I need help with Sago Cycas Palm seeds

Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

I bought 2 Sago Cycas Palm seeds on eBay and they did not come with any instructions on how to get them started. Can someone help me out here please? Thanks!
Wanda

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

bamagirl35973
Sorry, no personal experience with them myself, but thought I would ask my friend Mr. Google to help you; googled "germinate..." to see.

According to: http://www.banana-tree.com/Product_Detail~category~20~Product_ID~436.cfm

They say: Using a well draining type of soil mixture plant at the depth of 1 1/2" laying the seed flat. Keep soil damp. Requires warmth. Grow in filtered sunlight or bright light. Germination can take 3 to 8 weeks.

Another site: http://www.localharvest.org/store/item.jsp?id=3172
Said: Sow seeds immediately on receipt, in 1 inch deep, in pots or trays of moist seed compost. Place in a propagator or warm place, and keep at a constant temperature of between 68-77F. After sowing, do not exclude light as this helps germination. Keep the surface of the compost moist but not waterlogged; germination can take 1-6 months and may be slow and erratic.

Since no one answered you yet, thought I would send these instructions. It's a shame the people sending the seeds didn't bother to include instructions. Hope these are helpful and good luck on germinating them!
~ Suzi :)

Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

Thank you for helping me!

Looks like I got myself into more than I bargained for. LOL I'm used to simple easy seed germination. What the heck, I'll give it a shot anyway.

Thanks again!
Wanda

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

Hmmm constant warmth and bright light... If you don't have warming trays, etc, can you leave them on top the fridge and leave the light on? I typ put tom seeds on top of freezer to start, it's shorter than fridge and I can see/reach them.

Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

I've got an indoor grow light that I have used for my other seeds and I do have a short freezer that I can sit them on. Maybe I'll be able to do this after all!:>)
Wanda

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

Wanda,
I sure do hope so! Best wishes with them!!! Let me know how it works out.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.