this one,

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/81482/

Any input. Have fun!

The fish line sounds good but I don't want to start putting holes in the fence ( If you knew the cost of putting this thing in your hair would curl and toes would turn up) Any Ideas on noninvasive fasteners.

Still leaning towards a metal trellis.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

No holes in the fence was my reason for recommending fish line, as I would think you could just loop it around the top of the fence post and then back down to the ground. A metal trellis would be fine also, and would give some architectural detail when the clematis is young or in winter when it dies back (in summer, I can't see my pretty metal trellises at all!). You may still want to secure the metal trellis to the fence so it doesn't topple with the weight of the clematis, but again you might be able to slip a line through/around part of the fence to do that.

I'm not sure either of those shrubs will get tall enough for you to be the focal point for the back corner... I'd be tempted to put them just to either side, and then in the very corner to plant something more upright... maybe even a columnar plant like one of those skinny cypress, or a 'Skypencil' holly, 'Skyrocket' juniper, 'Greenspires' euonymous, etc.

I think you need something taller and more dramatic to draw your attention back to the larger corner area of that garden, because of the visual impact of that beautiful but very tall and very white fence.

Are you thinking of an inverted fan, sorry for being so dense today.

I have a 2 metal trellis with Clematis growing on them new vinyl sided garage so no fasteners, I pounded a metal pipe onto the ground behind the trellis and fastened the trellis to it. The helped the leaning problem. And I know what you mean about the trellis being covered.

Will look into the 'Skypencil' holly" I don't have a holly and would really like one. Wonder if I will need two for berries?

Thanks and Keep the ideas coming.

I cut down more of the reed, here is an updated picture. And started added sifted compost to the new flower bed, Thats the darker soil.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Actually, I guess I was thinking of either a teepee or a fan shape, whichever worked out best with the fence.

My favorite local nursery guy told me I didn't need to get a "boy" holly in order to get berries because there were probably enough holly trees in the area for pollination. He said if you don't get berries in a year or two, then think about putting in a male tree. 'Skypencil' is a Japanese holly cultivar. The only drawback to it is that it grows pretty slowly -- so taller ones are $$ and shorter ones may take a while to be much of an accent.

Actually, you could also think about columnar trees as vertical accents along the solid fence even before the bed widens out... the ones I mentioned are only 18-24" wide, and there are also some columnar apple cultivars that I've been trying to find just the right spot for (because they intrigue me -- and I think the crabapple in particular would be beautiful in bloom).

I can't wait to see everything you'll do with that bed!

I think you may want to add "bones" to your garden first. By "bones", I'm referring to evergreens. Once you have decided on and planted your evergreens, then it will be easier to fill in with perennials, annuals, grasses & vines.

This article will give you more information on how to grow Clematis vines successfully. http://www.gardenvines.com/catalog/grow_clematis.php

sallyg: Yes, guilty as charged. I LOVE Clematis not only for their beautiful flowers, but also for their versatility.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

You have some very good suggestions there. If you tie a piece of fishing line from one post to the other, across the top. You can attach down lines in any direction you want. You could gather them together at the bottom in one or more groups to stakes to make large or small fan shapes. (great idea critter) or any other design you want. You could also use the down lines to help support whatever type trellis you want to add. There is a beautiful thread on combining Roses and Clematis together. I just realized that this is one of Shirley's threads.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/673866/
This year I bought America Climbing Rose. It has a beautiful coral color that has been blooming all summer for me and is Disease resistant. Would give a big bust of color planted with purple clematis against that bright white fence. I also think you need something with a little height there at that point in the water garden but not what you have growing right now. I like the idea of a Papyrus plants or Dwarf Papyrus or Dwarf Cattails. How did the water willow I sent do? Did you like that? It should also give you some height in the water garden. Love that Azalea Golden Lights. Here's a picture of my America Rose.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

HollyAnn: Your America Climbing Rose is gorgeous! What a beautiful color and the fact that it is disease resistant is a big plus! With Black Spot so rampant in my growing zone, I am only considering Roses that are disease resistant to grow in my garden.

I had forgotten about the Growing Clematis with Roses thread. Thanks for providing the link. It has some wonderful and very helpful information in it.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Shirley, I went to check out that link and clicked on the link to rosegarden's photos http://www.westvalleyrose.org/roseinfo/climbersinthelandscape.html - WOW!!!!! ladygardener, visit the link if you haven't already seen it - might give you some ideas for Clematis or Roses to include on the fence. She also gives some wonderful information on her planting "technique" (fertilization, etc.) - sounds like alot of work but looking at the results it certainly works for her!

Hi gang! I like hearing from you. It gets the creative juices flowing. I am a plant collector at heart and fall short in design. sigh : (

The weekend is here so will be working on sifting more compost for the area in question. I called one Nursery for the Sky pencil Holly, they don't have it but could order, I'd like to see it before buying. Don't know if I'll get to another nursery this week.
Also looking at the links you posted and WOW!!
Holly, the water willow is doing good I just placed it in the watergarden by the side, wonder if I could use it in the area where this "reed" is.

Here is a picture looking down on the thick mass that I can stand on and not sink into the water. You can see about 3 inches of the toes of my garden shoes to give you an idea of the size. It is about 1/2 way into the water garden and is taking up to much water space. I'll have to roll it out to cut it apart as I don't want to take a chance of cutting the liner.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Lady, if you're coming to the Sept. 8 plant swap, you can see a trio of 'Sky Pencil' hollies in person. They do need a little winter protection (like a good spraying with WiltPruf to protect them from cold winter winds)... If I had it to do over, I might plant a columnar Barberry instead (I don't think I knew about them when we put these hollies in several years ago). Barberry is tougher, and it would give you a nice burgundy accent color in the foliage. I think this is the cultivar I was thinking of, http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/72858/

Hmm, I do see several notes in PF that Japanese Barberry can be very invasive, so that might be something to consider also, especially if you have nearby woods it could "escape" to.

Here's a shot of Penstemon smallii, with a 'Skypencil' holly behind it.

Thumbnail by critterologist

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.