Where is everyone these days.

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Where is everyone these days.
Hope everyone is alright.

Hi Jim ... I'm Just fine. Trying to survive in this south GA heat! How are you and Bobby?
... Susan

edited cause my keyboard was malfunctioning! LOL

This message was edited Aug 10, 2007 1:05 PM

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Been in Phoenix, AZ this week with highs around 108, 109 but it's dry heat (you don't notice it - yeah, right).

I saw it's hot 'Lanta on the news last night. Almost set a new record yesterday (1980 was a record 105 which I remember well since the apartment we lived in had a broken AC unit for over a week).

I am so glad we went to SNA yesterday instead of having to work in this heat. Today I am not so lucky, I'm going to have to get to work later today...BLECH. Yesterday PM we were registering 100+ in some good shade.

I work in the sun...

YIPES!

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Please be careful. We had one man pass out yesterday from the heat.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

It is terrible! Can't go outside after ten o'clock, can't breathe the air! Everyone please be careful!! I was up your way this week Mike....in Commerce. I wished I had your addy and phone number, had my Grandbabies with me...we would have called....next time, for sure! Jim, I am sure you are keeping Bobby out of this heat...it is just terrible for people with problems like ours!

Yes ... everyone be careful and stay safe! Drink plenty of water, too!

Thomson, GA

Well, looks like our area made national news this a.m., Fox News - Augusta, GA was top of the list for record breaking temps. 108. with a heat index of 115. And I was out from 7:30 am to 5:30 pm inspecting houses. What was that about mad dogs and Englishmen?

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Oh, my goodness! That is a heated job for sure! I am sure an added problem for Real Estate people and builders too....who can even LOOK at house right now with the inside up to temps to cook a turkey? lol

Be CAREFUL out there!!!

When I got to work yesterday it was 115 and this is just outside of downtown Atlanta. Taking temps at the airport is not so helpful to us who live closer to the inner city, with all the reflective heat (which is only compounded when it is smoggy, heat just bounces back down to earth...). I stayed for an hour and was just SITTING after walking only a 1/4 mile to work. Then got physically ill so they had to drive me home.
YEASH! I so can't wait until we get that greenhouse built at work. It will be
temperature controlled...this AM I rolled outta here as early as possible to go work my volunteer job. That was most sensible. It wasn't bad this AM because of low humidity.

GGG

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Oh, my be careful. We have had record breaking temps here too. I go out early.. water when I can. And PRAY for rain. It has rained all around us several times, but not on my poor flowers and trees

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

My poor grass is turning white .... it is literally parched....and it is Bermuda Grass...hot weather grass...lol wish it would kill off the bermuda in my flower beds! LOL

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Hey yall! I'm here!

I'm up early this morning and am just waiting for the sun to peep up to go out and weed some till it gets too hot.. I could go out in the dark, but don't want to coyotes to get me!

Okay.. if it hasn't been said.. It's way way too hot!!

Usually, I'm one of the moms that doesn't care that school starts in August and the kids ride the bus with no AC... Well, in 100, I care! School starts on Monday and they better have ever single window down coming home. My son sits up in the front row and the driver has a fan up there.. but still .. it's a yellow oven on wheels I'm sure. Jumped in the pool with my kids to cool off yesterday and it was heated to 88 degrees in the pool.. not cool at all! I could just get in at night and pretend it's a spa. :)

I've noticed that people seem to be staying home and not even wanting to travel to places with AC.. Went to get the kids hair cut yesterday and was thinking how I should have not waited till the weekend and the place just wasn't packed. Roads seemed lighter too. People just stay put and slow down in this weather. Icky!!

Susan

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi Susan...yes, it is much easier to stay home. If you go out, you have to get back into an oven, and it take a while for it to cool down. My car is small so it most likely cools down more quickly that a lot of th SUVs etc. I was worried about the kids on those buses too...surely they are thinking about that, and will have those windows down!

There is a breeze up here this morning, not much of one..but it is overcast and a little breeze seems like Heaven compared to what we have been used to this past couple of weeks!

