Giant Pumpkins Part 2

Tri-Cities, WA(Zone 7b)

Only the 8-year-old has noticed this one so far. It's about a week and a half old, growing off in the brush. I expect the green around it is protecting it a bit from the 100+ weather we've had for the last month or two. I suppose I ought to pull it out and check for slugs, etc. We don't have too many vegetable pests in our organic gardens.

Thumbnail by tropicalaria
Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

thats a pretty pumpkin tropic.

About growing the plant: Some growers only let 8-10 feet of vine grow past the pumpkin then they terminate the vine. They say the vines past the pumpkin dont do much for the pumpkin. But yesterday some other experienced growers said that they let their main vine grow about 20 feet before setting a pumpkin on it then let it grow 20 feet past the pumpkin. They said by the time you get half way through growing your pumpkin the leaves behind it to the stump start dieing off. This we know. But the plant past the pumpkin is still thriving because it is newer and will feed the pumpkin when the rest behind it is dieing. I don't know if the theory is right or not cause I am no expert.
But it makes since to me.
So while most of you are starting your pumpkin patch right now for next year, you can ponder on how big you need the patch.
Also, some have nutrient holes. This hole is where you plant your pumpkin. The hole can be differant sizes around but mostly 30 to 36 inches deep. Some are 3x3x3deep.
Some 6x6x3deep.
You just dig out a hole and replace the soil with manures, leaves, promix, and anything that would give the hole nutrients. Some put slow release fertilizer in it at planting time so the plant has a good start. I personally would dig my hole in the fall after the patch was cleaned up and I would put whole fish in the hole. You can go fishing and catch a few--freeze it --and add to the hole when time comes. Just an idea for the organic growers.
Most giant pumpkin growers are mostly organic but most do use a little commerical fertilizer too---which most came from the earth somewhere.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

This female is growing kinda slow. But I also didn't water yesterday. The temps are 99 today with heat index of 107.
I already know that this pumpkin is not goin to the national state fair but most likely the local fair.
The plant is fading away behind the pumpkin. I do not have room in my patch to let the vines grow far out past the pumpkin. The only thing I could possibly do is let the new growth run into the old patch area and take the place of the old. Sigh.

Day 8 after pollination 21"cc

Thumbnail by CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

I noticed yesterday that the vine the pumpkin is on is dead-rotted at the main vine junction. I don't think the main vine or the rest of the plant is feeding the secondary vine that the pumpkin is on. That same secondary is putting out tertiary vines behind the pumpkin and I am goin to let them grow and root them to the ground.

9 days after pollination : 23"cc + 18" +18 1/2" = 59.5" OTT

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Curious to know why the plant has these clusters of abnormal growths on older vines at the nodes. It even has an abnormal female flower. The cluster has several stunted vines.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

10 days after pollination: 25"cc

This pumpkin started out bigger than the previous one but its not growing as fast as the previous one.
It has a total of 41 days to grow for the local state fair == 31 more days to go.

This message was edited Aug 9, 2007 7:44 AM

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

The main vine and secondary vine junction. Pumpkin on secondary. The junction is not completely dead yet. Some very light pale green mixed in the very light pale yellow vine.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Ok, There is no telling what I will end up with on this OLD PLANT! The main did rot 2 feet behind the secondary with the pumpkin on it. Rot Rot Rot. I found it as I was triming old leaves off. It doesnt have much hope to grow big. And we did have alot of rain in July.
^&*$^%#%^&%^&*#$%@#$
So i was greatly disappointed. Went looking for a secondary that may have a bigger chance of growing one bigger than this one's hope. Surprise--I have two small newly pollinated females hiding in the flower bed on a vine that snuck out the back door.
My mouth dropped opened. They are both on the first secondary vine of the main.
AT this point, I dont care if they grow big or not. @#$^%$%&*#@$%#^&^ geeegollywhizzzzzzz. One is deffinately 1 day past pollination. Can only guess that the other one is about 3 to 4 days after pollination. And three more females past them that will pollinate shortly. Whats a dummy to do with this?

the 3-4 day old female

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

the older one and the new one that is 1 day after pollination. I dont even know if they were pollinated good or with what pollen

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Girls are alot of trouble !

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

I cant believe they snuck out the back door and got into the flower bed.

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

You need a pumpkin duenna!

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

LOL that went over my head. whats a duenna?

I have four vines feeding my pumpkin. AGain, I did not get to water yesterday. First day of school and had alot to do.
I can tell a differance in the pumpkin growth when I water and don't water.
11 days after pollination 26 1/2"cc

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

A duenna's an old lady dressed in black who follows a girl everywhere she goes to make sure she doesn't get up to anything with boys.

