apple press

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

Anyone have any recommendations on an apple press?

Thanks,
Gwen

Baltimore, MD

I have a Correll grinder/press which is well-built and works fine. I would prefer a more modern type press since many improvements have been made in apple grinding and pressing technology, but the homeowner-scale presses have not incorporated them. So I think the Correll is about as good as you can do. Make sure you get a grinder of some sort, you won't get much yield of juice without grinding (not just cutting them up). The Correll presses are combo grinder/press.

Scott

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

Out of curiosity, why not just use juicers?? Won't that work just as well??

Baltimore, MD

You mean like a carrot juicer? You can't eat the seeds stem or core so those would have to be cut out first. After those are cut out I guess you could make a "mush" out of the apples. It would be quite dense I would guess, more like applesauce.

Scott

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

Really, I thought that the applesauce would stay up in the pulp compartment and he juice would flow down. Now I'm all curious.. Think I have to try it out next time I get some apples.. Humm...

Baltimore, MD

I don't know much about juicers, I had thought they just ground up everything. It sounds like they would work fine if the pulp was collected by something, and if so would be a whole lot easier for small batch sizes. The apple press is designed for when you have a big tree with multiple bushels of apples.

Scott

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

ah.. Okay.. cuz guess me and my little bag of apples don't quite qualify for bushel status.. Makes sense though.. The juicer would only be able to do small batches..

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

A good juicer will separate the pulp from the juice. Like the champion juicer which I've always wanted.

But I'm not sure, the apples seem to be different. First you have to mash the apples, then squeeze the juice out. It seems to be a two-step process. I suppose you could do small quantities in a juicer but might also not get as much juice out doing it that way.

Gwen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.