Blooms 2007- I'm on the record

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

LOL Bdale! I am a cheerleader for most dahlias.
Tod, with your thing for red and yellow, you really ought to have the pompon Kasasagi- it kicks out so many flowers and tubers too, a real workhorse. I have two plants of it- just say the word for 08.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

a few more since it's drizzling outside, I get online time!
Mary Jo- cute little 3 footer often seen in baskets in dahlia shows. It has been blooming for a couple weeks already and full of stems! Thanks Willow!

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Seduction: similar to Lauren Michelle with the petals outlined in purple, but more white than Lavender background on the petals. My mind isn't made up about this one yet. I have another plant of it in a different location, so we'll see how those blooms come out, a bit different sun exposure there.

Sarv, it is never wrong to lust after dahlias!

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Lauren Michelle: I think I still like this little bloom the best between it and Seduction. This is your plant Al! First out of the gate of the 3 I have planted. Thanks!

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Another Al special: Onesta. Nice little pink/lavendery pink waterlily. It is in a pot on the deck and too tall for me to photograph easily, so a bit skewed and chopped off here, but very nice in person.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Willow was right: I love Urchin! It is another in the long line of dahlias whose color is tough to capture. I had one last night that showed fairly true color, but it was hopelessly blurry LOL. Surprised?

It is really a deep maroon, or burgandy would you say Willow? The really bad thing is sometimes a dahlia name will trigger a song, like "Unforgettable" did for two years running.... I was humming Unforgettable for hours.... With Urchin now open, I've got Madonna's Like an 'Urchin' careening around my mind while I disbud and tie and water etc.

This message was edited Aug 7, 2007 11:17 AM

Thumbnail by Poochella
Aptos, CA

Poochyour Urchinlook great...mine didn't doso well in the past, so I have not grown it...perhaps you have inspired me to grow it again! ?? hahaha

If you like Urchin, you will LOVE Shinkyoku!

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Not a new one, but I can't resist Taratahi Ruby: velvety red. If you like red and waterlilies this is one to have.

Who else is blooming? Jomanda, Maarn, Painted Lady, Unforgettable, Yellow Star, Karma Fuschiana, Babylon Rose, Chimcacum Topaz, Honka, KKKKatie, Fidalgo Julie is opening, Hy Lustre, Seattle, Bliss, Kasasagi and more on the way if we'd get our thermometer above 60 they'd move along faster, I think.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

I'll look it up. Thanks for the tip. What song would go with Shinkyoku? LOL!

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Looking good Pooch!
El Dorado looks good. I am quite enjoying my Tarahiti Ruby from you - even if I did have to resort to extortion to get it.LOL Your pk/wh WL looks nice, I sent out a bunch but lost the couple I saved - darn things. I guess I am going to say that I don't mind the poms, but they would be better for cutting that garden viewing I think. That Seduction sure does look like LM.
I'll try sending you some heat - we have plenty.

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

My goodness Pooch...yours are just outstanding. Mine got in the ground late this year and are just starting to bloom. Over half still haven't bloomed. Most of mine are way shorter than they were last year - no rain and blazing heat. I tried to water, but mother nature is much better than I am!

Your waterlilys are my favorite.....

Thomson, GA

I love this sweet little one; "Matthew Joule"

Thumbnail by guardians
Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

I would say today's offerings are all absolutely wonderful. Taratahi Ruby gets my vote. Gee, you sure grow good ones, Pooch. I didn't realize when I was looking at flowers last year how hard these devils are to grow.

I had a couple Chimicum Sam open today, but it looks like the color was sucked out of them. :(

Suzy

This message was edited Aug 7, 2007 10:55 PM

Buckeye, AZ(Zone 9a)

Poochella...

I cannot pick a favorite because they are all so lovely...thanks for sharing your lovely pictures. I wait every evening to log in to look at all the new dahlia posts....Just love them all!

Carla

Thomson, GA

Suzy, I am seeing the same thing re: the color! One I had last year was breathtaking, this year very blah. Do you think it's the awful heat, drought or what?

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

guardians, I love the delicate patterns on the single dahlias. Don't know anything about heat: I've had a sweatshirt and/or fleece jacket on 90% of the day! In August! Unseasonably cooler than usual and the dahlias are slower for it.

Here's KKKKatie for Greathorse- in a bouquet to welcome a favorite neighbor horse back from 2 months in the horse hospital - ouch.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

poochella,OH i love it!!!! i have 2 daughters,Katie & Erin. I'm finding lots of plants with the name Katie but far fewer with the name Erin. My mom (grannymarsh) said she talked to you about getting one of these KKKKatie's from you.it is very beautiful. my 2 dahlia's are just starting to bloom and are looking quite nice for my first one's.thanks for the picture.-erika

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Gorgeous pics!!! I'm drooling! Tamara

Bath, NY(Zone 5b)

Pooch can you save me an urchin , mine went to riot. I miss it dearly, such a beautiful burgandy, my favorite color. Glad you posted one here so I can at least enjoy it from a distance. How tall did she get? Mine hit the 7 foot mark last year, had it right by the back door so I was close to the house when I was drooling,LOL

I like pom poms too, Annie. Have Pineapple Lollipop new this year but it hasn't shown it's pretty face yet. Seduction is getting ready to open here so it will be interesting to see if it looks like yours, I hope so, beautiful dahlia.

