Blooms 2007- I'm on the record

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Park Record from Suzy, that is. What a beauty it is. My first to bloom and such a vibrant coral/yellow. I love it Suzy! The first blooms are stuffed down inside on short stems, but new taller ones are emerging. Thank you, thank you for sharing this gem.

We got hit with 1.5 inches of rain so the petals are beat up, but I assure you it was gorgeous last week. Not complaining about the rain either, saved me hours on the hoses.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Here it was outside a few days ago

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Nescio was second to bloom. Thanks Al! A cheery smaller red bloom. Great stems. So far I give Nescio a thumbs up. Again, pardon my raindrops (blissful little things are they!)

Thumbnail by Poochella
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

You do grow dahlias - welcome aboard Pooch.

Parks Record looks good, that is an interesting pale peachy red. Did you plant it 20" deep per Suzy's instructions.LOL Nescio should be a good cut flower for you I hope.

West Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6b)

Somehow I knew they'd be red! :)

Great start, Annie!

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Hey welcome back Todd! I meant to say that earlier but am just remiss on posting. I'm only posting photos of new varieties this year; no sense repeating history unless I get an absolutely sensational shot of an old variety or am overcome with dahlialust on a favorite variety and I only think I have a sensational new photo of it LOL. How can one resist?

Hy Mallow will be up next- looks to be a great new purple one. Give me a week or so.

Aptos, CA

Can't wait for more Pooch! More More More

Warren, PA(Zone 5a)

My gosh, Poochella (I'm a relative newcomer to the Dahlia forum, so I don't know if I've earned the right to call you "Pooch"). That "Park's Record" about knocked my socks off!! Why don't you warn people when you are going to post something like that?? :)

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Tee hee Bdale, even my mom calls me "Pooch" and you are welcome to as well. Park Record is one of quite a few new bright orange/corals/pinky-oranges I got this year. Can't wait to see them, but will have to as things just start to get going and bloom here in August. I only have color showing on maybe 5 buds, so patience is a must. Darn it!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Those are purdy! Love the colors.

Joanne

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Boy, Annie you start with a bang, you know me and orange. Those are some wonderful hot blooms.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Anything else your mom calls you I can use ;)

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

LOL Al, she calls me Young Lady and you are welcome to as well.

Hy Mallow bloomed, it was great (thanks Carol!) but I had to hijack it in a bouquet dragged to work very early Sunday with no time for a photo. There will be more. Pretty in Pink threatening to open, Honka too! KKK Katie is open and lighting up its little corner of the garden. Another bright red from Connell's "Beulah Ruth." is open and just as glowing as Nescio. Can't wait for more, especially the new ones.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

great blooms poochella.i'm VERY new to the dahlia world, just have a few. thought i would try it to see if i like them and so far so good.i see on this forum & others the dahlia called KKK KATIE but i can't find it in the plants files.would love to have one. do you know where i could get one? thanks.-Erika

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

I'd be happy to try and save a tuber for you next year, otherwise you can check the Big list at www.dahlias.net. Varieties are listed alphabetically there for easy location.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

thanks poochella,for the info.

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Gosh Pooch,

That looks really good! How come mine doesn't look as good as yours? :) You know I was hit by Japanese Beetes real bad, but they didn't touch that one and I can't understand why. Because it's so short? Oh, that's right you don't know anything about them.

Glad you like it, now send some of that rain our way!

Suzy

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

I adore Park Record, don't hold anything against it for height or lack thereof. It's those sizzling hot colors and lovely spikey petals!

We have had a record breaking rainfall of like an inch of rain in July! Saved me a week of watering whoo hoo! Usually we get nothin' from 7/4 until late September. Surprised? But ask me about rain in November or December...... I'll send you all you want then: you can make an ice rink!

Erika , you're welcome and you're welcome to a KKKKatie, just say the word.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

poochella,
i would love a tuber of KKKKatie,i don't want to impose though. let me know when they're ready & i'll send you some $ for postage or I'll pay you for it.thanks-erika

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

You're on the KKKKatie list for 08 Erika and welcome! Such a fine bright red and early to bloom too, you'll love it.

A couple more opened; Nescio and Park Record continue to bloom like crazy! Love em both.

