Tour of my Backyard

Cypress, CA(Zone 10a)

Hi everyone...Just got done with the new shade house area using 30 percent cloth and installing our new gazebo and planter area. Thought I'd share how my backyard has changed because of this addiction you guys here on the forum have passed along my way. I also installed a filter system to water the palms with. You will see a lot of Majesty palms which are given to me by a friend who caters plants to NASA car events. They are in bad shape when I get them but nurse them back to health. I have 25 pictures to upload so wait to comment until I am done. Hope you like it.
Curt

Thumbnail by radman
Cypress, CA(Zone 10a)

Thumbnail by radman
Cypress, CA(Zone 10a)

Thumbnail by radman
Cypress, CA(Zone 10a)

Thumbnail by radman
Cypress, CA(Zone 10a)

Thumbnail by radman
Cypress, CA(Zone 10a)

Thumbnail by radman
Cypress, CA(Zone 10a)

Thumbnail by radman
Cypress, CA(Zone 10a)

Thumbnail by radman
Cypress, CA(Zone 10a)

Thumbnail by radman
Cypress, CA(Zone 10a)

Thumbnail by radman
Cypress, CA(Zone 10a)

Thumbnail by radman
Cypress, CA(Zone 10a)

Thumbnail by radman
Cypress, CA(Zone 10a)

Thumbnail by radman
Cypress, CA(Zone 10a)

Thumbnail by radman
Cypress, CA(Zone 10a)

Thumbnail by radman
Cypress, CA(Zone 10a)

Thumbnail by radman
Cypress, CA(Zone 10a)

Thumbnail by radman
Cypress, CA(Zone 10a)

Thumbnail by radman
Cypress, CA(Zone 10a)

Thumbnail by radman
Cypress, CA(Zone 10a)

Thumbnail by radman
Cypress, CA(Zone 10a)

Thumbnail by radman
Cypress, CA(Zone 10a)

Thumbnail by radman
Cypress, CA(Zone 10a)

Thumbnail by radman
Cypress, CA(Zone 10a)

And here is the last one....I hope you enjoyed them

Thumbnail by radman
Oak Hill, FL(Zone 9b)

Looks great Curt.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Looks wonderful,I can tell a lot of hard work and lots of time went into your backyard.
Why are all your plants off the ground?
With all the shade cloth,I see you still get quite a bit of leaf burn on the leaves of your palms,are you coastal or inwards a few miles,and does it really make that difference on the sun's intensity?
Don

Cypress, CA(Zone 10a)

Don.......I rent the house I am living in but feel as if it were my own....we have been here now for 8 years....That is why they are not in the ground. the burn you see is freeze burn from last winters cold snap.....It does get a bit hot in my back yard though. It seems with the landscapers cloth being on the ground it gets even hotter in the back so I put up the 30 percent shade cloth to help cool it down and it did the trick....by next summer most of the palms will be kicking in....I can't wait
Curt

Oceanside, CA(Zone 9b)

I was going to ask about the shade cloth, as it looks lighter than 50%. Just enough to protect from extreme sun, but they should be still somewhat hardened.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Curt,I was wondering why on benches and not so much planted in the ground,nice collection you have as well.
Do you get any of the smog,that LA gets?
Thanks
Don

Cypress, CA(Zone 10a)

We seem to get a nice breeze in the afternoons and no problem with the smog that LA has. I have then benches like that because it is a low area of my property and it becomes a little lake out there during long and hard rains. If I can find a picture of what it was like a few years back I'll post it. Terry I still have the 60 percent area for the palms that need it and the green house is covered with 40 pecent shade cloth
Curt

Garden Grove, CA(Zone 10a)

What seedlings are in photo #20

Mission Viejo, CA(Zone 10a)

Very nice Curt. I wish my back yard looked so orderly.

I hope it works out that you get the house and soon. One thing about them all being in pots is that if we experience another winter like last winter, you can gather them all up and place them in a protected environment. Hopefully, though, we won't have another winter like that.

Jackie

Cypress, CA(Zone 10a)

Dave you know what seedlings those are.......Bizzy's of course.....I have had 6 of them pop the last few weeks....I'm a daddy again....lol

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

Hey Curt, nice yard! You've got quite an operation going there don't you? Looks like you know how to mix business with pleasure. LOVE that bamboo bar... I'll have a mai tai please.. and back it up!

Cypress, CA(Zone 10a)

FOF.....Where have you been? You and Terry along with Tropical_dave are welcome over for a mai tai anytime..
Curt

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Quick question...How deep does the bismarck radicle bury itself when the seed first germinates? I have 5 seeds and one has germinate with at least a one inch radicle so I planted in a gallon pot by itself. i want to make sure the pot is deep enough. I plan on re potting the bismarck when the first leaf emerges so it is not to deep. Any info will help. Thanx

Garden Grove, CA(Zone 10a)

FoxtailFavPalm,
the radicle on the Bismarck can go as deep as 12 inches, so the pot should be 16 to 18 inches deep.
Dave

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

I've been very busy at work lately, plus we're remodeling my GF's mom's house, no time lately for palm chit chat.
Hopefully I'll be able to get on here more soon, but it's been very hectic lately.

I've been missing my palm tree news and buddies...

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Radman - I have to know what that plant is in the very last picture. The dark green plant in the black pot sitting on the deck (in the foreground). The "gardeners" re-landscaped at work and there are a bunch of these and I just LOVE them. They started out small and have filled out beautifully.

Mission Viejo, CA(Zone 10a)

Xanadu. You can get them at HD and Lowes at a pretty good price. They need shade. Will multiply at a good rate. Easy to grow. A philodendron.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/59808/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.