Giant Pumpkins Part 2

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Previous thread: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/729033

Pollination Day:
1114 Lishness Plant
5 segment female = 5 1/2"cc
4 segment female = 4 3/4"cc
circumfrence from side to side

Also, The Green Squash plants dampened off. They rotted at the soil line. No Green Squash this year. Sorry
But the 1000.4 Lishness Plant is chugging along. Not ready to select a female on this one yet. I been culling the females til I see the right one.

Just showing the previous pumpkin (Southern Bella) as a New Thread Picture

Thumbnail by CricketsGarden
Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

The adventure begins anew!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

hee hee :) Thanks Cricket !

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

HEY, is everybody here? ☺

Toledo, OH(Zone 6a)

I'm here, waiting...

Cochise, AZ(Zone 8b)

Ready here!!

Mid-Cape, MA(Zone 7a)

I'm here. Inquiring pumpkins want to know.

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

here is a zucchini squash my son frank's friend gave us. it was 16 inches long.

Thumbnail by HERBIE43
Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the teaser, Frank. Did it go into bread, or did ya stew it, or what? Yum. :)

Brimfield, MA(Zone 5a)

What did you put underneath? It looks like sand. Last year I let my squash lay on the dirt and they got mushy. This year I am trying hay, but will use whatever you have under that great pumpkin.

Thanks!

Megan

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

I don't know if i mentioned this before or not but there is a website where you can buy large veggie seeds. http://www.bigseeds.com
Veggies crossed to grow extra large. I personally want to have a Giant Veggie Garden.
Cabbage, Cantaloupe, Bellpeppers, Yellow Squash, Melons, Pumpkins Cukes, Gourds etc..................
I know someone who grows the long gourds-- 8 to 10 feet long. I rather grow something that can be of good use or edible afterwards. I don't know what I would do with a long slinder gourd. make it my man club.

Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

My first Dill fell off the vine only weighing about 10 lbs. The other one on the same vine has gotten quite a bit larger now, I'd guess it's about 14" across. I will post a pic of it. Squash bugs moved in and layed eggs all over the leaves so I've been busy finding and removing them.

Jeff

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

5 segment female grew 1 1/2 inches cc since yesterday on pollination day.
its now 7 inches circumference. Remember since the blossom is in my way, im measuring side to side circumference til they get a little bigger.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

4 segment female also grew 1 1/2 " cc since yesterday on pollination day.
It is now 6 1/4" cc.(side to side cc til later) I also cut the tendril away from the this female so it would start turning outward instead of in with the vine.

Keep us posted jk.
I hate those squash bugs. I have to go hunting this evening too when it cools off some. Its a scorcher out there. So hot you sufficate.

Growing pumpkins in this heat may be harder than I realize. We shall see.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

"Man club"? Love it! ;) Question: Why is that flower tied shut in the second to last post?

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Because I have other pumpkin plants blooming 150 feet away and did not want the bees to pollinate it with those other males. I pollinated it my self with its own male flowers.
YOu tie the female shut the night before it opens, then open it the next morning--pollinate it with your choice of male flowers----from other plant or same plant---then close it up and tie it shut so no other pollen gets in there from bees. This way you can keep up with the new pumpkins Genetics. Some Genetics grow bigger better pumpkins. YOu have to study other pumpkin genetic line to see how well they grow so you know what you want to grow.
Some pumpkins tend to grow kinda flat and long, some round and fat, some orange, some salmon. Some have thin vines some have thick vines. The pumpkin patch really becomes a science lab of cross breeding.
Inside the female are segments. Each segment has an ovary. Each segment could be pollinated by differant males---just like dogs or cats end up with differant fathers in the same litter of babies.
This plant was from a good cross with good genetics that grew huge pumpkins. If I happen to grow a huge giant pumpkin, the seeds will be wanted by other growers. And they require knowing its genetic crossing. This plant grows huge leaves, huge vines, very vigorous, round tall pumpkins and light orange color.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Wow, that's really interesting! I don't know much at all about hybridizing and plant genetics. So, you could have several pumpkin fruits, each a different hybrid, on the same plant. Interesting!

Danbury, CT(Zone 6a)

Did you keep the some seeds from your first giant pumpkin, Cricket?

