Hollyhock ........again

Springfield, OH(Zone 6a)

My Black Magic Hollyhock is finished blooming it seems I would like to remove the whole stalks, can I do that and be able to get viable seed from them? They are still green. Sorry, I know Hollyhocks have been asked about a millon times on this forum.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I let the pods brown then collected them. After that I cut the stalk and new growth is coming from the old stalk roots.

Kathy

Springfield, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks so much Kathy! This is my first year with Hollyhock. I will do what is recommended. Very nice of you to help me out. Thanks again,
Sandy

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Others may have better suggestions but this worked for me. Kathy

Crozet, VA

This was my first year with hollyhock too. Even though I only had 4 plants, they really grew tall and gave out lands and loads of seed pods. I collected some of each color yesterday to have for next year.

I had pink, maroon and white ones. I would be interested in trading seeds for different colors from mine. Anyone?

I am so thankful for Dave's Garden.

Ruby

Springfield, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi Ruby! I know how you feel, I love DG.
My hollyhock are not "black" by any measure, but more of a dark burgundy, I love hollyhock but do not wish to grow any next year, my space is very limited.
For SASBE you are welcome to this seed. If you want it.

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

I just came into this forum to ask about Hollyhock seeds...so I'll just ask in this thread, hope that's ok!

My single yellow Hollyhock's seed is just starting to ripen now. My question is what color *exactly* is the seed when it's ripe? lol. Should they be completely black, or is it ok if they have the yellow/tanish ring around the outside of the seed?

I just don't want to be picking too soon, I've never been known for my patience, lol!!
Thanks!

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I think they need to brown and darken first. But I'm no expert, this is my first season with HH. But they need to be ripe and I think when they are in the tanish stage they are not ripe. Let them stay on longer. Just my opinion....you better ck
kathy

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

The pods are brown and papery and the "leaves" are pulling back from the discs. Some of the seeds are all black but some still have an edge that is that funny brown/tan/mustard color. The center of the seed is black. Just wondering when y'all pick yours.

Crozet, VA

Thank you for the offer of burgandy hh seed, Crash. I am going to pass on that one since it is a color that I already have. Actually I hoping to get yellow and red seeds, hint, hint.

Shihtzhumom is correct Heathr. The pods need to be brown and dry to the touch. Actually the ones that I picked off yesterday were at the crumbling stage. When I touched them, the seeds went every where. I am not sure how many volunteer hh I will have next year because of it, ha-ha.

Heathr, I would like to offer to trade some either, pink, burgandy or white ones for some of you yellow ones. Are you up for that?

Anyone?

Ruby

Crozet, VA

Hmmmm....sorry that I can't help you figure it out. This is my first year with hh's. Just save some of them that look each way and when planting next year, keep notes on which ones do the best.

Actually Heather, I just went and checked on the ones that I picked yesterday. Most of mine seem to have the light color ridge around the outside of them. I am hoping that they are the ones that will grow.

Ruby

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

I've saved many seeds, so I'm not a novice. I've just not done HH seeds before. The pod was dry to the touch, but not crumbly. I'll wait before I harvest any more. And I don't know why, but I find this whole conversation hilarious...a tanish/brown/mustard colored ring...LOL!!

I'm up for trading my single yellow HH seeds with anyone who would want some! I *love* to trade seeds! Anyone who would like some can go ahead and send me a d-mail, I've got plenty left on the plant waiting to ripen. As long as they ripen before we get a frost (oooh, that nasty word, and I went and said it!!)

Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

Be aware of that insidious little Hollyhock weevil. If you look closely at some of the individual seeds you may see a tiny hole on the edge. One year I made the mistake of putting my stash of HH seed in a zip-lock and kept it in our nice warm house. Boy what a mess of weevils that was. A couple weeks in the freezer seemed to kill the larvae. When the lower pods begin to dry and the "husk" begins to open you can clip them off the stalk, bag them and stick them in the fridge or freezer.

Crozet, VA

Yuck and thanks for the warning. I will be on the lookout.

Ruby

Silsbee, TX(Zone 9a)

Yes, thank you...and yes, yuck!! LOL

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

There is a good verbal description of how to harvest hollyhocks at the Wintersow.org site:

http://www.wintersown.org/wseo1/Hollyhock_Seeds.html

And here is a good photo of the seed, which always has a notch in the side, it's the hole in the middle you don't want.
http://theseedsite.co.uk/db1a.html

Suzy

Crozet, VA

Wonderful website Suzy. Thank you for sending. It will help out for sure.

Ruby

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Balvenie, if there is evidence that weevils have infiltrated the seeds (holes), does that mean that the seeds should be trashed, or is tossing them in the freezer good enough?

Scratch that, I found the answer.

This message was edited Sep 21, 2007 6:05 PM

Crozet, VA

Hi Wrightie, would you mind posting the answer?

Ruby

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Hey Ruby, I think it is necessary to toss out any of the seeds that have holes as they are probably no good. Then stick the rest of the seeds in the freezer for a couple weeks. If I'm wrong about that, someone please correct me.

Crozet, VA

Thanks Wrightie.

Ruby

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.