Design around my greenhouse

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

Well finally I am getting a green house, :o)
DH and kids are working on the foundation of it now and it is almost completed. I will be getting the gh toward the last of August or first part of September.

Sending a pic so you can see what I am talking about lol.

around the foundation there is about 4/5 inches deep of pea gravel. I have a weed cloth under it all. on front and backside and on the south side it is about 2 foot, on the north side not even a foot wide of gravel. I want to put plants around the gh in the gravel. I was wondering how to go about doing this, what type of soil I should get to mix in the gravel for the rock garden type flowers and any suggestions on what flowers to plant there, I love the encrusted saxifrage and dwarf dianthus that Todd_Boland displayed here http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/747463/

Any and all suggestions will greatly be appreciated.

Thanks Connie

Thumbnail by pepsidrinker
Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

Hi Connie! If the gravel is only 4-5 inches deep, you don't need to add anything to it. Just cut holes in the weed cloth where you insert plants, so they can root down into the soil beneath.

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks June

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Depends on what kind of soil is under the mulch. Alpines don't like fine textured or rich soils.

Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

You are right, Leftwood, the soil underneath will affect the choice of plants. If no fertilizer is ever applied, however, topsoil will gradually lose its "richness". By fine-textured, do you mean clay? If there are puddles of water forming underneath the gravel, then yes, that would be a problem. What kind of soil do you have, Connie?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

We have a similar sort of set-up for our greenhouse... initiallly built it on the previous owner's gravel RV parking pad. Eventually, our trees grew up, making it necessary to move the greenhouse for better light. The gravel pad worked so well that we redid it. There is no landscape fabric underneath though (and no need for it).
A vast amount of water gets sprayed around (from the potted ornamentals and water lily/tropical fish ponds; pots need to be watered daily and more often in hot weather, even in huge pots) in our greenhouse, making the gravel pad edges quite favorable for plants that need extra water... just a consideration.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.