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

Hello everyone, Well I see this weather certinly is a topic of conversation.I went out to check on my worm bins, turned the water to the hose on, and DW motioned me to come to the house, (to inform me about the heat), I was in the house briefly, and when I picked up the big red water hose, I could hardly hold it.I hope we all don't lose our preniels, and the edgewortha, that was looking very Lazy, I built a tent over it, do hate to lose things like that.
Then I thaught, God is still God over all situations, and I don't know who holds tomorrow, but I know who holds my hand.Mike

Janet, sorry I missed seeing you and those presious GC, I did see a pic of them potting some plants, and ment to mention that to you, but you should think a minuet with (my) mind, and you would understand.M

Thomson, GA

Yesterday at 11:45 am, we rode by Walmart and there is a Ryan's Steak House next door. It's one of the few places to eat in Thomson that isn't fast food, and usually has a good crowd. There were 3 cars in the parking lot 15 minutes before the lunch hour, and I'll bet those were staff! It is just too blessed hot to go out if you don't have to.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks Mike, we will do some time soon, though, when things cool down a bit..lol and Amen!

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

Hey Jim, I'm here too. Going to work - going home - staying in mostly. This heat just zaps me.

Brenda

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Hey Jim. I'm around too. Just raising butterflies. Where's Chris? She's raising them too!
Hey, yall, It's raining here! Yeah! I was afraid it was going to be a real gully washer for sure. But it seems to be slowing down a bit. Went to eat supper in Perry and the rain made us stay in Sonny's and eat desert. Oh well, had to have a excuse anyway.

Went to mama's over the weekend. Nice in the mountains but the valley was as bad as South Ga. The temp all the way up was 100 then once we reached the Great Smokies the temp was 77 and breezy. Hated to leave but I left Larry tending to the Bf's. He released three for me while I was gone. He was glad when I got home. Feeding the cats made him nervous. He said he was afraid he'd put the wrong host plant cuttings in the wrong cage. He did good though. I was proud of him even though I called him everyday.

Everybody stay cool.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Hello FRIEND!!! I bet your BF are just beautiful! I wish it was 77 here! This heat is just terrible! No rain for me either...

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Yeah Chris is busy with the bf's. Sure miss her.
We got a little rain today. It seemed to be all around but just not here. Glad everyone is doing ok.

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

No rain here... it sprinkled for 10 minutes night before last.... the first we've had in 3 weeks and that was another 10 minute shower. with 100+ temps,, I am just trying to keep everything alive. Added on to my watering system. The butterflies seem to appreciate when I turn on my misters. And a dragonfly was dipping into a puddle where I was hand watering some new daylilies. I 'drug' some of my poor brugmansias into more shade..they are such water hogs..they better reward me in the fall.

Thumbnail by EFGeorgia1
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I'm thinking I only good for killing Brugs...this is my first year and mine are just pitiful!

Thomson, GA

We got a hard downpour for about 15 minutes last night, hard enough to break a couple of Dahlia stems, but not long enough to do much good.

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Sigh,,,,,

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Hello everybody, I am still here too. ALthough I almost collapsed 2 days ago early morning doing some stuff, I JUST want to finish the front yard! I moved an almost empty compost bin and it came apart! Drops were running down my face, I was wet through and through and this was after barely 40 minutes being outside. I quit, packed in my tools and went inside. Decided to make a new floor plan for it on larger scale. What I had was so small I couldn't properly draw in my plants. This will take a while, for I am no expert in this. Also started renovating the upstairs and now painting a guestroom. Keeps me off the street, right?
We had some downpoor 2 days ago too! LOVELY, I think I thought I heard some singing in the yard (...but that could also be the glass of chardonay's work....ha ha ha)
Good to "hear" ya'll again.
Coby

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Hey, Coby, I was just thinking about you!!! Be careful sweetie! The heat is very dangerous, and especially for those of us stubborn and determined to "get something done" types! Did your Red Lantana do well? I haave little ones sprouting all around where the roots are sending up new bushes..so I thought about yours and wondered how it faired....

Also, I have lots of Fushia Crepe Myrtles coming up around mine, that will be pulled out in the next day or two...so if anyone is wanting these, maybe I can pot them and bring them to the October RU...or you can come here and pick them up if you want..lol Whichever works! Just let me know!

Have a Blessed day everyone!
Janet

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Coby, you are just a workaholic. Better slow down when you go out.
Janet save me some of the CM's and also some of the red lantana if you can.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I can do that Jim, how many of each would you like...you are my first taker....lol I have several Lantana I am goig to try and pot up some of them this coming week when I have help outside. I know I have some of the really tall Yellow/Orange ones that are small, again from taking out the Mama bush, the Red which is a shorter bush type, and I also have some yellow that spreads.

