Lantana

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

This has set seeds. Can I save these and plant them? Can I winter sow them?
Thanks,
Dawn

Thumbnail by pdoyle23323
Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

Make sure it's seeds you're saving.. The seeds are like little bead balls that's attached to the oblong stem head.. I was saving the stem head for a while thinking that was the seeds.. Go fig

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

lol - Yes i'm pretty sure they are seeds. They are green at first and now they are turning purple. They are everywhere. Will they be the same color?

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

Can't say I know since I didn't try planting my seeds yet..

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

ok thanks

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Definitely wait until the seeds turn purple before you collect them, when they're green they're not ripe yet. As far as whether the babies would turn out to be the same color--the lantana you're starting with is most likely a hybrid (most of the lantanas that are sold in nurseries are hybrids), so it probably won't come true from seed. The colors may come out pretty similar to the parent so you'd never know they weren't the same, or they could look quite different. That's half the fun of starting things from seed, waiting to see what they turn out like!

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

thanks ecrane3. That is what I thought as with so many other seeds. One question I haven't gotten an anser on yet, Can I winter sow them?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I don't do winter sowing--hopefully someone else will know that one!

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

Try the winter sow forum or d-mail Poojer. Poojer is a winter sow expert.. Think she runs the WinterSown charity organization..

http://wintersown.org/wseo1/Free_Seeds.html

Please post if you get the info. I have lantana seeds that needs to be sown too.

Lindy

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Be sure to sqwoosh the seed out of the pupl before you sew them. I wait until early spring to sew mine.
I've got lots of seed grown plants from an unknown pink bush type seeds and hybrid Confetti and if they're not just alike,they're so close you can't tell them apart.

P

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

OK great! I'll try them!
Thanks,
Dawn

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.