Going to Atlanta? try the Botanical Garden

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

We did, and all loved it. Started gawking on the walk from parkng lot to entrance.. Unbelieveable- this is just a tiny sample.

Thumbnail by sallyg

the coolest water plant

Thumbnail by sallyg

sundew from a special carnivorous plant display

Thumbnail by sallyg

here are some nice 'pitcher's

Thumbnail by sallyg

are YOU lookin' at ME???

Thumbnail by sallyg

that was part of orchid section , other greenhouses with tropicals were great, some tropical frogs loose and some beautiful bright ones on aquaria(poisonous?) hard to get a picture thru the glass(believe me, son and DH tried and tried)
Palm leaf?

Thumbnail by sallyg

unfortunately, Maintenance seems to have a bug problem outside

Thumbnail by sallyg

I guess they're using integrated pest management, there were beneficials...

This message was edited Aug 4, 2007 1:49 PM

Thumbnail by sallyg

part of a special exhibit of ten or so works

There were cacti and succulents.
I guess there was everything I could think of... couldn't photo it all of course. Well worth the admission ($8) Didn't see it all cuz the kids could only absorb so much in one visit. Its a mile or two from the Olympic park downtown, in a pretty nice revitalized area. We didn't get into the Aquarium(sold out), Coca cola seemed notworth 15 bucks per to be advertised at, and Olypic Park on Sat eve in summer was chock full of people, kids playing in the fountains, and the 'garden walk' there was off limits due to a wedding.....so this was really our highlight of atlanta!
Hope you enjoyed the tour. : ^)

Thumbnail by sallyg
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Sally I want that waterplant in the second post ! And the spider & web!

Was that handsome young man with you?

Thanks for sharing.

I think that water plant was called fishscale..something. . No luck in plantfiles yet....
yes that is my younger DS, thanks for noticing my baby!
Dragonfly might have been my favorite, but it was the first one seen too...Didn't get a pic of the ten foot tall ant...

Thumbnail by sallyg
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Sally, I found it !
https://www.pondmegastore.com/shop/product.php?productid=16298&cat=283&page=1

However I don't think I would make it through my cold winters, and @ $9.00 + shipping I'll just enjoy the pictures. Sigh !

Yeah, mosaic- that was it ! Now that you mention it, I guess downtown of Atlanta is maybe zone 9 even and you're cooler than me.... sorry! or they could afford to buy new yearly anyway.......

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

What a lovely visit you & your family had to the Botanical Gardens in Atlanta! Thanks so much for sharing you lovely pictures with us and your son looks great posing amongst the luxuriant foliage. I would have also been gawking at all the beautiful plants and flowers from the moment I got out of the car too.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Sally, Thanks for the trip. We might be headed for Atlanta in Sept I really want to see that Aquarium might take 2 days there and see the gardens too. I just love that water plant, soooo neat. They sure do have a bug problem down south. LOL Beautiful pics and a good looking baby, too.

Aquarium sells tickets for certain hours, maybe the Aq you go to does the same. Gardens are an easy drive from Aquarium area. We only spent an hour in gardens because of kids but you could easily want to take it more leisurely. spend two hours.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.