DG Electronic Floral Show "Getting to Know You"

Warren, PA(Zone 5a)

Welcome to the first of what we hope will be many installments of the Dave's Garden Electronic Floral Show! Many flower shows, whether held at national or regional conventions, county or state fairs, or other locales have a division for "artistic arrangement" where people create flower arrangements based on a specified theme. That's what we hope will happen here and, in the process, allow DG members a chance to showcase our floral arrangements, learn more about the art and craft of floral design, and have fun! This idea is a work in progress, based on some brainstorming in a previous thread: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/751146/ We are not official representatives of "Dave's Garden," but just regular members and subscribers who want to try something new on this forum. Please join us.

The inaugural theme for the DG Electronic Floral Show is "Getting to Know You." Obviously, this theme is intended to encourage you to create an arrangement that helps us get to know you by featuring something (a favorite cut flower, a particular kind of vase or container, a color combination, interesting accessories) that conveys something about you. There aren't really many rules, but a few guidelines to consider:

1. Submit a good, clear photograph of your arrangement (i.e. download an image) on this thread that fits the designated theme ("Getting to Know You" in this case).

2. Provide any explanation you like to accompany the photo, perhaps about why you chose these flowers and materials, why you believe this fits the theme, how you designed the arrangement, problems you encountered when arranging and how you solved them, and so forth. Please also include a list of the plant materials used in the arrangement (DG members will want to know the name of that beautiful flower!) when possible.

3. You may use any combination of flowers, foliage, or other plant materials (fruits, vegetables if you wish) along with any sort of container and accessories you wish. You are not restricted only to flowers grown yourself: feel free to buy cut flowers at a shop or farmer's market, borrow some (with permission!) from the neighbor, combine some of your own with somebody else's. You ARE expected to do the arranging yourself rather than purchase a professional arrangement.

4. Feel free to provide comments and constructive feedback (lots of "oohs" and "ahhs" are always welcome!) about the other arrangements you see here. If you have a suggestion for how to improve an arrangement or a method that you have found helpful for working with similar materials, please offer it but be considerate of the creative effort that probably went into the arrangement. Likewise, those who post an arrangement should be willing to hear comments from our DG gardening friends. This is meant to be a fun and positive learning experience for all.

Let's have a good time and get started, okay? Whether you are an experienced flower arranger or this is your first ever attempt at arranging flowers please jump on this thread and contribute you photos and ideas. We look forward to "getting to know" each other via our creative efforts at floral arrangement.

This message was edited Jul 23, 2007 6:08 AM

This message was edited Jul 23, 2007 8:06 AM

Thumbnail by BDale60
london England, United Kingdom

Thankyou BDale for all your work arranging this idea. Where are all the floral artists today?

This is my attempt at 'getting to know'
I love ice cream and all sweet things.

I have used a tall vase,3 apricot carnations,5 pink carnations,10 pink roses,3 cream roses 3 hypericum a few
eucalptus sprigs and 5 pearl pins for the rose centres.

Thumbnail by terriculture

'getting to know'
I love to grow flowers in my garden and make arrangements with them.

I have used,(from the garden) jasmine,yellow roses,aquilega,daisy,sweet scabious,wallflower,forget me nots,lilac rose(blue moon) weigela,california lilac,red valarian and conifer. I only used small amounts from each plant. Adding to my
garden flowers I bought a bunch of green chysanths and some bear grass.

New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

Terri, you will never cease to amaze me! I love them both.

I think this arrangement fits the name karma place. I love asian influence design...so here's mine. They consist of bamboo, canna and nephthytis leaves, grass, "done with blooming" agapanthus, coneflowers, and unnamed pink flowers. All of these were gathered from my sister's, my neighbor's and my gardens. I also bought flowers from the flower shop, but they're hydrating right now. I hope you like them, and please be gentle...

Thumbnail by karmaplace
Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

I think these are all brilliant! Now I kind of intimidated . . . . :-)

Karmaplace, your arrangement is absolutely lovely, it is so elegant and peaceful. I am very impressed with the leaf manipulation techniques and the bamboo is a nice touch. I think the pink flowers might be hollyhocks or hibiscus.
well done and keep up the good work, I like your style!

Seandor, Please don't have that attitude!!!! shall I show you my first arrangement? I hated it, but I learnt from my
mistakes and realised that there is no point being precious about it, just have another go!
C'mon on, give it a try, tell me something about you with flowers!

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

I have some ideas perculating . . . the theme is "getting to know, " right?

umm I smell the coffee! is perculatig a clue?

