Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Hydrangeas: Anyone have Parzifal?, 1 by shebs45

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright shebs45

Subject: Anyone have Parzifal?

Forum: Hydrangeas

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Anyone have Parzifal?
shebs45 wrote:
Spring of last year I bought hyd Parzifal (in a 3" pot) from Bluestone Perennials. This was my first hyd and I didn't know very much about them. I stuck it in the ground and hoped for the best. By fall it had what looked like 2 buds. Being a lazy gardener, as winter approached I covered the base with about and inch of dead leaves for mulch; but that's all I did.

We had a very harsh winter and a late killing freeze this spring. I thought the whole plant was dead. But lo and behold, new growth started to appear. And much to my amazement, blossoms appeared on the new wood. I took the picture about 2 weeks ago. As you can see, the whole plant is pretty small, but it's pretty nonetheless.

I'm confused. I thought that this cultivar bloomed on old wood. Am I mistaken? Or did some miracle occur ;-) Has anyone out there had experience with this particular cultivar? Thoughts .... anyone?