i heard it's bad luck to say "thank you" for gift plants....

Strasburg, VA(Zone 6b)

so, here's a heart felt May the breezes keep you cool while you garden & the rains water your plants! to all who went to the swap at Hart's including the gracious host herself :-)

Diane and i had a chance to do a mini-swap when she brought the plants left for me at the big swap...there were so many nice plants which i've been planting the last couple of days.
I hope to be able to return the kindness at the fall swap!

Happy gardening!
Lynda

Brunswick, MD(Zone 6b)

When I give my mom a plant she always says "I won't thank you for it" which to us means "Thank you for the the plant" because she believes if you thank the person then the plant will die.

Strasburg, VA(Zone 6b)

if you said that in a recent post, then that's where i heard...i tried to google it for more info, but didn't have any luck

certainly didn't want any plants to die!

Brunswick, MD(Zone 6b)

Nope, weren't me that posted it. But you did get me curious enough to do a search too. I found a little article with this superstition and a few others as well that I'd never heard of. http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/071301/fea_221-5857.000.shtml

Here's one on parsley. http://www.oldsuperstitions.com/parsley.html

Oh, I better stop looking, I'm scarin' myself!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

well, I better not try to start any parsley plants for swap.

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

I have heard the " Thank you" bad luck too many years ago. Might have been my Mom, not sure.

Ok, am I weard or what? Was I the only one cracking up on the sceond from the last on the parsley. ROFLMBO!!!!!

Brunswick, MD(Zone 6b)

Whoops! I didn't read that all the way to the end until after I posted it!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

miatablu,

Thank you for researching all these old superstitions. I LOVE this kind of stuff!!! I forwarded the 2 links to certain people on my list of friends and also Bookmarked them both.

Old id GOOD! It is a window on the way people lived and perceived the World and all it's "happenings"...Wish life was as simple nowadays......

Gita

Edited to say Thanks to Larienda for the links.....Sorry! Mea Culpa! Pardon!....etc.

This message was edited Jul 18, 2007 9:20 PM

Oh, my goodness!!!! It was Miatablu after all! Thanks! Do you all think I should go to a Looney Bin soon???????? :o( Sorry again! Phew! I am losing it!!!

This message was edited Jul 18, 2007 9:22 PM

ha ha Chris- I'm weird too. That one kept going back thru my head......why would anybody try it inthe first place??????

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Well, this is all news to me! I've never heard that before.

Bedford, VA(Zone 7a)

well, Sallyg,
you could start parsley plants for the swap and whoever gets them could pay you a penny..That way you're not giving them away!

There's a solution! I have two huge gone-to-seed parsleys in the garden.
So whereabouts is So Boston VA? That pretty south of Boston,(Mass) alright!

Bedford, VA(Zone 7a)

South Boston is 2 hours southwest of Richmond and two hours northwest of Raleigh, NC, in the south central portion of Virginia. Lovely little town, nice architecture but economically depressed due to a lot of factory closings and loss of tobacco buyers.

There are a lot of those lovely but depressed towns, sadly.
My mom was born in Cumberland MD, which was the second largest city in the state around 1900. It's been struggling, trying to build some tourism.

Bedford, VA(Zone 7a)

I know Cumberland. I used to own property in Berkeley Springs, WVA, not too far from there, maybe an hour and a half if I remember right. I went there for some sort of celebration a few years ago, they had the Budweiser Clydesdales, I love those horses!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

South Boston home of Ward and Jeff Burton!!!

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

From what I understand, that old wives tale of not thanking someone who gives you a plant because it won't grow, comes from the PA. Dutch here in PA. You can, however tell them you "appreciate" their gift.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.