seed beginner person; july seed planting indoors?

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

okay i am so excited....i planted lupine and echinacea seeds today; i have them in the house....i hope that they will germinate in the house or should i take them outside??

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Different seeds will germinate in the house. We start out daylily seeds inside and then transplant them later. We are in Zone 9a and it's just too hot outside for them now.

I am considering starting some other types of seeds also. Trying to get a head start on fall. We don't have much of a winter until Jan or Feb here.

Good luck with your seeds!

This message was edited Aug 1, 2007 8:07 PM

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Texas gal, I live in Gilmer, so not too far away, although more humid there, but what seeds do you germinate to grow in fall? Pansies will grow I know, but not much else

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

We start our daylilies inside. I'm thinking of starting some Bird of Paradise but they will have to be overwintered in the garage, and the Rose of Sharon, also. They should be able to take it outside.

There are some articles on wintersowing that I am going to check out.

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Texasgal, please let me know what you find out.

Blanco, TX(Zone 9a)

Hey! I live in Blanco. With all the rain and cooler than our regular Hades weather,
everyone in my area is thrilled with gardening right now.
I am not new to gardening, but have started some tropicals from seed, which is
very new to me. I have started edulis, Bird of Paradise, 4 o' clocks, chocolate
jasmine, and a host of fall vegetables. Yeah, I've gone way overboard- I've really
started more than you want to know! I have my little peat pots on the front porch, at
the east end, where they get several hours of sun in the early a.m. I keep them moist, watering early in the morning
So far most all the vegetables have popped up, and of the tropicals and others,
the 4 o'clocks, chocolate jasmine (cestrum diurnam) and purple Sunrise lantana
(lantana camara) have also emerged. It has been 10 days since I started them(the veggies and zinnia were up in 3 days). The other tropicals take much longer to
germinate, I hope they get enough light where they are. I think this early sun porch
location is working.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Terriffic, sounds good!

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

When they are started in the fall and come up, will they be okay until spring. Will they just grow untill I plant outside.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Yes, if you have room for them. Make sure they have good air circulation. If you have a celing fan make sure it is on, or if you have a small box fan, any kind of circulation they should be OK. Some plants need more light than just a regular light bulb. I have moved my daylily seedlings outside. My amaryllis are coming up and one Bird of Paradise.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.