Perennial Geranium Cuttings?

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Hi all--

I have a perennial Geranium 'Rozanne' that has more than outgrown her boundaries and needs to be clipped back. Does this grow from cuttings? Will the cuttings root with the standard 2 leaf nodes underground and 1 or 2 above ground? In potting soil or water? Do I need Rootone? Is mid-July an okay time to do it? It has really gotten huge and is now taking on a group of 2 dozen Calendulas, so I need to do something very soon!

Thanks,
Suzy

Thumbnail by Illoquin
Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

I'm doing the very same thing right now. Yes, go ahead and try it. I think the worst problem I have had with them is keeping them too moist once they've developed roots. They need the soil moist to develop them, but rot easily if you keep them that way too long.

Okay, thanks - How long should I make the cuttings? I haven't examined them, but going by memory, I htink there is about 3" between nodes...if I have 2 nodes below ground and 2 nodes with leaves above ground, those are going to be some long cuttings!

Suzy

Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

Mine are only one node below and one with leaves (mostly removed) above.

Okay -- trimming that thing is on The List of things to do...and I gotta do it before them weekend when Mr. Clean mows or he'll trim them for me!

Thanks, Stella,
Suzy

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Oooh...this will be good to know about. I want to start some more Rozanne's, too. I heard over one the Geranacea forum that Rozanne was a challenge so I've never tried it but wouldn't it be great to do?

In the past I have divided mine with limited success....

Thud! Back to reality. I figured it was hard or we would have seen it in more trades or something -- darn it!

Thanks for the heads up, Tab!

Suzy

Sorry, I was just delighted that you were going to try it. I'm sure you have the skill it requires.

I usually divide mine since I am clueless on rooting but it seems a shame to waste all of those trimmings.

(Jan) So Milw, WI(Zone 5b)

Hey all,

I am a "victim" of Geranium Rozanne---I paid a lot for it and planted directly into the garden-bad, bad, bad!!! It has TOTALLY taken over the garden! I have been pulling it out by clumps and just "tossed" a handful into a hanging planter with dirt and it has taken root with no problem whatsoever...

...just my $0.02 worth...

Jan

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/propa/msg0617583226572.html

Here's the post that gave me the idea it wasn't so easy. Maybe the 'cube' method is the way to go. (I don't know what the cube method is exactly.)

JL--sorry to hear you don't like rozanne. It's a life-saver for me as it's a cover plant for the spaces where I have spring bulbs, I also underplant several of my daylilies with rozanne and it seems to work just fine. I also use 'Orion' and 'Jolly Bee' for fill ins--- often I confuse the ID of three of them though--they are all pretty.

I haven't tried rozanne in hanging baskets, but I think I will next year (if I can get some to root!)

Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

Well, those folks seem to be saying the problem mostly is rotting, just like mine did before I learned that point where you need to back off and let them be drier.

Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

Just a little update on my cuttings. I have a 60% success rate. I had ten cuttings and four of them didn't make it. I think they were a little behind the other six in developing roots and when I stopped the watering they died. The others are not growing but are holding their own. No water but misting a couple of times a day and under a dome.

Very good news!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.