When is Gaillardia ready for harvest?

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

When is Gaillardia ready for harvest? Does anybody know?

Suzy

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

I got mine last year way into the fall Suzy. That's not to say that they weren't ready sooner, but I knew nothing about them and just dead-headed my neighbor's (and one from the town's planter) after they were done caring for them for the season. Not much help I know, lol. BTW I had pretty good success with them. They are just about to bloom.

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

The petals will fall off and the little ball that results will turn from a reddish color to a gray/whit 'fuzzball' look. They won't be as fluffy as a dandiloin, but have a bit of a 'stickerball' look about them.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/159268/
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/1781/
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/2072/

Here's images of an unripe seed head, ripe seed head and finally, seeds.

Hope this helps

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

How embarrassing. I didn't know it was in PFs, sorry for the trouble, Melody.

I'm also not sure I can live with the bare nekked flowers until the seed ripens! I was hoping they were ready as soon as the petals dropped off.

Thanks,
Suzy

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Suzy,

sometimes asking helps others.

I have these [gaillardia] and have had a tough time figuring how and when to grab the seeds....

this thread helped me.

I've tried, possibly too early, and the darned "ball" is sorta like thistle [it hurts] so i'd give up. now i know to wait til it's 'fluff'.

Terese

Selinsgrove, PA(Zone 5b)

Maybe a photo would help. The white puff ball is ready to collect.

DEMinPA

Thumbnail by DEMinPA
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks DEM,

yes, i viewed the images in the 3 links provided above... then went out back and found some white poof balls.

i was able to get quite a few seeds. I still have the flowers in many stages, so i feel i will get plenty of seeds this season.

I;m curious though... is this an annual or perennial?
I was reading in PF where someone in the chicago area stated he/she

Quoting:

take a spade and stick half the spade into the ground 6 inches from the plant, circling the plant. This will stimulate the rhizomes to spread and the plant to divide next spring.

if there are rhizomes, won't that make it a perennial?

Morgantown, WV(Zone 6a)

Yes it is. This Sounds like info on how to stimulate the plant for division next spring. You leave it in the ground & in spring separate the part that was partially separated in the fall. Then you have more plants.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

thanks.

also, i was even unaware i had this Gaillardia until i saw it bloom. must have gotten it in a package of various seeds - a wild flower mix, because i have done them in that area.

i'll have to research this plant more now.

terese

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I think some gaillardias are annuals, and some are "short lived" perennials. You have to check on the specific type.

Karen

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Most gaillardia are short lived perennials. There are some annual ones like Sundance Bicolor etc. I always collect the seeds once the puffballs are nice and white. The puffballs seem to not hold up and last real long. The seeds are short triangular spikes as I recall. The last time I tried to transplant them in spring was really odd - like digging up spaghetti.

Morgantown, WV(Zone 6a)

Sorry. My bad. I guess all of the Gaillardia pulchella varieties are annuals. I wasn't thinking of them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.