Warren, PA(Zone 5a)

These are all so beautiful and it is really interesting to see some "personality" shining through each arrangement.

Seandor, please do post one. I plan to do one as well but my spouse/photographer is out of town for a few days so I have no way to download a new image at present (and no photos of any old arrangements since I am a newcomer to the world of floral arranging as well). I'm sure we will love your arrangement, you always have good ideas!!

Karma, I agree with what terriculture said in describing your arrangement. Both the terms "elegant" and "peaceful" came to my mind as well when viewing it.

Terri, with the "ice cream cone" arrangement (awesome creativity, by the way!) how did you get the effect of the flowers spilling over the side of the cone? Did they just naturally do that (with proper placement) or do you have something going on inside the vase that helps create that effect?

Keep `em coming folks, this is a blast!

BDale

Thankyou BD I thought you had gone on holiday or something!!

I made a little posy with the flowers.holding the stems and using string to tie them together after every 3 or 4 . I then wrapped the stems in pink ribbon and placed into the vase, no fancy mechanics or hidden tricks! If you keep the bunch
quite loose then it is easier to get that hanging over the edge look!!

New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

Finally, my son stopped following me around whining! Okay, have to go...he is still needing attention. Will be back, I promise.

'getting to know you'

I do enjoy a good fireworks display!

materials used.. 3 dried flower balls sprayed gold, foliage sprayed silver,2 leucadendron, 3 hypericum,10 large chysanths, 1 florists cellophane sheet,1 purple fabric wrap,string,1sisel collar (not seen)

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

If it's not raining Tuesday morning, I will put something together heheheh.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Wow, I am truly impressed, my goodness you are all pros. I like this whole idea but I am so inept saving my photos to the computer. I better learn huh? Terri, I can see you incorporate all kinds of things into your themes. Karma, your Asian arrangement is stunning.Seandor, I will try if you will try.

Seandor it's already tuesday morning here!! and rain? it's been raining for weeks in England.

New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

Wow, that sure is a great display of fireworks, Terri. Seandor and Lenjo, I can't wait to see your arrangements. In the meantime, I'll share my second piece, citrus splash.
I bought gerber daisies, asiatic lilies, and sunflowers. My original idea was to make a posey of said flowers and stick it in a square glass vase with slices of grapefruit inside. Well, few things went wrong. Vase was way too big to hold the bouquet and I didn't want to stuff with greenery to tighten it. Grapefruit slices were way too big to arrange nicely in the vase. Asiatic lilies broke so easily within my hold...never again. So I ended up covering the vase with canna leaves, and placed foam inside to put flowers in place. And the final product was this...way off from what I envisioned.

Thumbnail by karmaplace
New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

I guess you have to have text with the picture in order for it to get posted? Trying again.

Thumbnail by karmaplace
Warren, PA(Zone 5a)

Karma, those Gerbera Daisies and Sunflowers are such a vivid combination: that was a great choice of flowers. The height provides an interesting contrast with the bright blooms at the bottom. Thanks also for telling us something about your process and what did (and didn't) work. That is helpful and takes a little pressure off of some of us who are thinking about doing this for the first time. The best laid plans sometimes go awry, and yet you created something beautiful with your materials!

Terri, we've now got ice cream, gardening, and fireworks. A good window into some of your interests. That fireworks arrangement is very eye-catching and looks like it took a significant amount of prep work (with the sprayed flowers, etc). Can you remind us beginners what a "sisel collar" is?

Karmaplace, That's beautiful, love the bright blocks of colour,very exotic , and good idea using the leaves to cover
the vase, I'm going to try that sometime,thanks for the idea! I like that tall greenary is it bamboo? Sometimes I think
it's better not to have a fixed outcome in mind! a vaque idea and a sort of 'go with the flo' approach can be less
frustrating. It's a lovely 'citrus splash' can't wait for your next one!

I'm looking forward to seeing yours Lenjo,Seandor and BDale! hurry up!!!

sisel is a fabric,you can make a 'collar' with it to hold your flowers.

accessories I used for my firework arrangement, sisel collar and dried sprayed plant material (handy to have in the
flower arrangers workspace)

the firework arrangement before I gift wrapped it.

Firework arrangement gift wrapped in cellophane and fabric wrap, then filled with water, fabric bow added.

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Karma,

What are the tiny yellow accent flowers?

New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

Thanks for the compliments. I really had fun doing it...I can't remember when was the last time I did it. I find it more challenging and fun to hunt for the materials around the house than to buy them, not to mention, it's cheaper! Terri, that's bamboo with all the leaves cut off. I also used iris leaves and ioxa. Yardqueen, the yellow flowers are thryallis.

