South Ga. Round-Up Coming Soon!

Donna in Douglas, GA(Zone 8b)

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/698242/

Hey There Dear Friends,
I've got to get my mind on something, and the Fall Round-Up is 3 months away.
So lets start taken those cuttings soon, so they'll be ready in October with great roots. I hope we have as big of turn-out as we did in Jonesboro. What fun it was to meet everyone! I've got lot's of room, if anyone has a RV and wanted to come on Friday night or stay over on Saturday night.

Let use this thread to chat and then I'll start another for the swaping of plants.
I'm open for suggest on the food, although I'm thinking Roger (hubby) will cook BBQ for us. But that's not written in stone yet! lol!!

The only cost to you could be donations for door prizes & food. No rental fee, we have a large gathering room with 2 kitchens, we call our Pool House.

Oh, and daylight saving time changes Nov. 4th!
Round-Up is October 27 - Saturday

I'm all ears!

Donna

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Gosh, Doona, you need to give me a quick lessen on how to take cuttings! Oct is just around the corner! Did we have a May this year? Man oh man how time flies.

You've got it Deb, quick lesson for sure! lol!!

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Can anyone tell me how they've made a misting system for cuttings without having a greenhouse? Or point me to a good site. I read somewhere that successful cuttings grow roots by misting but can't for the life of me remember where I read it. Donna, maybe you told me that. I can't remember the details.

I can divide some of my plants if cuttings don't take. Just thought I'd be able to get more plants from cuttings. Rootings that do well for me are those that grow well in water. That I know I can do. It's taking hard and soft wood cuttings that really gives me problems.

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

Deborah, the easiest way I know to do cuttings, is to cut a 2ltr. bottle off near the neck, so it will fit down into a 41/2" -6" pot, and do a mix of 60% sand, and 40%peatmoss.You can use pearlite instead of sand, but I like the sand (coarse) best.The roots cling to the sand better.(my openion)make a cutting 3-5 inches long, strip the bottom leaves, and dip in rooting harmone.(I like "dip-n-grow" best).When putting your cutting in the mix, pilot the hole with a pincil, so as not to wipe off the harmone.Place the "litre dome" over the plant, and you have a mini GH.Do not let the sun hit this direct, and you will see condensation, and your on your way.BTW, you already have your plant potted.Mike

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

That's a neat idea! I am looking for something simple. I was so afraid I'd have to invest in timers, pvc pipe, black drip hoses and the such. Just getting started to learn I was hoping there was an easier way. Thanks Mike.

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 7b)

Deb, I use a spray bottle and mist once or twice during the day. This is my second batch of cuttings and I only lost a few in the first batch. The Salvia Hadspen is giving me a challenge. So is Anise Hyssop.

chris

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

How do you know the cutting has roots? Can you see them Iike I can see my seedlings in a clear plastic cup?

There's a gal on the "Dark Side" (GW ) who has a misting system. She is on the GA forum over there. It is excellent. Someday I will build one.

Right now I'm thinking of hooking up a shade cloth system and starting some seeds. I can do cuttings in the greenhouse at church. I can't wait until we get a greenhouse at work too!

GGG

Cordeledawg, you can't tug the cutting out of the pot when it has roots. There will be "tug" back.

GGG

LOL, I like the tug back theory. I just figure that if its not dead in a month then it has to have roots. LOL

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

LOL, that sounds simple enough! Both theories!
I just broke down and bought a little walk-in greenhouse from Tractor Supply($49 probably will be flimsy). I'm just waiting for it to jump out of the box and put itself together. They had a bigger and nicer one for $150. I figured a strong wind could pick up the $150 one just as easliy as the $49 one. So, I opted for throwing the lesser to the wind. ☺
I'm not too far behind though. I do have some seeds started under lights in my sunroom and some under my patio in pot plants. Maybe I'll have enough plants for the RU if I start now. I can divide some plants too but I'll wait awhile on those.

Deborah

Deborar, one of the virtues of growing up pore (po), is that you never worry about getting what you want accomplished, because there is always a way.I have nothing invested in the system i use to propagate trees, shrubs, and herbaceous plants.It may look like a "getto", but I'm moving in a beautiful direction.Mike
That would be my GH

Thumbnail by mqiq77

This is my shade house, still no cost;

Thumbnail by mqiq77
Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

What a wonderful setup! I know what you mean 'bout being Po! Just makes you use your noodle for more than a hat rack! You know what? I've got an empty dog pen that is fenced in up against the back of my workshop that I can use to make a shade house similar to yours. Why couldn't I use one corner plus the back of workshop for support. Hey, Mike, you've got my brain working in over time. Thanks for the inspiration!

