Fig Tree Problem?

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

This is a Honey fig that seems to be having ant problems and some yellowing of leaves. I gave it some liquid fertilizer and hope it helps but meanwhile I have ants running around on the tree. What should I use as a control being that this is edible fruit? I use Ortho Bug-be Gone on my tomatos. Think it should be OK for my figs?? Or do you know something better?
Forgot to say that I picked off the yellowing leaves. You can see them on the ground.

This message was edited Jul 24, 2007 11:04 AM

Thumbnail by Tplant

The ants seem to be enjoying themselves! My two other figs don't seem to be having any problems?

Thumbnail by Tplant
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I see that the tree has a good crop of fruit started, and some are still bud-sized. Ants usually feed on smaller insects such as aphids, and they may be interested in the tiny, almost invisible wasps that pollenize figs. They are very special creatures and any pesticide will kill them faster than it could work on the ants. These wasps are unique because they can enter the flower to pollenize it even tho the flower can't be seen by most people - it is totally inside that small green figshaped growth when it first forms.

Personally, I don't use any synthetic pesticides - nada. The enemy we pursue is not the only creature being killed. I use boiling water for fire ant mounds (haven't seen any this year) but otherwise I stand aside for the balance of Nature to do the work for me. The ants will leave when the food source is gone.

I have two enormous inground fig trees and am harvesting, drying, and freezing daily. I do have to exercise caution in harvesting because yellow jackets are attracted to the "eye" of very ripe ones and don't appreciate being disturbed.

This message was edited Jul 24, 2007 11:18 AM

Yuska --- Yes it does have small fruit. This is my first experience with fig trees so I don't know anything about them and am depending on my PRO friends for help and/or advice. So am I to believe that the ants are my friends? What about the yellow leaves that I picked off? Was fertilizing with Vigoro powder that is mixed with water OK for now? One tablespoon per gallon was the mix. Poured about 1gallon into the container. Hope to see some results in a day or two!

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Maybe not friends, if they are going after the wasps, but I don't think of them as enemies unless they sting me! My point is, if you spray to kill them, you will kill more of the wasps than the ants would eat.

The leaf yellowing is a natural occurrence. My trees start dropping some leaves just as the fruit begins to mature. As a fig tree gains size the large leaves provide such a dense shade that the fruit may need more sunlight to ripen. That's a guess on my part, but I have observed this dropping of leaves for the ten years the trees have been growing. Most of the leaves remain well into late fall, and are not completely gone until after the first hard frost.

My trees are on the south side of my house and the shade is so dense that I can leave the patio door open for most of the day for the cooling effect. I only close the door and run the a/c on the hottest days between 5-6:00 p.m. Didn't really expect this bonus when I planted them, but I am quite pleased.

My trees get no fertilizer at all. The heavy black clay here is hard to work but must be rich in nutrients - it also grows magnificent, robust weeds!

Figs are enthusiastic plants, and a real treasure to enjoy.

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

Tplant,
Have you noticed whether the ants are gathering on the leaves or the fruit? The presence of ants usually indicates that you have honeydew producing pests. Check the underside of the leaves to see if you have aphids. Yellowing leaves could be the result of spidermites. Spidermites are very small. They appear as rust colored minute dots on the underside of the leaves. The numbers of both aphids and spidermites can be controlled by a hard spray of water every few days. If the ants have colonized the pot, immersing the pot for several hours in a large tub of water deep enough to cover the soil and to which a very small amount of soap has been added. The soap breaks water tension and allows the water to penetrate the rootball and drive the ants out. Provide a way for the ants to exit the pot or use a water spray to wash the ants off the leaves and stems. After all the ants have exited run plenty of water through the rootball to leach the soap out. If you don't mind using pesticides, there are drenches you can use that will not affect the fruit.

Most fig trees sold for the home garden do not need a pollinizer. However, the eye (opening in the fruit) size varies. If you purchase any more fig trees, there are varieties whose eyes are so small that insects can't get in.
http://www.pan-uk.org/pestnews/homepest/ants.htm

bettydee -- The ants are running all over but don't seem to be on the fruit? As far as submersing the container no can do! It is half a wine barrel so I'll have to do something else. I will give it a strong wash and prior to that check for aphids etc. Can't do it now as we are having an electrical storm just now. Lightning and thunder but no rain. When it clears up I will go out there and see what I can do?

Yuska --- Because my figs are in wine barrels they must be fertilized every two or three weeks according to some info gathered on the internet. I know it would have been easier to put them in ground but we live in a mobile home on school property and the school is going to move us to another location to make way for a new cafeteria and parking lot so if they were in ground I could lose them. Besides I am partially disabled and can not work the ground. Everything I grow I grow in containers and EBs. I really do have a nice set up with little or no weeding...

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh, I do understand Tplant! I've followed your EB threads and know about the restricted uses you face - both from the property and your accessibility issues (You and I both use tractor seats - aren't they great?) I didn't mean to imply that you shouldn't fertilize your containers - plants could not manage to survive without food! I really admire what you have done and you've been an inspiring pioneer for many of us. I just meant that fig trees are a great choice for many applications - they're so cooperative!

Can't wait for them to ripen. Hope my birds leave some for me?

Brazoria, TX(Zone 9b)

I am having a problem with my fig trees wanting to ripen. The fruit has been on the tree for about 3 weeks now and just refuses to ripen. They are hard as rocks. One tree is about 10 ft tall and that wide and full. Another tree is only 5 ft tall and has a few figs that ripen ,but the tree is full of green and hard fruit. Last year I had the same problem and the fruit never did ripen. Any suggestions? I don't see any infestation anywhere. Don't have a problem with the birds. thanks

Susie2

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I've lost quite a few that have dropped off while still green this year. I'm thinking the excessive moisture may have caused too much swelling, but that's just a guess. Ripening has been later than usual - still lots of green ones yet - and I wonder if the cooler temps have an effect. We've had only one or two days with the thermometer reaching 90, and even then not for more than a couple of hours.

Saint Clair Shores, MI(Zone 6b)

you will need to do a little research, but I will put you on the right track There is a process called oilification (or olification) whereby you will take a little bit of olive oil and put it on the eye of the fruit. This process will hasten ripening.

I have not personally done it (gotta get fruit first for that) but I have read about the process in other forums.

Best of luck

~Chills (who is jealous)

btw...what kind of fig is it?

Brazoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Thanks Chills,

My trees are brown turkey and celeste. I will certainly investigate oilification. Temps here have been 90 plus several days; now it is just raining and in the 80s.

Susie2

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.