Terri, thanks for the step by step instructions. I like the way you spiral the stems. A friend taught me to do it, but I can't arrange and keep up with the stems at the same time! I'm criss crossing it for now. Did you make the collar? I would love to make one in burlap and use it to wrap sunflowers. I think the two pieces will be it for me for the week. There's hardly anymore color in my garden. The only thing growing in my cut flower garden are zinnias, and I don't have enough of them. I've been snipping from the landscape and container plants which I also don't have enough of. Anyway, I do have my teacup arrangement ready for the teacup theme when it opens up! Well, off to my real job.....have a great day!

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Well here as my simple contribution to "Getting to Know You". I like having the themes; the creativity that is shown is wonderful.
First all the flowers in my arrangement is from my garden. My dd said it just had me written all over it.
There are 3 light yellow snapdragons, 5 Green Envy zinnias, 3 red zinnias, 3 helenium, 7 crocosmia ':Lucifer' , I dahlia Berry Bounty, 3 variegated boxwoods, and 5 ninebark(dark foliage).

I love red, tea parties, dahlias(in fact the one in the photo is one that we grew from seed and therefore named it), the ninebark and boxwoods are started from cuttings I took, so I love to propagate plants. The teapot is shaped like a tomato which I thoroughly enjoy from the garden this time of year.

And so TA DA...........LOL

Thumbnail by Lenjo
Warren, PA(Zone 5a)

Lenjo:

Applause!! Cheering!! Wolf Whistles!!

Your color pattern and themes are so well integrated. I love dahlias too and am hoping a couple more will bloom in the next few days.

lenjo, that is a really bright and cheerful arrangement. I love that dark foliage and would like to try your propagating methods!
It's a lovely idea to show 'red' with the red foliage,red teapot,red flowers,red tablecloth and even a delicious looking
red tomato ! Thankyou so much for joining in, hope to see some more!!!!

New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

As you can see, we've been waiting all day to see arrangements....and yay yay yay! It was well worth the wait!!!

"Simple contribution"...is an understatement Lenjo! I love your color combination of reds and yellows with the green zinnias. Lots of color and texture. Your tomato teapot is just darling. From your post and pic, I'd like to describe you as humble, generous and in love with nature. Oh, and playful too. Please get ds to join in!

I also want to add, you had me do a lot of research to place the flowers with the names. What a great assortment you have in your garden! I'm changing my name to Zinnia, since I'm green with envy!

New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

Oops, meant to say dd...sorry.

I am intrigued, who is dd ????

New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

Correct me if I'm wrong, I think it stands for dear daughter as opposed to dear son (ds).

Thanks for the explanation Karmaplace, I'm not very familar with computer lingo, I've only had mine for
a few months.

New Orleans, LA(Zone 8b)

It took me a long time to figure that out, laugh out loud (lol)! There's also dh for dear husband, and I guess dw for dear wife? Anyway, unlike you, I was too shy to ask and finally one day, it clicked!

Thanks for the info df (dear friend)!!! I'm catching on already.

Warren, PA(Zone 5a)

Did you notice how Lenjo's arrangement has that classic "fan shape" pattern? I've always liked that look in an arrangement.

Yes BDale, I noticed that Lenjo had done a traditional front facing design, it looks modern in the teapot and is really
quirky!

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I am glad you noticed the fan shape, as I was thinking triangle as I did it. Quirky? I guess that is a great description of me too. LOL

Now tell meawhat are some of your tools? Are you using oases or frogs? I have oasis in my teapot. Tell all your secrets.

Inspired by Lenjos colour theme.
'getting to know you'
I like yellow, the colour of sunshine.
Yellow floral foam, yellow roses and small amount of greenary from the garden

Perth,, ON(Zone 5a)

every Monday during gardening season, I take 3 vases of flowers into work. one for my desk, one for my supervisor's and one for her Mom. (Mom is a shut in, many medical issues)

Supervisor has been on vacation so far this week, but will be back in to work tomorrow.

My vase is already on my desk at work, (lol, coral dawn roses, baby's breath, lavender)
but these two vases are going in for tomorrow morning.

My approach to flower design is plain and simple, what's blooming?, of that what do I like together?, and will it fit in the vase?.

these vases contain cosmos 'double click', zinnia pulima (saved seeds from last year) perennial baby's breath, and lavender.

the vases are yard sale finds

close up of the flowers first, then full view of both vases will follow, (I'm on dialup, takes a while, lol)

Thumbnail by drivenbonkers

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.