Passion Flowers and/or Maypops! Let's see yours?!?

Port Saint Lucie, FL(Zone 9b)

Piggy :) LOL I just have heard that the seeds will sprout much easier if you keep them in the pulp until right before placing in the soil. I hope this is true. I have Maliformis seeds in pulp and some not in pulp. As soon s I get my heat mat, I will test out this theory.

Flutter

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

LOL well, you can soak them in some juice since beduouin didn't save any of the so succulent pulp for her DG friends!

And now, don't be giving every one of the p. seeds away, please! I would like to try to grow a passiflora, too, please! Pulp or no pulp! LOL

If anyone is in the mood to purchase seeds, here's a nice list from the Passiflora Co. in the UK. http://www.passiflora-uk.co.uk/shop/seedshop2.htm

And here's Mr. Vanderplank's explanation of how to grow Passifloras from the UK Passiflora site. http://www.passiflora-uk.co.uk/passion-flower-growing.htm

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Here's mine - a Maypop that came from Adrienne (Asafla) :))

Thumbnail by Illoquin
Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

And here's anoher one. I don't know what kind it is, but it's probably not hardy. The butterflies ignore it as far as I can tell.

Cuttings will be available for postage starting Oct 14.

Suzy

This message was edited Aug 16, 2007 6:53 PM

Thumbnail by Illoquin
Starkville, MS

bedouin - you sound like me!!! I *love* the pulp!!!! There is a way to pull certain petals and such off the flowers and you get the cutest little ballerina. I used to make a platform out of scrap limber with some props and stage a ballet for my friends. We all pitched in to work the "puppets" and made up our own script and music.

Ah, life in the country with nothing better to do - wouldn't trade those times for *anything* offered now!

However I *would* trade "something" for some wild growing passion vine seed still in the pod.
ginni

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I have a photo, but it's not my flower so I'm not much help.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Ginni, what do you have to trade for some 'wild' passion vine seeds in pulp. Mine is loaded with fruit (it is one I dug or got seeds from in Florida)..
Sheila, you need to enter that picture in photo contest.. it is beautiful.
Elaine

Starkville, MS

I will be out this weekend getting Liatris and Cleome for sure. I should still have some Black-eyed Susan and Queen Anne's Lace seeds - not sure what else I might find.

Or - I don't mind paying postage for the passi seed and pods if that works for you. It takes a bit more to mail the whole pod, but I really would like the whole pods for a craft project and the seeds to plant.
ginni

Perris, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi! Everybody!! Has anyone had any experience with the passies 'Ruby Glow' and 'Victoria'? Are they toxic to GF's? I have had the Ruby Glow for a couple of months now and the GF's seem to pass over them. The two Victoria's I purchased yesterday. I hope I didn't waste my money.

Please advise.

Have a wonderful gardening weekend!!

Thanks,

Chuck

CBernard-- I found this info/photo of passiflora alata of which 'ruby Glow' is a selection, so maybe you will see some frits on your vine!

http://www.californiagardens.com/Plant_Pages/passiflora_alata.htm

Very pretty flower, too!

Perris, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks! Beautiful and informative link.

Have a good day!!

Chuck

Bedouin, Gonna see you in 3 days??

Flutter

Fort Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10b)

Flutter!...............Heavens, I'd forgotten all about the meeting! Is it on Friday, 28th? What time? At Butterfly World, right? Been away for a while, and all goes to H*)*^ when ones schedule has been disrupted! No excuses, just brain cell memory disintegration...........and not putting the date on the calendar!

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Ginni, I don't think you would want the pod... it just shrivels (rots) unless you open and take the pulp out. I have quite a few drying in the garage if you would still like some seeds.
Elaine

Yes, this Friday...in 2 days. here is the schedule

9:00AM: Ice Breaker at Butterfly World ~ No charge for admission to Butterfly World for registered Passiflora members attending the meeting. Please specify that you are a member of the Passiflora Society at the admission counter. (We will be there around 9:30)

10:00AM: Leave for the Everglades Airboat Tour (weather permitting) ~ 15-minute drive - Cost: Adult $32.00, Children (ages 6-12) $16.00 and under 5 are Free. (Members that go on the Airboat Tour can take the tour of Butterfly World's Passiflora Collection on Saturday.)
(Loxahatchee Everglades Tours Inc. - See Florida the way it used to be! Take an airboat tour and see all the wonders of nature in their natural state. Glide over a "river of grass" and spot a few alligators along the way.)
OR
10:00AM: Tour of Butterfly World's Passiflora Collection for those who do not go on the Airboat Tour. Butterfly World's Passiflora Collection Tour will be offered on Saturday as well.

12:00PM: Airboat tour participants will return to Butterfly World.

12:00PM - 1:00PM: Lunch - Butterfly World has two outdoor cafes.

