Harvesting Hollyhocks

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Hi all- Just checking here.

Are all those black things viable seeds or do I have to check for a live embryo?

Also, there is a notch in every single seed of mine -- not a hole, but a notch I assume that's normal, right? I understand some people have a worm that eats the seeds and I need to make sure I don't have it, but I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for.

Suzy

Thumbnail by Illoquin
Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

Hi Suzy,

Yes, all of your hollyhock seeds will have a notch in them. If you want to reassure yourself on this, take a look at the following site - Hollyhocks are the second entry down (Alcea):
http://www.theseedsite.co.uk/db1a.html

The insect damage that you will be looking for is a small round hole through the seeds. They get right into the seed pod and merrily munch a tunnel through the seeds. Any seeds that have this damage will not be viable.

I hope this helps!

--Ginny

Ah, Ginny, You're an angel, thanks!

And are ALL these black seeds viable? Like 20-25 for flower? Is that possible? If they aren't all viable, how do I tell the difference without a microscope?

Suzy

Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

Hollyhock Weevil, Apion longirostre, is a nuisance, especially if the seeds aren't used soon and the eggs have a chance to hatch. Putting them in a ziplock and storing in the freezer for a couple weeks seems to help.

Okay, I'll do that, balvenie. I am going to let them dry for a couple days first, unless you post back that that is a bad idea.

Thanks!
Suzy

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

I wouldn't want to just give you a blanket statement that ALL of the seeds are viable, but I would suspect that most are. At least, I've always had good luck with mine that way :-)

--Ginny

Okay, that's good enough....Lilies, as an example, have mostly non-viable seeds with some viable ones thrown in; something like an Orienpet probably has no viable seeds unless it was hand pollinated witha special pollen parent, and you see those blank lily seeds in swaps & round robins all the time. I didn't want to send in blank seeds, y'know?

Suzy

Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

I let them dry on the stalk, clip the seed cases into a pail then rub 'em out to get rid of most of the dross. Nice (sometimes questionable) thing about hollyhocks is that they put out so much seed and seem to pop up everywhere, whether they are wanted or not. Even if only 10% of the seeds are viable there will still be more than the average bear will need, so says Yogi. I should have a bunch of new seed from this year, and lots I just found in the freezer if you run out.
Good luck.
robert

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

We don't get many volunteers in this area because of the hot humid weather.I have lots of seed and putting them in the freezer is a good idea.

Thanks

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.