Any Artichoke Growers Around?

Danbury, CT(Zone 6a)

I'm growing artichokes for the first time this year. I started Imperial Star seeds in February indoors. I have 6 plants and four of the six are producing buds! This is very exciting to me. I love artichokes and can't wait to eat one, which I'm thinking about doing tonight. My first bud, the terminal bud in the attached photo, is now 3.5" x 3.5". Visually, it looks like it's about ready to be picked. I know that you can't go wrong picking too early, but if you wait too long, it can be woody. Everything I've read says to pick before it starts to open. Of course, once it starts to open, you can't go back, right? So I'm wondering how long I can go before picking? This one is going to be for dinner tonight, but I have others on the way.

I also know that the side shoots are much smaller and do not get nearly as big as the terminal bud, but again, how big do I wait for it to get before picking?

Anyone out there know?

Thanks,
Jen

Thumbnail by jenhillphoto
Toledo, OH(Zone 6a)

Oh how beautiful! I gotta try that next year!

YUM!

Warren, PA(Zone 5a)

Hi Jen,

I'm not growing artichokes, but I like eating them and I agree with Bolino. Beautiful!! I'll be interested in the feedback you get on this thread.

BDale

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

Yes, Jen. Please do let us know. I just got artichoke seeds to plant next year. So this is good info to know.

BTW, I'm right by you on the NY side.. We shop at Danbury mall all the time.. :)

Danbury, CT(Zone 6a)

Waiting for hubby to get home so I can have him watch me cut my artichoke. Am I silly or what? It's a big deal to me.

Well, maybe my experiences will help someone else. So here goes. I had pretty bad germination my first try at starting seeds in seed starting mix. Only two sprouted and one of them was all white! It grew a little, but didn't make it. So my second set, I started in wet paper towels and then after they sprouted, transplanted to seed starting mix. That gave me good germination that time. Somehow, I missed reading that Imperial Star is able to grow as an annual and flower the first year. I had read about fooling the plant to think it had gone through a winter by setting it out in the cold, below 50 degrees, but not freezing weather in the spring. So I did that starting April 20. Maybe I didn't need to, but it certainly didn't hurt, since I have buds now. I planted them out in the garden May 17. July 10, I found my first artichoke bud by spreading the leaves apart. Today is the 31st, so that is 3 weeks now since it emerged. I noticed early on, when they were small plants in cups, that if their soil dried out at all, the leaves would quickly shrivel up. So I keep them watered. They are big plants and seem pretty sturdy now.

Bolino- I hope you do try to grow some. It's been a very exciting experience for me, especially when the buds finally appeared.

BDale-Yup, love eatin' em too. I have to share this one with Hubby as the next one is not quite big enough to pick yet.

Icosden-Yup, I know where Pawling is, of course! I live a couple miles from the mall. Was just there today in fact. :) What kind of artichoke seeds did you get?

Still hoping someone comes along and has some input for me.

Thanks!

Jen

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

Jen, I got just got Emerald Artichoke artichoke seeds about two weeks ago. I was thinking about trying to wintersow them.. And what were you doing up my way.. there's not much around me except Trinity Pawling school... :)

Danbury, CT(Zone 6a)

Tee hee, I meant I was at the mall yesterday, Icosden. Haven't been to Pawling in ages and I can't even remember why we might have been there in the past.

Danbury, CT(Zone 6a)

Okay, I cut my artichoke last night and cooked it up for dinner. Here it is with the other dinner ingredients from my garden last night. We have, a 13 oz Super Bush tomato, garlic (didn't look to see which one it was, sorry), 6 LaRatte Fingerling Potatoes, and the artichoke.

I think I waited a wee bit too long on picking the artichoke because some of the leaves were tough even after cooking for longer than I normally would have cooked an artichoke. I cooked it simply, steaming it and serving with some melted butter for dipping. The heart was extremely tender and melted in our mouths. I will pick the next artichoke sooner and see if that helps things.

This message was edited Aug 1, 2007 8:59 AM

Toledo, OH(Zone 6a)

Beautiful, tasty, YUM!

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

MMmmm... Looks delicious girl..

Nice shopping.. We were were there last weekend too.. :)

Warren, PA(Zone 5a)

That Jenhill knows how to grow `em and how to photograph `em REAL nice (and, apparently, how to cook `em too!). Impressive :)

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Ill be growing artichoke next year. The last time i grew some, i had to move shortly after. Never saw the results. What nutrient/vitamin does the artichoke have?

