Fuyus, ready to eat.

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

We shared our first Fuyu Persimmon this morning. Very good. Many more to come.

Thumbnail by trois
Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

They are somewhat larger than last year.

Thumbnail by trois
Longboat Key, FL

OK Now I know.

: )

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Where did you get your trees), trois? My orders from Stark Bros and Edible Landscaping died after just a couple of years.

Longboat Key, FL

And, how big were they when you received them, and how long before you got fruit?

: )

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

dude.. me jealous.. Wish I can grow those here.. I love those.. **sigh**

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

The County was giving them away. About 2 feet tall, had about 3 fruits the first year, more every year. They are very easy to grow, just be careful not to over fertilize, as too much Nitrogen will cause fruit drop. I thought they were cold hardy. Will check.

trois

Zone 7a is the limit. Sorry. A half barrel with wheels should work so you could roll it in someplace in the coldest months.

This message was edited Aug 2, 2007 3:28 PM

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

trios, everything I've seen said the non-astringent type is not cold hardy. I think only the soft astringent type can handle the cold weather up here.

But if I'm wrong... I would be soo soo soo very happy.. **dreaming and wishing here**

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

They taste good also but do require a lot of patience. Some of those grow near here and the squirrels never let them get ripe.
I noticed that Wal-mart had small Fuyus from Chile a while back. They were expensive.

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

I grew up in CA and don't recall seeing many squirrels. Maybe that's why we didn't have squirrel problems then.. Now, I got issues with the deers here..

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

The only squirrels I saw in Ca. were ground squirrels. I think up in Northern Ca. they have Douglas squirrels. I have never seen one.

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

Dunno, I grew up in East Bay (SF) and we never saw much wildlife at all. We had like every imaginable fruit tree in the back yard and no birds, no squirrels, etc ever bothered any of the fruits... Only thing was my overweight little bro. Just had to get to it before him.. :)

Otherwise, we had fruits coming out of our ears..

This message was edited Aug 2, 2007 4:29 PM

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

That sounds great!

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

Persimmons are my favorite fruit. My Fuyus are still green, green, green and don't start to ripen until late October. I've never seen them ripen this early. Going green with envy. Back in San Jose, I had two large Fuyus that produced enough for me to dry and enjoy them for most of the year. Birds have been a bigger problem than squirrels here and back in San Jose.

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Mine have never been this early before. I only noticed they were getting ripe by seeing a Mockingbird looking them over.
So far the squirrels have left the Fuyu alone and just eat the natives.
There are still a lot of very green ones on the tree.
It would take thousands before I would do something other than eat them fresh. My favorite also.

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

mine also but I only like mine fresh.. don't like the tried type.. not that we ever had enough to dry.. after my bro, there was barely enough for the rest of the family... guess others would have considered my bro the rodent... :)

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Did your bro like all fruit, or just the Fuyus?

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

bro wasn't overweight just on Fuyus.. lets just leave it at that.. lolll.. :)

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

I now have 2 fuyus.They are growing very well but no fruit this year.One was bare root,a replacement for the one last year that didn't make it.The other is from Edible Landscaping and was in a pot.

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Next year you should be happy. They are good producers if not over fertilized.

They will be bringing them to Costco soon I hope.The fruit that is.

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Good luck. Do they normally carry them?

trois

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

Costco, I hope so. I've never seen them. Where did you hear that Costco will start carrying them??

Costco carries them during the season which is Fall.They usually have them for a few weeks.

I like to buy most of my produce from local farms but there are things that don't grow here and Costco carries the best.I get red papaya,yellow mangos,figs as well as persimmons from them in season.

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

I've gotten mangos, papaya and asian pears from them. I haven't seen figs or persimmons yet.. Wonder if they don't carry it this far north in NY..

I was surprised to see figs in July but I also have a first crop on my three trees.The bigger crop is in the Fall and so are the persimmons.

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Our fig trees are well into their second crop. We eat the Kadotas fresh, the squirrels eat the others.

Maybe what I thought was the first crop was really the second?My squirrels haven't found the figs.They are too busy with other things.I love fresh figs.

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

We have been eating one or two a day for almost a month. The tree is still loaded. Many more to come. All good.

Yummy.

trois

My mouth is watering.They haven't arrived at Costco yet.

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

I wish we had a Costco near us. it's about 50 miles to the nearest.

New Iberia, LA

Do you pick your persimmons before they are completely ripe? I am trying that this year because the mocking birds just love them. I don’t know why they will not completely eat one before pecking another but it drives me crazy. Don’t misunderstand, I love the mocking birds but just wish they would develop better table manners.
I have several picked and placed on the kitchen counter, and they are getting very close to the very soft ripe stage.
Oldude

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

The birds peck where they can reach. They would eat more of each fruit if they could move to secure footing at a different angle to get at another section.

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

We pick them as soon as they turn slightly orange.
Mocking birds do indeed love them. We leave one out in a reachable location and they continue eating that one, usually. Picking them early does not change the final taste, at least as far as we can tell.

trois

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Trois - how big is your tree? And how old is it? I'd like to find a spot for one of these.

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

Yum! I love Persimmons. I have 3 different trees that I purchased Last Fall. They are grafted and about 4ft know. I hope they get a few fruit next year.
Yum, Yum!

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

It is about 8 feet tall, 5 years old and has had fruit every year, but never as many as this year. We are still having a couple a day since I posted this thread.
It was just a little over 2 feet tall when we got it. One of the best trees we have ever had.

trois

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I'll bet it's really pretty with those orange fruits on it. If it doesn't get hugely wide or tall, I may have a place for one. Thanks for the info. Trois.

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

It is about 8 feet tall and 8 feet wide. They can be pruned. We pick them as soon as they start to get orange or the Mockingbirds will make holes in each of them.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Just like my tomatoes... thanks Trois.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.