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Yes I kept some seeds from the 311. Those seeds are now called 311 Phillips. Phillips being my last Name. So the full equation now looks like this: 311 Phillips 2007 1114 Lishness x Self

I sprayed fungicide and bug sprays last night and What do my wondering eyes see? Another female about to open by morning. So I prematurely opened it to see how many segments it had so I would know if it was even worth a pollination. YEP. 5 segment female on the 2nd terminated secondary vine which had a territory vine growing from it. So I pollinated her this morning with the 1000.4 LIshness. This 2nd 5 segment female is also 6"cc this morning but will be bigger by this evening which means it is bigger already than the first 5 segment. It also has a longer stem. I had to cut the leaves and tendrils away so it will extend outward from the vine.

2nd 5 segment female.

This message was edited Aug 1, 2007 9:37 AM

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Cut away the leaves and tendrils and territory vines from the female.

Toledo, OH(Zone 6a)

Nice toes! :-D

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Ok, I cut a string to take the actually circumference of the babies. I mark the cc on the string then i take the string and lay next to measuring tape.
As of this morning the first 5 segment is exactly 10"cc from blossom end to stem around. This is only 2 days after pollination and its bigger than my last pumpkin. The last pumpkin was 10"cc on day 5. Don't let me confuse you. I tend to do that:::::::::: in addition I went ahead and did a cc side to side to see how much it grew from yesterday. It was 9"cc side to side which means it grew 2 inches cc within 24 hours. This one is growing much faster sooner than the previous pumpkin. Crossing fingers.
This one is also growing faster than the 4 segment . The 4 segment only grew 1 3/4 " past 24 hours.
YOu must be very careful when measuring---not to scratch or nick the females. This could cause it to burst at early age since it is very thin walled right now. STrings are best.

the 1st 5 segment female Day 2

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

4 segment Day 2

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Just to throw in more beauty---this is the bouquet of male flowers that pollinated the 2nd 5 segment female this morning.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Also---somebody slap me!---- there is another female that will bloom on the very first secondary vine in about 3 days. Im impatient to see if it is 6 segment. If not--I am not sure if i want to pollinate it or not. Decisions Decisions.

Toledo, OH(Zone 6a)

Just how big are those male flowers??? They look HUGE!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Cricket,

Please excuse me if this has been explained before, but------What is a "segment" when you talk about 4-segment or 5 segment?

If you have a picture, I would appreciate this. Was it something inside the bloom????

I have been following your wondrous adventure with the first BIG pumpkin. I will never in my life grow one, but you are just amazing!!!!

Gita

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Segments= or Lobes yes are in the female flower. The segments look doubled but are not. Each segment represents a seed cavity that will be within the pumpkin. The more seed cavity you have the heavier the pumpkin will be. Thats why it is important to pollinate thoroughly.

If you look inside this bloom picture you will see segments. This one has 5 segments.
Also if you look at the picture i posted of the female next to the Dr Thunder bottle you will see at the tip of the female are the segments.

That bouquet of male flowers were actually small males from a young plant. They were about 5 inches across. On my older plant---it produces 7 to 8 inch across male blooms

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

An 8 inch Male
You can see my wrist at bottom of bloom.
This is one of the 5 males that I pollinated the 1st 5 segment female with.
Also, Males have one single Stamen in the center--which has the pollen on it. I tear the petals off so that only the stamen is showing and pollinate the female with it.

This message was edited Aug 1, 2007 12:58 PM

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Another female---the 1st 5 segment pollinated-the petals were torn

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

Saved 125 seeds---washed and dried for sharing and growing plants for sale in greenhouse next year.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

This is the main stump of the whole plant.

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

and soda can next to the 1st 5 segment female on day 2 after pollination

Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi Cricket,

Here's the picture of my next pumpkin. It's been on the vine about 4-6 weeks now so it's not going to be a giant but it's still fun watching it every day.

Jeff

Thumbnail by jkehl
Danbury, CT(Zone 6a)

Eek! Jeff, what's that hammer doing next to that pumpkin?!

Toledo, OH(Zone 6a)

Yeah, looks like you're ready to smash it!!!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Cricket, I appreciate your detailed explanations about all this stuff. I wondered about the segments, too, and am glad someone asked. This is so interesting!

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

your welcome gardenwife.

Jeff, its exciting no matter how big they get. I see white streaks down your pumpkin. Interesting. It has character.
Yep --that hammer is scary.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Cricket!

All I ever knew about pumpkins is what I see when I carve one for Halloween. You have made a science of this and are educating us all along the way. This is what I LOVE about DG!!!!!...:o)

This must take as much time as raising a child! ...Almost.....

Gita

Rome, GA(Zone 7b)

The squash bugs are big and scary around here. The hammer is for protection from them...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.