Danbury, CT(Zone 6a)

"What nutrient/vitamin does the artichoke have?"

I dunno. I just like to eat them.

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

Artichoke is veggie so it can't be bad. I'm sure it's just chock full of those goodies that you want to stay healthy. But when it taste that good, who cares.. :)

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

jen - i have tried to grow artichokes a few times and never got anywhere with them.

let me get this right. you started our seeds in february. what week it february did you do this?? did you do any repotting??
i'm not clear about fooling the plant and putting them out april 20th. does that mean you placed the plants in the containers outdoors during the day and them took them back in at night??

if you have time i hope you might be able to d-mail me with exactly what you did to get those beauties. my wife loves them and i would like to grown them. do you think they would grow in 5 gallon containers??

thanks
frank

icosden - i live down the road from you and i am going to the danbury mall later this morning. have to go to stew leonards first. if you have never been there you are missing a truly great food shopping trip.

Danbury, CT(Zone 6a)

Sure, I can be more specific. I'm going to post it here in the thread because there may be other people who I confused with my first ramblings.

First of all, I have a question for you Frank, what type of artichokes did you try in the past? I’m just curious because I got my Imperial Star seeds from Johnny’s and it says on their website that they are supposed to produce flowers the first year, like an annual. From what I understand, artichokes are perennials and found in areas where winters are mild and flower the second year. Nearly 100 percent of the US artichokes are grown in Monterey, CA. So in cold areas, it would be hard to keep them alive through a winter so that they can flower for you.

So I had read that you can grow artichokes as an annual. You can spur flower growth the first year, by chilling the young plants, at about 6 weeks old, before planting out. They need 250 hours of below 50 degree and above 35 degree temperatures.

I started my first set of seeds February 14. The seeds are very hard shelled. Only two sprouted, one of them white (I dunno why). Only one, the green one, survived.

Started second batch of seeds February 28, by sprouting in damp paper towels in a ziplock bag in my kitchen first, then transferring to seed starting mix in small cells. Takes a few days for them to sprout, but I didn’t record exactly how long. I just check them daily. Got another white one again, but it did not survive either. They stayed indoors, under fluorescent lights in my basement, which is about 50-58 degrees in the winter, I think.

March 28, I potted them up into 20 oz Styrofoam cups (holes in the bottom for drainage of course) into potting mix (MG if you want to know). Still in the basement under lights.

April 20, at 7 weeks, I started putting them outside. I thought it was too cold at 6 weeks. I would watch the weather forecast and if it was supposed to be near 35 degrees, I’d put them in my cold frame, if not, they stayed outside on my patio step. If it was to be frost, I brought them inside, which wasn’t often. They never experienced frost.

May 17, I planted them out permanently in my garden in my raised planting beds with lots of shredded leaves added in the fall. The plants were still pretty small. I was prepared to cover them if there was a frost warning, but I never had to.

Incidentally, I made my cold frame out of lumber and a window that was torn out of my house during a renovation project this spring. I have enough materials to make three more and I think we will do that sometime in the future. All I have to buy is a couple of hinges. I prop the top open with a 2x4.

Recently, I read that Imperial Star artichokes are supposed to flower the first year. So now I'm wondering if I even needed to do all that. But as I said, it didn't hurt! As of yesterday 5 out of 6 of my plants have buds.

I don't grow in many containers, so I don't know about the five gallon container. But it couldn't hurt to try. I'm always willing to try something myself. I would just watch that they stay watered in the containers. I noticed my containers dry out faster than my planting beds and I have to watch them. Of course, you know more about container growing than I do, but I just wanted to mention it because they got shriveled if they dried out. They are big plants. I probably planted mine closer than you're supposed to. The recommendation is 3-4' apart! But I pretty much plant everything intensively in my raised beds and get lots of produce. I figure that added depth of the bed makes up for some of the closeness. Anyway, it was either plant them close, or try to find a home for one or two plants. It seems more trouble than just sticking it in the ground! So far, they aren't doing bad, so I'm knocking on wood that it will all be okay. I am going to try to protect them with leaves in the fall and see if they will survive the winter.

Hope I didn't leave anything out!

