Is rhubarb in kohl family?

Milton, NH(Zone 5a)

Does anyone know if rhubarb is in the same family as broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage? An old folk remedy is that it is a cure for stomache and intestinal cancer. My great grandfather was said to have been cured by rhubarb.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Rhubarb is in the Rheum family, related to buckwheat. Here's a good place for more info on it:
http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/

Cabbage, etc. are crucifers or brassicas.

This message was edited Aug 3, 2007 11:42 PM

I know that the roots have been used for various bowel conditions ...but whatever you do don't mess with the leaves as they will make you very ill and can even kill some individuals....the stalks are fine even so don't eat tons or you will get a tummy ache and the trots. I really enjoy it as a food.I grow my own.

Milton, NH(Zone 5a)

Thanks Yuska and Chrissy, the info was helpful.

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

chrissy100 - how do you eat it?

Milton, NH(Zone 5a)

Rhubarb is typically stewed with sugar. Otherwise it is inedible because of its extreme tartness. Most commonly it is mixed with strawberries for strawberry-rhubarb pie. YUMMY.

Or rhubarb crumble....I know it sounds strange but a squeeze of lemon goes well when stewing....apple and rhubarb pie is popular here.It makes an interesting chutney.....and another way is to stew it up with raspberry jelly in the water (I think you folk call it Jello) or strawberry jelly,if watching the weight it is a wonderful almost free of calorie desrt if you stew it up in diet lemonade...and you can eat that with low fat yoghurt if you want too.....I like stewed rhubarb on whole wheat toast instead of jam.

Milton, NH(Zone 5a)

Yummy. In general when does it come in season, early summer, fall, etc. ?

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

late spring here.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.