Show your BLUES

Mount Laurel, NJ(Zone 7a)

I felt like this deserved its own color category! I mentioned in the purple thread many of our Blues are more of a lavender/purple color ~ but some are BLUE or more "Blue-ish"...is there such a word! Here is Plumbago auriculata, Imperial blue “cape leadwort”-an annual that I have in a large cobalt blue ceramic pot. I take it in over winter and it is out on the porch now blooming away. A favorite :)

Thumbnail by wind
Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

If that's the case, I definitely want to add this morning's MG here... it is truly blue and white.

MG 'Flying Saucer'...

Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Salvia Cambridge Blue, one I grew from seed this year. I'll have to treat it as an annual in my area. Hardy to zone 7.

Thumbnail by ladygardener1

blue ensign
started both red and blue ensign from seeds for our hanging baskets ~ this was the one and only blue bloom! can't tell the size from the photo, it is only an inch or less ~ they are really lovely but I'm not having good luck with them

Thumbnail by wind
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Loved this pretty!!

Thumbnail by Chantell

OH!!!!!!!! I tried to grow that with no luck from seeds ~ You just inspired me to try again! It is pretty...and interesting. Any growing tips?

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

*gulp* I just photographed it...didn't grow it...sorry about that. Another sweet DGer just shared some of her seeds with me - I was going to try my hand at it this spring.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

chantell's blue, a Love in a mist?

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Yes: http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/38264/

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

went to my memory bank for that one. Started from seed some way, dozen yrs ago, and had it self sow for a few years. Try again, wind- must have been bad luck first time.

Episcia 'Blue Nile'... from critter at the plant swap...

Salvia Guaranitica
this is behaving as a perennial for us and has naturalized nicely ~ the hummers love it! Salvia Black and Blue is another hummer favorite which looks similar except the calyxes are black

Thumbnail by wind

Salvia Black & Blue

Thumbnail by wind

these grapes look blue so I posted them here. I thought we had Reliance red seedless grapes but these have seeds, so now I'm not sure what the id is. We just harvested 8lbs the most ever! I guess the drought was good for grapes!

We made jam yesterday (first time) and may have ruined the whole batch because I don't think it gelled enough. I wish we had someone to show us how to make jam right. It never passed the plate or spoon gel test and it seemed like it was reducing too much so we panicked and tossed in a pkt of pectin!... boiled it another minute then processed.

So many recipes and all are different plus we didn't really know what we were doing! We used 6 cups of sugar; recipes varied from 6 -14 cups! God knows how much we should have really used, also they don't really say how long it takes to gel...just overnight? We haven't opened one yet but it looks too loose!

Thumbnail by wind

better late than never...woke up to our first bud unfurling, then it opened later this am! It's really nice and much larger like advertised ~ this one is 3 1/2".

Morning Glory Heavenly Blue, Ipomoea

Thumbnail by wind

a view from the back

Thumbnail by wind

MG... 'Picotee Blue', in amongst some calibracoa volunteers

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Lobelia

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Finally blooming :-)

Thumbnail by Bec_No_Va

VAWildRose does your Japanese MG picotee blue self sow or do you have to collect the seeds? I really like it and might try it here in zone 6b in a hanging basket next year. The zones were not posted on DG, just says N/A

I'm in zone 7A... I bought the seed in the spring... just a regular ol' seed packet called 'Picotee Blue'. They are growing on a third story balcony... I won't try to collect or self-sow. The flowers for me of this and the 'Picotee Red' were very small. I liked my 'Flying Saucer' best.

Sorry I can't be of more help!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Blue Mist shrub blooms....finally...planted this guy as a seedling 3 years ago....what a pretty plant this has turned out to be!! Hmmm, color's off on that pic...honestly, his bloom IS blue....will "fix" that.

This message was edited Sep 16, 2007 12:55 AM

Thumbnail by Chantell
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ok....here's the "correct" color

Thumbnail by Chantell

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.