Here is Painted Desert from Connell's. It may just replace Bliss for my pinky/yellow waterlily needs. About 3-4 inches across, like Bliss, but much more robust in color.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

This is not Purple Gem from Dan's Dahlias. I should have known when it shot well past the "3 ft tall" mark in about two weeks. It looks like my oldie Mosaic, magenta variegation on pink. I can't put Dan in the doghouse yet, because Purple Gem might have rotted and I plunked in one of my own tubers- another happy mystery! I do have another (hopefully real) Purple Gem growing, so all is not lost.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

One of the oldest dahlias in my clutches: Chimacum Topaz. I bet I've grown a thousand blossoms but never one as fluffy as this. Texas Lou, this one will be for you! My DD will get a finer photo of it in the next couple days.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

It rained, but I couldn't wait to take a blurry photo of one of a few new corals: this one is Coral Frills from a local trader. I love the color. It ranks right up there with Hillcrest Kismet in terms of unique. This is a sultry dusky coral, way cool, with split petal tips. Just starting to bloom. The flowers look to be about 5-6 inches across and 5 ft tall.

Will post a better photo when it opens more.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Okay, not a new one but Painted Lady is one of my all time favorites in whtie and lavender and look how fresh it looks in the drizzle coating. I had to post it. :)

It's going to work tomorrow with purple and white glads, purple buddleas, and whatever's blooming down below- daisies, monarda, snaps etc. Maybe some Nescios thrown in for spice, and KKK Katies!

Thumbnail by Poochella
Buckeye, AZ(Zone 9a)

Hi Poochella,
Wow, just love the last two... Coral Frills and Painted Lady. I am making a list for a new bed and will add those. How big is the flower on Mosaic, the color really stands out, I really like all bitones....thanks for sharing.

Warren, PA(Zone 5a)

Pooch, A beautiful display! Painted Desert and Coral Frills catch my eye, especially, in this group. Lookin' great.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Coral Frills dried out and fluffed during the day: too bad for me- another favorite. It blooms early, has good stems and lots of flowers. I'm almost ready to cry about it LOL.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Brookside Cheri is open: a nice 4 inch bloom.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Hooks, TX

Hi, Poochella,
My Chimacum Topaz is taking a rest but has been a steady bloomer.

I had a very pretty fluffy white one that you sent - the first time to bloom- it didn't bloom last year. It's about 4" across and when fully opened, looks like a ball.
There are so many beautiful ones that I want for next year -I just don't know where to start!

Thanks for all the pictures. They become my sweatless, virtual garden on my screen!
Louise

Wow, All great! Painted Lady would be my favorite. I like the "puffer fish" look of Chimacum Topaz too.

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Now what is this about fluffing and crying? Are you saying that's bad? Or are those tears of joy? That Coral Frills is gorgeous, I dont get it.

Suzy

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Coral Frills looks to be yet another promising flower in a great color that will be a keeper. I am at maximum capacity with the number of plants I can tend to properly and that's where the tears might arise, Suzy: How to add yet another dahlia and how to decide who will not be grown next year to make room for it.

Todd, 'puffer fish' is a very good comparison for that bloom. I think it's the best Chimacum Topaz I've ever grown. It's getting a little bit over the hill now though.

Lou, glad to hear your plants are blooming! A white ball might be Brookside Snowball or White Nettie, if it came from me and is pure white.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

More in bloom
Tahiti Sunrise- vivid!

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

El Dorado
I thought this might be too close to Chimacum Topaz (the puffer fish above) but it is a much brighter orange and richer yellow.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Al's pink and white waterlily- lovely!

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Nobody seems to like the pompons, but I lost Willo Borealis and liked it so much I bought them again. Such cute and dainty little flowers, packed with petals.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Pretty in PInk- great flower. It's as hot pink as Mary's Jomanda only frillier.

Thumbnail by Poochella
south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

is it wrong to lust???? gorgeous...

Great selection! It's funny you say no one likes the pom poms, I was just thinking looking at them that I wish I had some this year !

Warren, PA(Zone 5a)

Tod and Pooch,

Does this make you "cheerleaders" on behalf of pom poms?

Sorry... :)

I like the look of them as well. More possibilities for next season.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.