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

Jen, I heard the same thing about tricking the plants to have them set buds for you the first year. Nice job going through the steps. I will be using that this spring. :)

And Frank, we're in wappinger's all the time. My DH and his parents loves to go to Sappore for dinner.. Their favorite restaurant.. :)

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

jenhill - thank you for that full explanation. i don't remember what seeds i started it was so long ago. i will give it a try next season. i have a jhonnys seeds book here so i will place an order.i do not hve a cold frame but i will do at you said and put them out on the patio where i can provide some cover.

thanks for all that info. i hope i can get a crop likes yours.

lcosden - thats a nice place. have you ever tried the double o. its my new favorite place.

Danbury, CT(Zone 6a)

Any of you who do grow artichokes next year, please post your results.

As of yesterday, all six plants have buds. I cut the terminal bud on the second plant last night. It was much smaller, but it looked like the leaves were starting to loosen. This one was a bit better toughness-wise. Now I have to figure out how big the secondary buds are supposed to be. The ones on the first plant, don't look like they are growing anymore, so I think I should probably pick those. Eventually, with practice, I'll get this down.

Toledo, OH(Zone 6a)

At least you get to eat your mistakes!!!!

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

Loll.. You certainly do get to eat them whether you make a mistake or not.. :) And we will post our results too. I do wonder if you just leave them in, if they'd produce buds again the next year??

Frank, we never heard of Double O. Where is it and what type of food do they have??

Fern Park, FL(Zone 9b)

Found this out about artichoke nutrition:

Excellent source of fiber and vitamin C , and a good source of magnesium, folate, copper, potassium and phosphorus.

Jen-you're veggies look amazing! You must be so proud-I would be!

Danbury, CT(Zone 6a)

I always knew they were good for you! Thanks for looking that up. I am proud. :)

Clarence likes them too. Here he was looking into the artichoke bed and I called his name so he would turn around. He likes to garden too.

Warren, PA(Zone 5a)

Between the tropical-like leaves of the artichoke and his bright coat, Clarence looks like the "king of the jungle" there! Cute!

Danbury, CT(Zone 6a)

That's funny BDale. I sure he feels that way. I want to put a sign on my garden entrance that says welcome to the jungle. We often tell Clarence he looks like a Liger. Ever see one? They are a cross between and lion and tiger and look like a giant tabby cat.

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

Clarence does look like a liger.. I've never seen one before so I went to check them out at this website and sure enough.. That's so awesome.. :)

http://www.vet.upenn.edu/schoolresources/communications/publications/bellwether/62/animal_crackers.html

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

you have encouraged me to try growing the 'annual' artichokes next year! thanks.

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

does anyone know they put out more buds the following year if you leave them in after harvest??

Danbury, CT(Zone 6a)

The imperial star artichoke can be perennial if it makes it through the winter. They need extra protection. You cut the stalk down to 12 inches tall and then mulch with leaves and straw. I've also read to cover them with a tarp on top of that. I'm going to try it this winter. I'll let you know if they make it. If not, nothing lost I suppose.

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

Jen, that would be great if you could. Especially since I'm near by. Think I'd have the same results as you if I try to overwinter them..

Warren, PA(Zone 5a)

Just put a little warm buttery dish of artichoke dipping sauce out there in the spring to revive them :)

Toledo, OH(Zone 6a)

Just put a little warm buttery dish of artichoke dipping sauce out there in the spring to revive them :)

LOL!!!!!

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

icosden - its between home depot and the outback. they have an extensive menu and have over 10 pages of antipastas. if you ever go there i recomment the seafood paella and the double o appertizer which can feed four people.

its one of my favorite places. and, the portions are very large and thats what counts for me. LOL

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

Frank, that place sounds great.. I'll have to see about going there to check it out..

Victoria, BC(Zone 8a)

I grew an artichoke from a seed and had fresh artichokes for years, until the plant just gave up. I have finally replaced it this year and am looking forward to more chokies. It's the BEST excuse for having garlic butter! ;-)

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

Teresa, how did you overwinter them? Guess from what you're saying, overwintering will allow the plants to produce more buds the next year..

Victoria, BC(Zone 8a)

I did nothing to over-winter the plant. It just sat in my vegetable garden during the winter. It proved to be pretty hardy here. It turns out to be a pretty large plant, so in you zone, you'd have to drag in a very large pot into your garage or someplace that's cool.

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

Teresa, sorry but what zone are you in?? I though you'd be in the same zone or colder being further north and all..

Northeast Harbor, ME

We grow 'em in Maine too!

This message was edited Aug 6, 2007 3:27 PM

Thumbnail by watersedge
Danbury, CT(Zone 6a)

Excellent!!! So getting back to my original question, how do you tell when they are ready to pick????

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.