Anyone have Parzifal?

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Spring of last year I bought hyd Parzifal (in a 3" pot) from Bluestone Perennials. This was my first hyd and I didn't know very much about them. I stuck it in the ground and hoped for the best. By fall it had what looked like 2 buds. Being a lazy gardener, as winter approached I covered the base with about and inch of dead leaves for mulch; but that's all I did.

We had a very harsh winter and a late killing freeze this spring. I thought the whole plant was dead. But lo and behold, new growth started to appear. And much to my amazement, blossoms appeared on the new wood. I took the picture about 2 weeks ago. As you can see, the whole plant is pretty small, but it's pretty nonetheless.

I'm confused. I thought that this cultivar bloomed on old wood. Am I mistaken? Or did some miracle occur ;-) Has anyone out there had experience with this particular cultivar? Thoughts .... anyone?

Thumbnail by shebs45
West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

Apparently it is a rebloomer, and it should be red too.

Presque Isle, MI(Zone 5a)

According to Moonshine Design nursery it is not a re bloomer, only blooms on last years wood. Maybe Bluestone made a good mistake?

Gary

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Joy Creek Nursery also says it's a rebloomer, some other sites say it's not. Some places don't mention whether it's a rebloomer or not but talk about a bloom time of July to September, which would suggest to me that it blooms on new wood, things that bloom on old wood will generally bloom earlier in the year. So I don't know what to think!

Presque Isle, MI(Zone 5a)

I am going to purchase one and see if it will bloom for me in N.E. Michigan. The cold part of zone 5. The old timers here says that it "pends how cold it gets as to what zone it is here".
Ecrane
Your hydrangea advice is always sound and wise. Thanks

Gary

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Well, if you don't mind piling leaves over it for the winter then you've got some chance of getting it to bloom even if it does just bloom on old wood. Good luck! You might want to explore some other cultivars though, a couple of the websites I peeked at trying to figure out if it was a rebloomer or not suggested that it was one of the less hardy H. macrophylla cultivars, so if you're not planning to protect it much it may not make it through the winter at all, let alone bloom.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Thank you all for your responses.

At first I thought maybe Bluestone mislabeled it and sent me something else, but the description they give for Parzifal says pink or blue serrated petals. You can't tell by the photo, but the petals do have serrated edges.

Anyhow, I guess I should be thankful I have a pretty little plant and not worry about what it's supposed to be. :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.