Keep them coming!

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

You got it Willow. I have a few new dark reds coming up, so see if anything else appeals to you but Urchin for sure. I lost so many tubers/varieties it's not funny! Including Nadine's PR Cactus- a favorite vibrant purple. But if I can't grow that this year, I have Jax Char to take up that spectrum of purple and how! It's not accurate here: two shots, one in daylight and one in pure dark. It's rich, vibrant purple leaning to red violet? Pinky Grape? It's gorgeous- nearly glows.

Jax Char in daylight: not even close to its real color

And where is our real Jax these days?

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Jax Char in dead of night- still looks too pink here.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Nana's Kiss- nice 4-5 inch semi cactus form in medium pink and yellow. It's supposed to be peachy pink, much lighter. Oh well...

spelling edit
another edit: I don't know if this is the right flower now or not. Got it from Connell's but look at their version. I will inquire if it's possible it's the same cultivar.
http://shop.connells-dahlias.ieasysite.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=3604

This message was edited Aug 10, 2007 12:00 AM

This message was edited Aug 14, 2007 9:57 AM

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Hy Mallow -Thanks Carol! This is a great purple, more of a true purple and a wonderful bloom.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

And possibly for Greathorse: a huge bud, about the size of a Clementine orange and a half in a dusky coral/pink so far. It came to me named "Erika" but I can only find Mingus Erica and Deerwood Erika and this is neither of those. It's a real beautiful mystery and it's going to be big!

If anyone finds any other dahlias with Erika or Erica in the name would you dmail me please. I've gone through the whole Biglist to no avail, but not foreign websites. I Googled forms of "dahlia Erica or Erika" and searched all I could stand to search.

This message was edited Aug 10, 2007 12:02 AM

Thumbnail by Poochella

I vote for Jax Char in today's batch.

I'm not getting the vibrant color here that you folks on the west coast (and Al in Wisc) get, so any dahlias I buy from now on are going to be the ones with super-saturated colors. (So when they fade, I still have something!)

It could be because we haven't had measurable rain since early May. (?) I've been watering but I haven't been fertilizing. But there are a lot of flowers in other genera that are brighter on the west coast (and England & Ireland & Tasmania, Aus & New Zealand.) so it's probably a combination of volcanic remains in the soil & oceanic minerals being washed in by the rain, and not water per se. Al is obviously on the upper half of the glacial melt or on the site of an ancient volcano or prehistoic ocean or something.

Suzy

P.S. Like that? Volcanic remains and oceanic minerals? LOL!

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

LOL Suzy, you know I'm going to refer to Al as "upper crust" from now on! How is your sun exposure on the dahlias? I know I don't get the 'full meal deal' on some of the colors because of shorter sun hours in my yard; close on some, but some dahlias are just sun hogs or they look a bit pale/ dim colored.

Have to get to bed: More posts tomorrow, I hope. That's Jake is open! WHoo hee!

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Upper crust - yes, quite quite old chap.

I'm on something Suzy. I think I only have a couple kinds that the color fades on now, the rest stay good until they're decapitated.

Pooch - I like the Hy Mallow. Are you tracking down your Viking heritage?

West Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6b)

Jax Char? I picture Jax liking it so much she falls off her char, er, chair....doh!

I MUST know your "Erika"!! It looks kind of unusual for a large dahlia, but we will have to see it when its finished opening.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

LOL Todd. I saw Jax Char at our dahlia society October meeting a couple years ago and even that late in the season was blown away by the color. It's a keeper for me.

The mystery dahlia Erika opens more fully daily- it's nice and it's big.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Couple more:
Clearview Irene- bright pure yellow, medium large, great stems. This was a sub from a grower for another yellow. I don't even remember or miss the other one now!

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

A waterlily for Al, Chimacum Kathleen. Sort of a paler, pinker version of Pam Howden and not quite so cupped.

To the left and behind is Salsa Picante from Aztec; blazing orangey red and yellow. I'll get a straight shot of that when it next blooms.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

BLoomed before frost this year: Castle Drive, my big win in gift tubers last year! It's a lovely pink and yellow maybe 5 inches across.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Robinhood is so much darker orangey red ( like yours Willow!) this year. I am very happy with it.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

I don't remember Fidalgo Julie being these colors. It's red and yellow; last year I'm sure it was orange and dark orange. Strange... It's still blurry though LOL!

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Not new, but so nice: Pam Howden. I love this waterlily.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

One last 'new' one for 2007: I've grown it before but killed it
Sweet Lorraine, nice lavender and white, then blends to all lavender as it ages. Good cutflower, 4 inches across.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Looks great Mrs. P. I like my Chimacum Kathleen there. I know, I'm one of the few that only like Pam H. Castle Drive looks nice. I love the form of Clearview Irene - I might have overyellowed this year though.

Buckeye, AZ(Zone 9a)

Oh my Poochella...I would love to have 1 of each one you posted today....such lovely bloom....Thanks so much for taking the time to share them!
Droolingly, Carla

I agree with Al & Cocoajuno -- I have too much yellow and I like all of them. LOL!

I'm not sure I can pick a winner today, but sometimes ya gotta make a decision, and in that case, Pam Howden. No, wait. Castle Drive. But only because it's bigger :))

They really are all quite lovely!

Suzy

West Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6b)

Nice! I'd have to go with Sweet Lorraine!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.