Anyone have experience using Superthrive?

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

I was wondering how Superthrive can be used. To root cuttings? To perk up sickly plants? Any comments would be appreciated.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

It's not a rooting hormone, how it's generally used is as a booster when you transplant something--it has vitamins and things in it that will help the roots to grow stronger faster. For cuttings since they don't have roots yet, you'd be better off using rooting hormone to get them going, then once they have roots the Super Thrive might help. For sickly plants it depends on what's wrong with them whether it'll help or not, if they were recently transplanted and suffering from transplant shock then I would definitely try it, but if they're suffering from insects or disease or the wrong amt of watering, etc then it probably won't do as much.

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

Thanks for your comments. I have been having some problems getting Aloysia virgata cuttings to root. I had little success last year. A few weeks ago, I took some more A. virgata cuttings and placed them in water with SuperThrive for about 45 minutes prior to treating them with rooting hormone and placing them on the mist bench. About 1/3 of the time they were in the SuperThrive solution, I turned the cuttings upside down so that the leaves might absorb some of the solution. The cuttings have never wilted and look great. I took more cuttings last week and treated them the same. So far the cuttings are looking great. Last year, the leaves on the cuttings wilted, even under mist, so at least this is not happening after the soaking.

Presque Isle, MI(Zone 5a)

An excellent nursery near Alpena uses Superthrive by the gallon$$. They have very good quality plants. I have used it with mixed results. I will try the soaking the cutting trick that you mentioned..Sound interesting. Some mail order companies soak the plants in Superthrive just prior to shipping.

Gary

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.