1:00PM: Leave to visit Boynton Botanicals - 25-minute drive. (Please have change available for tolls on the FL Turnpike.)

1:30PM: Arrive at Boynton Botanicals (Boynton Botanicals - Wholesale Nursery)Website: www.boyntonbotanicals.com

3:30PM: Leave to return to Butterfly World

4:00PM - 5:00PM: Sharing with Participants

Saturday, September 29, 2007

8:00AM: Officers Business Meeting at the Courtyard Marriott

*Tradewinds Park gate fee will be in effect, $1.00 per person

9:00AM: Continental Breakfast at Butterfly World

9:30AM: Passiflora Business Meeting will start and then a Tour of Butterfly World's Passiflora Collection. For those who took the tour on Friday please take this time to share with others.

12:00 - 1:00PM: Lunch - Butterfly World has two outdoor cafes

1:00PM: Passiflora Group Photo

1:30PM: Slide Show Presentation - Please bring slides or PowerPoint presentations to share with the members. (Please let Sarah know if you are bringing any presentations)

Jorge Ochoa will demonstrate grafting of Tacsonias onto caerulea root stock allowing these high altitude plants to be grown almost anywhere, including Southern California and Florida. For a written copy of this demonstration, refer to Volume 16, #1 of the Passiflora Newsletter (Summer 2006).

If anyone would like cuttings, Ron will take you around after the slide show. Please bring gallon size Ziploc bags and a permanent marker for cuttings.

Fort Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10b)

Maydreams,
Can one pay for memebership at the door?

Thanks.

This message was edited Sep 27, 2007 1:23 PM

This message was edited Sep 27, 2007 1:23 PM

Not sure. Call Sarah Botto. here is her BW info

Sarah Botto, Office Manager
Butterfly World
3600 West Sample Road
Coconut Creek, FL 33073
954-977-4434

Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

Tabasco, I was searching for info about growing the Maypop in zone 5/6 and found this thread. Did you end up overwintering yours? I planted one two years ago and it has returned 2 years but barely grows. Right now it is only 3 leaves and about 6" tall. I was trying to figure out if there is anything I can do to get it growing better.

Hi, Meredith,

Sorry for the delay in replying, I have been pre-occupied with family matters and have hardly logged on to Dave's Garden this summer! I miss it and was just wondering yesterday how your BF garden was growing this year!

Yes, so I overwintered my common maypop in a pot in the garage. I had grown it the summer before in the pot because I heard that particular vine can grow like crazy if not restrained in some way. It is nice sized this summer and still in the pot. I have seen some maypops in the woods here in zone 6 that are huge, though. Too big for my yard that way, but maybe the butterflies like them.

I was just thinking about which butterflies like maypop (passiflora) and am drawing a blank...maybe it's the gulf fritillary? Mmmm...must google that one. I don't think we get gulf frits around here, so I wonder why I'm growing it?! (-:

Hope you're having a great summer in the butterfly garden! t.

Oh, well!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

In the south the passiflora vines are host plants for the Gulf Fritillary, the Varigated Fritillary, Zebra and Julia Longwing butterflies.

Tab, Thank you for thinking of me, the butterfly garden is keeping the butterflies very happy! I've had some every sunny day for the last month. Now that the Monarchs are here I see them in the yard all day. : )
If I remember correctly the Variegated Fritillary is supposed to use the maypop, like Sheila said. That is the only local butterfly for me, that would use it. I'm not sure if you get those there, but butterflies and moths website could tell us. : ) Even though I think they will also use violets so it's not absolutely necessary for us like it is in the south. But their flowers are so darn pretty! I would love to get one established. Mine is still puny, it's got maybe 5 leaves and is only a foot high, if even. It must just not like it's location, I can't figure out what else it could be. I know my zone is 5b but I am only a 10 minute drive to where the line would say zone 6a and so far most everything that is said to survive in zone 6 has survived here.

Thanks, Sheila. I have had a lot of Variegated Frits this year so maybe it's due in part to the Maypop. I do have a lot of wild type violets growing along the woods and they might like those too. Some lepidopterists in Ohio did find a Gulf Frit during a Butterfly Count recently, too. A rare bf here.

Ah, well, Meredith, I think the Maypop takes a year or two to get acclimated.

I know my friend has the maypops volunteering all over the place in his community garden plot so they must not be too challenging. Maybe you just need to give it time? The blooms are so interesting~ I would love to have a collection of them (and a green house, too, for them!)

Thanks tab, I don't think it helps that I got the plant from mail order natives. I was very happy with the quality but it is in FL and I've heard when experimenting with barely hardy stuff it is a good idea to get plants that have grown in the colder end of their hardiness range. I just couldn't find them from any where cold.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Tabasco..Just the oposite here, I have GF and rarely a VGF! They are beautiful I would love to see more of them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.