Thumbnail by skimper
Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

thanks for the info I'll be trying them in the spring
Gloria

Warren, PA(Zone 5a)

Skimper,

More nice ones! Woo hoo on the cactus!!

Greenwich, OH

Bdale60:The cactus are one of my favorite zinnias.have to plant more for next year.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I like those zinnias skimper. The middle one is my favorite.

Same zinnias as yesterday, but new critter. I followed this guy around and he went to zinnias and butterfly bushes only.
I'm assuming it's a type of hummingbird moth.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Greenwich, OH

Nice!photo Al .I like the color combination yellow and purple zinnias.The moth is enjoying!your zinnias.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

I like the purple and yellow too. And what is the green flower/plant just behind? A nice plant too.

I am enjoying all the fancy cactus zinnia pics, too. I wish I had some in the garden.

Al, on your red flame zinnia pic--is that one plant or a number of zinnia plants? Lots of pretty flowers, in any case, and I would love them in my butterfly garden.

Are you all getting pretty good butterfly visitors on all your zinns now?

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

That's Autumn Joy sedum. There is about 8 plants in that pot - my stuffed potted ones now need watering twice a day with the heat. Don't think I would recommend that many in a pot. Lots of sulfurs here now.

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Al, You never said on the Purple & Yellow -- what kind are they? The heads look so deep (tall? thick?).

Suzy

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

You know I actually have a Burpees yellow and purple mix started late. Those are Lavender Gem and Canary Bird Yellow - I've posted them.

Thinking back to Tabasco's line of questioning about the varieties that have had the best flower to leaf ratio ,so far are White Wedding and Dreamlands Mix - the others are average.

It's so funny that the yellow Canary Bird in the photo a few up from this (with the purple) and also the one that heads up the entire thread are the same thing! I wouldn't have guessed it.

Thanks, Al!
Suzy

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

They are.Just did a round of deadheading to try and get some new flowers. You know, I like yellow, but it's a color I need to watch how much I have. I'll probably will just have yellow in a zinnia mix next year - so much around right now.

lot of yellow here now
big dahlia - Kelvin Floodlight

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Well my hodge podge bunch of flowers from my saved Uproar Rose plants has a few flowers that look true. Now if I saved these then they should be true?right?maybe?

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Hey, Al,
Happy birthday!
Have a Great Day!
Bernie

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Thanks Bernie
I will
Al

Al! Happy, Happy Birthday!

I made this just for you! :)

Suzy

Thumbnail by Illoquin
Louisville, KY(Zone 6b)

Hi all,

I just snapped a picture of this butterfly on my Zowie Zinna. Does anyone know the name of it?

Thumbnail by BettyFB
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Thanks Suzy - very pretty!

Betty, I would think that's a swallowtail. You could post it in butterflies/hummers for an ID.

Louisville, KY(Zone 6b)

Thanks Al,

I did that last night and you are right---it is a Tiger Swallowtail. He was so friendly last night as I was taking a lot of pictures of him last evening--it is also a male. He was flying very close to me and just about landed on me. It brought some happy relief to a very very hot day in Louisville ---102 degrees.

Enjoy all your photos and contributions to DG.

Warren, PA(Zone 5a)

Just admit it Betty.

That butterfly was flirting with you. :)

Louisville, KY(Zone 6b)

BDale60,

LOL!!! It was so strange because all the other butterflies I get near take off with lightning speed. Maybe this is just the way Swallowtails are---more friendly.

Betty, pretty pic of your butterfly friend. Not to be rude, but were you sweaty?? LOL

Sometimes male swallowtails will check out people as a source for salts and moisture!

I wish I had planted more zinnias so I had something new to post--only my Benary's and as pretty as they may be, they seem to have been well covered on the Annuals forum--that won't stop me, however--- LOL

Thumbnail by tabasco
Greenwich, OH

Hello:Tabasco your benary zinnias are pretty!

Warren, PA(Zone 5a)

Beautiful Benary bloom (say that three times, fast). Appropriately, it looks almost like the color of "Tabasco" in that photo :)

Louisville, KY(Zone 6b)

Tabasco,

No, I was not sweaty at all last night while watering my flowers. That Swallowtail was flying right by me and I would get so close to take pictures and he would not fly away. This is the first time I have ever been able to take a picture of a butterfly and I am going to print out this picture for my album.

Could you post a picture of your whole gardens or your whole yard for us to get ideas?

Hi, Betty-- Well, if you weren't 'sweaty' you must have been wearing some nice perfume! In any case I hope you post more pics of your butterflies!

This summer I have mostly been working on my 'butterfly garden' so I posted some pics of our garden on that forum if you want to check them out. I am not sure I have any new ideas, since I get most of my tips from the DG gardeners!

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/747823/

Warren, PA(Zone 5a)

Here's an interesting little Cactus

Thumbnail by BDale60
Warren, PA(Zone 5a)

A "two tone" Orange....

Thumbnail by BDale60
Warren, PA(Zone 5a)

Another "Whirlygig". The best ones in this color combination seem to be singles.

Thumbnail by BDale60
Greenwich, OH

Nice!zinnias.I like the whirlygig.

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

strong presence

Thumbnail by jmorth
Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

jmorth . . .the colors are astounding. If someone painted that, I would think they improved on nature--nothing could be that perfect and vibrant.

My "Purple Prince" zinnias are more pedestrian. So much so I'm wondering if they might be a good crop for biodiesel (the flowers are nice but, wow, there is a lot of plant to them and we've got at least 6 weeks to go):

Thumbnail by David_Paul
Greenwich, OH

Gorgeous!purple prince zinnias.

Warren, PA(Zone 5a)

Jmorth, beautiful bloom!

David Paul, your border looks outstanding. Very classy.

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

BDale...looks better up close in the morning (I dead headed at 6AM). These zinnias are hardy plants. They cover up where I need to do some serious carpentry work on the porch very nicely too.

Thumbnail by David_Paul
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

David, where do you get your seeds?

Al - where do you get your seeds?

And after reading the thread, or skimming, I saw a comment about the profusions - do you guys not like the profusion?

I always get my seeds from Johnnyseeds, a top 30, and they have commercial growers side of the site where you buy single colors by weight, not packets.
Kathy

Ottawa, KS(Zone 5b)

Kathy,

Can you buy from the Johnny's Commercial site even if you aren't a commercial grower? A lot of commercial sites require the name of your business. Parks and Harris have commercial sites that have lots of stuff that isn't available on their retail sites, but they ask you for the name of your business, which apparently rules out the home gardener.

MM

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

MM - yes, you can buy in bulb from the commercial side, I buy from them all the time, skip that small pack thing. I have purchased from these guys for years and love their seeds. No problem at all. It's crazy to buy in pack when even 1/8 is a great deal.

I haven't tried from Parks or Harris.

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

shihzusom....Those are Burpee Purple Prince. Company says "up to 3 feet tall" but mine are over that now. Got them from a discount rack last March--89 cents for that border. They are not a uniform cultivar. Some blooms are Dahlia-like; most are not. The photo on the package is of a zinnia with multiple layers of petals.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.