Deborah, what you have is the foundation for a GH.Wrap 6mil plastic around the pen, and streach a wind screen over the top, and in winter you can put the plastic over it, and it could be used as a GH.If you need heat, put a compost pile in the center, and things will stay warm, and you will know this by cats wanting yo get on top of it.Sounds like your in business.Mike

Cordele, GA

Deborah,

Greenhouses are easy to build if you don't mind the wood frame with plastic type. I loved mine that I built in Birmingham. Unfortunately, that was before marriage when I had only myself to please. It is tougher when your spouse's idea of a greenhouse means a curved eave sunroom from Four Seasons with a biiiiig price tag. I am a Mother Earth Magazine person married to a condominium in the city type. Love each other dearly but some things we just can't seem to see the other persons view on.

It is so funny. If I asked for a three carat diamond I would get it, but he doesn't understand wanting two cubic yards of stone for hardscaping. Sigh.....

Beth

Sounds like the perfect marrage, Beth.I have one just like it, I worked a week on digging out trash at the back door, and made an area for the edgeworthia chrisanthia, and complementry groupings, and she got mad because I dug up volanteer daiseys.Go figure!I told her I relocated the medow flowers, but she liked them at the back door.Oposits!!! How do they attract?Mike

Cordele, GA

I dunno, Mike, but it sure does happen. We have been together 24 years now, so it seems to have worked out. The year after next we will be empty nesters and I am looking forward to having it be just us. Of course with two in college we will be dead broke all the time but, hey, we were dead broke when we started and we still had good times.

Beth

Mike, where did you scrounge supplies for the shade house (like shade cloth)? What about the mister? Covered with plexi. I don't think it looks ghetto at all. Something like that would be considered "classy" in my 'hood!! I want one!!

I did not grow up poor by any means, but we did not have any extra spending money at all when I was a kid. My dad was a great one for being frugal - and taught me to at least not to fear doing it yourself when you need to. He made sure we could take care of business even if we happened to be lacking funds. You never know what situation you might find yourself in.

GGG

I've purchase a mister nozzle that put out a very fine mist for my cuttings. Most likely will have some at the round up. Along with other irragation supplies.

Thank you GGG, I put this together kinda fast, like the night before first frost, so, like usual I waite till the last minuet, and come up with a plan.The corner post are broken "stop" sign post, I pulled over, and ask the two men about how their post pounder worked(not a bad idea), and what do you do with the old post, that usually breakes off at the ground, when hit with a car.They were glad to unload them on me, as was I to take them.The wind screen was taken off a base ball fence, and replaced, because of wear, and tare.Almost same story, never hurts to get to know municipality maintience workers, they have acsess to a lot of gatgets, and they are not going to fix it.The plexie glass, same situation, saw it being replaced, struck up conversation, and they didn't want the old sun scalded sheet, but it works real well for a propagation box.
Now the misting, well thats another story.Where you live, you wouldn't use it.I promice.Mike

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8b)

I'm so glad we are doing a roundup in SOUTH Georgia! Hopefully I can attend this one, it sounds like fun

Mike:
"never hurts to get to know municipality maintience workers"...
there in itself is the problem!
I live in Atlanta. We don't have any of those. I swear, at least not in the South Eastern part of the city.
The other day they had guys from the prison picking trash in the park, lol.

GGG

GGG, lowes has shade cloth, and all you need is tent type post, and long nails that you can anchor string to.Also at lowes you can buy a kit to put grommets in anything you desire, then all you need to do is get four small fence post, drive a nail in the end of each, start on one end, and put a nail head through the grommet, and go at a right angle on either side of the post with a string, and long nail.I have seen fence post very small in diamiter, or you can buy closet round-do the same thing.Just trying to stir your imagination.The results are endless.Mike

Hmmmmmm........cut it out mike! :)

chris

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Hey there everybody, ya missed me?? Naw you did not! I am sort of back. Great to see Donna is still pursuing a GA roundup. I still have no trades (I think) but would like to know where the RU will be.
I got 2 green-house type boxes, made of dubbel pane glass windows(hinges and all), that I intend to set up today. Got them off of the Atlanta-Free-cycle forum. Great!
Maybe I can now finally properly learn to propagate. I have a bunch of stuff growing on my desk in glasses which is getting roots but I realise this is not THE proper way. But is works!
Hope everybody is doing fine and had a great vacation?
Coby

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Yes, I was wondering how you've been, Coby! Sorry your hand isn't 100%. :( Glad you're back posting. :) We've missed you!
Hope you can plan to come to the RU in Douglas at gapeahen's pool-house (Donna). It's Saturday, Oct. 27th. http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/698242/

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

I was thinking of you today Coby. Sure have missed you.