My pumpkin doesn't need a duenna, I think it's taken a vow of chastity.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

14 days after pollination. 31 1/2"cc - 22 1/2 - 24 = 78" OTT
The pumpkin is living on ONE vine. Its own vine. And its own vine barely has secondaries behind the pumpkin. It grew 2 " cc in the past 24 hours with lots of water. I think its doin pretty good considering it doesn't have much to grow energy from. I could not fertilize it much at first to encourage secondary growth on the vine cause it could abort. But I think its old enough now to start fertilizing. Who knows, maybe with new growth on vine , and burring that new growth, will boost the pumpkin weight gain. Fun trying. My goal is to have a 200 pound pumpkin for fair display. 27 days to go. I don't think its gonna make the goal.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Possiblities on the 530 Lishness Plant
Should be ready to pollinate tomorrow or the next day. Kinda small newbies.
The ones ready to pollinate are not on the main vine. Main vine wont be ready to pollinate for another 4 days maybe.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Both are on strong Secondary Vines.
The original plan for this plant was to grow several on it so I had trained the plant to have 3 Primary Vines on the Main vine. Primary Vine means that I let One of the first Secondaries have its own secondary vines in order to grow a large pumpkin on it--still attached to the main stump.
But since I lost my other plant that was to grow only one giant pumpkin, I have to figure out what I am doing with this plant now.
One plant is able to grow more than one giant pumpkin if trained and trimmed correctly. But most giant growers would only grow two on one plant. The Main vine which is the first Primary and one on another Primary vine. They call it the Wishbone Method.

The other female on Primary

This message was edited Aug 13, 2007 8:41 AM

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

The Wishbone Method

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

The Flag Method

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

The Christmas Tree Method

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

This is the female on the Main Primary vine. I cut off the tendrils and the leaf which should make the female move outward and not at an angle with the vine.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

530 Lishness Plant : #1 female pollinated this morning. Unrestricted pollination. The bees were having fun and I helped. 4 segment (lobe) female, long stem, deformed lobes and will not be a perfectly round pumpkin. Could turn out kinda flat.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

#1 female flower lobes

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

# 2 female on the 530 Lishness plant is 4 segment (lobe) and more rounded and almost perfect, long stem but still at an angle cause I have not removed the leaf and tendril. Must do that today.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

#2 female flower lobes

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

The pumpkin on the Old 1114 lishness plant had blossom end rot. culled today.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

#1 female on the 530 lishness 2 days after pollination.
Temps 102 to 105 degrees. Index 105 . Ice jugs around pollinated females. Fans. I am an idiot.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

The female on the main primary was only a 3 lobe so I cut it off. Not happy with that.

#2 female on 530 lishness plant

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

There was a stray female, I let it pollinate same day as the others. I was goin to eat it in a few days--fried. But now that I watch it grow---I like the way it looks. Dont know if i have the heart to cull it. ITs just as big as the #1 female only longer. Same age.
2 days after pollination. #3 female had 4 lobes- segments.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

close up of #3, placed new ice jug next to it.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

culled 5 pollinating females off the 530 lishness today also.

the 1114 lishness with blossom end rot--culled. Might have fried pumpkin for lunch.
I still have time to try and grow another on this plant also. Hoping to pollinate by Aug 22 at the latest.

This message was edited Aug 16, 2007 10:15 AM

Toledo, OH(Zone 6a)

Aren't you glad you like fried green pumpkin!!!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Bummer about the blossom end rot. You have a lot of contenders this time around. You make me want to try fried green pumpkin, too!

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

I grilled a green butternut squash the other day, very tasty.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

I have never eaten butternut squash. Seen my grandmother bake it in the oven on the halves--with butter sugar and cinamon sprinkled over the tops. Never ate it.

So far so good, I think my new females have set.

#1 female : 4 days after pollination 12 1/2"cc , nice long stem.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Butttt the #1 female vine is splitting. Not good. Wondering if i can tape it.LOL

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

#2 female 4 days after pollination. 11 1/4"cc . It started out smaller than the other two but keeping the pace. All are growing same amount each day.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

#3 female 4 days after pollination 12 3/4"cc .
It rained 2 1/2 inches night before. So I put some sand under the babies so they dont rot.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

The whole plant view. Its been a chore trying to keep the plants cooled down and the babies cooled off and trimming the plants too in the heat.
12 days of over 100 degrees.
I have to spray vigor calcium today hoping to prevent blossom end rot. Gotta kill squash bugs and collect the eggs. Gotta cultivate the bare ground.
female on the right of the patch, one on the left of the patch, one in the back and still waiting on a good lobe female on the main primary which is in the middle.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Cricket, Your fussing over them punkins, reminds me of the old adage; "a watched pot never boils"

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.