had to transplant a fig tree- help!!

Avon, IN(Zone 5a)

My grandparents ended up moving this weekend, and their house of 45 years will be put up for sale this month. Since we live out of town and who knows if we'd be able to get up there in time we had this one opportunity to get one of their fig trees. So we dug it up on Fri and immediatly put it in a pot. Sunday when we got back home we planted it. It's been pretty hot (low 90's) The branches of new growth are pretty wilted and the leaves are crunchy. When we water it the leaves become soft again. We gave it a healthy dose of Vit B1 (to help w/ root growth) and are praying that it makes it. Do you have any advice or information about what we need to do to help it? I'm not expecting a lot of new growth now this season, but want to ensure that it makes it through the heat so it'll come back next season.

Saint Clair Shores, MI(Zone 6b)

Shade the tree to reduce transpiration (trees sweat too) and mulch the base heavily (3-4 inches)

Pray..

oh yeah...how big was the tree when you dug it? Did they ever do anything special to protect it in the winter?

~Chills

Yes throw some shade cloth over it for a few days...they are pretty tough things....it might sulk and drop some leaves but it should make it. Good Luck

Avon, IN(Zone 5a)

Thanks for all the info!

Chills- my grandparents trim the branches off to the ground in late fall and then would cover it with leaves and mulch for protection all winter. They lived in Merrillvill, IN (near lake Michigan) and they've made it for a long time!

Santa Barbara, CA(Zone 10a)

Get some superthrive. It's vitamins and hormones and can really save a transplant.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.