Here is a picture of the Fushia Crep Myrtle

Thumbnail by JanetS
Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Janet, that Fushia CM IS beautiful!!!! Yes, I would love to have some of it. After all the backyard is still empty. I will come and pick it up in Braselton, since I am defin. not coming to RU in Oct. Rather than keep it in a pot could you put it in ground, it might be a while before I can place it. Is that okay??
And yes, I am taking it slow now. I was def. not well the other day in spite of drinking lots of water, have learned a lesson.
Your Lantana's do well. I have a Confetti, Orange (near mailbox) and a Red in large zinc pot. All are doing well and blooming. In fact all the plants I got from you are doing well except the 2 climbers (forgot their names even) those I've lost (I think).

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

yes, be careful.. I spend a lot of time outside, but come in frequently to cool down. And I stay mostly in the shade. We need rain so much!!!! Have had 2 showers in the past month and a half that lasted about 10 minutes. I rains all around us and we get none.... whine, whine. Guess I should be thankful we are not being flooded like Texas.
Elaine

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Cody, you can pot it or put it right in the spot you would like it to grow. I haven't dug them up yet, so whenever you want to come out, just give me a holler!

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Janet, will do. Will contact you before hand and I'll come and have a cuppa tea wi u.
I have been a good girl. Just pinched some flowers, took a few weeds away and planted 2 basil plants (one bought and one grown from 1 leaf!!!) in sunny spot but close to soaker hose, and then went inside. THAT's ALL!!!
At end of this week I have a tree comp. come to take away 3 almost dead big pines in frontyard. After that I can really finish it. Yeahhh.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

okay, sounds great! Stay cool lady!!!

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Hey there yall! :)

I got my well dug and they hit water yesterday!! I guess you could say they hit pay dirt! HA HA pay dirt! :) get it??

I was paying by the foot and we were thinking we would have to go to at least 600 feet and maybe get about 6-10 gallons a minute. The drill broke and they were here much longer than anticipated.. and they had to run over some of my side garden to get their huge rigs into my backyard.. but none of that matters cause.. drum roll........ I GOT 25 GALLONS A MINUTE AT 265 FEET!! whOOOO HOOOOO!!! I'm elated!!!! When he came to the door and told me I jumped up and down and took the kids back there to all play in it barefoot. It was a real sweet thing to see my boys in that cool well water :) My son was asking how they dig and come up with a lake under there.. good question!! Now they will hook up a pump and the electrician will hook up power and then I will have my irrigation guy hook up to the well and put in some spickets and I can water the street if I want to! Maybe I can squirt the water department truck when they ride by now :) The water stays 60 degrees all year round.. It felt so cool and wonderful. I will get some pictures loaded and share :) It's really a gardeners dream to have unlimited water :)

Yea!! :)

Susan

This message was edited Aug 22, 2007 3:31 PM

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Susan, Contratulations on getting your very own water supply that had been literally under your feet the whole time! So now the city will cut their supply off from you, right? Hey, squirt that nosey neighbor when you water the Texas star hibsicus! ROFL!

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

I have been worried about you because you haven't posted recently. Glad to know you were doing something you wanted to do. I know you are glad to get the water going.

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

Susan, you go girl! Congratulations - I'm brown with envy HA HA! Get it? Seriously, I am very happy for you. What did that set you back if you don't mind me asking. With my $150 a month summer water bill, I'm certainly interested.

Brenda

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Great news Susan..please give us all the details..I have no idea how a well works these days...the only ones I am familiar with are the ones with the bucket on a rope..lol

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

That's really great Susan - your very own well - that will be so much better than spraying chlorine on your plants. We have a little creek beside our property, but it has about a 25 ft drop down to it. For years my DH has said he would try to put in a pump, but as yet it has not happened. A neighbor down the street did it, but it is only about a 5 ft drop for him.. He has the greenest lush yard around. I do fear that if we don't get some rain soon, that even the creek might go down so low we could not pump it. Your well can go dry too - I hope all your neighbors don't decide to do it or your pressure might go down. I'm not sure, but I think I heard that even if you have a well, creek, you still need to go by the same restricted hours???? Even if that were true, it would sure save on your water bill.

I am really frustrated now trying to keep up the watering, just to keep things alive - I really am losing my 30 yr old Rhodies and all my small azaleas. Things are so spread out here, that I just can't get them all watered well enough in the alloted hours. For the first time this week, I have started cheating, I am afraid it is too late for several things tho. And now we must put a couple of inches back in the pool or the motor will burn up.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.