cala lily

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

I bought a pot of these (varigated w/pointed leaves) the flower is white. I noticed yesterday a couple of seed pods. Looks like a cluster of seeds inside a flower. Can these be harvested and grown? Will I get the same thing or are these a "hybrid" to and I may get something looking different? Still, If I can grow these from seeds, it would be fun. Should I plant them now, in fall or spring.
dawn

Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

I grew some Cala lilies from seed several yrs ago. They were the large yellow ones, and all mine came true from seed. However, you have to be patient- mine took 5 - 6 yrs before they bloomed, and of course in my zone I had to dig them up each fall. Still, as you said, it's fun!

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

Great, thanks I'm gonna try then!

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

How do you know when it is time to harvest the seeds? I have 2 seed pods that I am watching.

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

Good question. I plucked one a while ago and have it sitting on my window seal (sp). Don't know. I have more that I've left on the plant. I'll look it up. Just havent' had the time.

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

How's this?
http://www.flower-garden-bulbs.com/callalilyseeds.html

Thats the first one I came to. I'm sure there is more info out there

Fair Grove, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks, I learned a little about Alluims while I was there.

Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Wow! I learned something from that link. I harvested my pods while they were still green (oops), and waited a few months before planting. When I did, it was over 3 months before they sprouted! They were in a fairly cool room, though (oops,again). Maybe if I'd gotten the seeds off to a better start they would've bloomed sooner! Think I'll try it again next year!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.