So glad to hear from you Coby, Hows that "expressive" finger doing?Glad to have you back on the net.Now that you have propagation boxes, you will find a joy that is hard to express.I know, and have been doing this for years.I started out with a single (home made) box, and now try to copy the "professional"ones, with misting system.My misting system is still a little hillbillyish, but works.Mike

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

It's good to be "back" on DG. The "expressive" finger is fine Mike but the right hand is not good yet! Just now took 2 wheel barrels full wi dirt to where the green-box is sitting, mixed it w peat-moss and my hand is hurting some. But I get tired of sitting and not doing much, so I just grit my teeth and take a Tylenol tonight.
It looks like I will not be able to make it to the RU, it is about 4 hrs from Atl. (Dunwoody) right? and my parents are coming on October. I'll wait till spring and probably by that time I am good at making cuttings etc. and I can trade!!! Coby

Coby, Please forgive me if I'm being repetitive, and covering old territory, but you need a mix of 60% sand, or perlite, to 40% peat.I use both sand, and perlite with the peat moss, and water the bed good about a week before I take the cuttings.I am starting a new bed, that I just built, and for the misting system, I am going to try capularity to see if it won`t work, and if it doesn't, I'm just out of a very used big truck intertube.My idea, if I fill the tube with water, under the mix, it will sweet, and come to the top, and drip evenly on the plants.If this works, I have a home made solar panel for heat in the winter.Who says a country boy can't survive??Mike

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Mike, how big are holes in the intertube? I was just wondering if you used an icepick or something similar.

No holes, it will sweet confined, and more especially with heat under it.I guess it would compair to the tank, and glass, or plastic over it.It really dosen't need much water, as long as you wet the bed down first, and keep it air tight.

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Sounds like you've got a good invention there.

Mike, is there holes in the bottom of that propogation box? It seems to be outside, what time of year do you use it for cuttings? Shade or sun? Doesnt it get too hot? Hubby would love for me to do this outside, instead of inside under lights on a shelf in the living room.

chris

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Mike, yes I saw your earlier message. Although I mentioned I used soil and peatmoss, the soil I have is what I used to fill the front yard. It is supposed to be really good soil made of sand, compost and garden soil. The plants out front do really well with it, so I figured..what the heck..I'll try. And I did use the 60/40 ratio. Some of my cuttings had roots already cause I had stuck them in water before I left on vacation.
I see Chris' question there. The boxes I got are actually totally open on bottom. The guy who gave them to me had them sitting on a spot in yard on top of dirt. Since I am just beginning and the yard is going to be renovated next year, I was going to try that. I guess this would be too cold in the winter, right? I don't think I can seduce my hubby to have these boxes inside! Not so sure if I would want that either.

Ok, Chris the propagation box can be open at the bottom, or covered, with slats for drainage.The ONLY reason to have a covered bottom, is to protect against invasive roots, that can swallow the developing roots, of the growing plants,When a cutting is taking on roots, it has a siphoning action that seems to draw the invasive roots up, and around the developing plant.Whit out going into a loooong spil about what I have tried in the past, lets say, that some tree roots will try to feed off the box, there fore, I would recomend a barrier, like tin, where it has drainage, to avoid this.The new box that I'm working on will have a false bottom, Like 3/16" hardware cloth, with screen on top of the heavy clowth, to hold the mix, and a bottom to hold the moister, and heat.I will put some tin, or plywood around it to insulate it against severe weather changes.It should appear to be a rabbit hutch, or some type base, whitch you can put hot compost, for heat.I will take pics, as I progress, however DW reminds me of a million unfinshed others.Mike

Thanks mike, I am gonna look around and see what I can create.
Now nobody come up with any new ideas or projects until I finish these.

chris

I'm sorry Chris, to answer your question, yes your propagation box must be able to drain, and you want it to have light, but not direct light.I do use mine all winter and the cuttings have never frozen, as of yet.On a very low cold night, you might want to cover the whole thing, or best yet, stack straw around, and over it.Mike

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.