Oddities

Ventura, CA(Zone 10b)

Saw these 3 palms all within a mile of each other on the same rural road.

#1 Beheaded

Seems odd that they didn't cut down the whole thing....

Thumbnail by Venturan
Ventura, CA(Zone 10b)

oops

This message was edited Jul 9, 2007 4:21 PM

Thumbnail by Venturan
Ventura, CA(Zone 10b)

#2 growing out of ?? a well? pressure relief pipe?

Some sort of concrete pipes sticking out of the ground along a farm

Thumbnail by Venturan
Ventura, CA(Zone 10b)

#3a That Musta Hurt

Mangled looking palm. Sorry about the poor pic quality. I bought an expensive 7.2 megapixel camera that can't take stinkin clear pics even though the little rectangles in the view screen say it's focused....

Ventura, CA(Zone 10b)

oops again, forgot to add image

Thumbnail by Venturan
Ventura, CA(Zone 10b)

#3b blurry close up

I can revisit and try to take clearer pics if anyone is interested

Thumbnail by Venturan
Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

What brand camera did you buy? If it's anywhere near expensive then you must be using some incorrect settings. Even cheapies these days take great pics.

Those are some weird palms. Sure you didn't enter The Twilight Zone? I've seen some headless palms before, they look really odd.

That last one looks like someone chopped off the top of a Phoenix something and it's starting to grow back? Absolutely strange!

I'll try to take some pix of the headless P. canariensis that's near me. It was pineappled (trimmed) then the head fell off. Nice-looking pineapple though. Prolly used unclean tools or maybe trimmed it wrong. osideterry might know the one. It's at the NW corner of Hwy 76 and Rancho del Oro Rd.

Ventura, CA(Zone 10b)

Canon Powershot A620...pics taken with Auto setting

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

well my Canon powershot A520 takes pictures crystal clear and so should yours. Did you have the little "flower" icon showing when you took the pics? That is for close up. They'll make a distant shot look out of focus. But you have to physically push the flower icon button for that icon to appear, it is not a default setting.

Oceanside, CA(Zone 9b)

Here's a pygmy in my neighborhood...

Thumbnail by osideterry
Oceanside, CA(Zone 9b)

Yep, one crown is healthy and the other is crap. Here is a closeup.

Thumbnail by osideterry
Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

that hurts my eyes.

Mission Viejo, CA(Zone 10a)

That first one, venturan, looks like lightning hit it and knocked the top off and fried the rest.

I agree with FOF... the others just look weird. Would that be caused by some kind of damage?

Ventura, CA(Zone 10b)

pygmy afro

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

Here are what I believe to be Cardboard palm flowers. When was the last time you saw some of those?
Either that or some other plant was flowering right next to it...

Thumbnail by FondOfFronds
Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

I dunno if this qualifies as an "oddity," but I've never seen a Sago seed pod like this before. Sure is an oddity to me...

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

almost looks like an ear of corn! Salt and butter anyone?

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

I took these pics at Woodland Nursery in Vista. The owners are very nice and have a lot of tropicals and palms, focusing on tri Kings. That Sago and this Kentia were blooming up front on their lot. I've never seen a Howea bloom, pretty interesting flowers.

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

Lots of seeds on this Howea.

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

One more of the Howea flowers.

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

Not really an oddity but still an interesting shot of their King seedlings. Acres of Kings on at this nursery, almost all multies. Most tri-Kings but many were multiple trunking ones in 48" boxes.

FOF, here you go (Huntington Library)

Thumbnail by jackiescompost

One of my Dypsis lutescens - it could explain what's happening on those other palms with curly tops. On this one, the new growth was trapped in the old leaf base. The stalk can't get through and is corkscrewing. It appears another leaf is growing out the other end.

Thumbnail by jackiescompost
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

FOF, those sago palm cones that are long, are simply male cones that produce pollen. the female ones are rounder and fatter, im guessing that is what you are used to. also, that pic of the"cardboard palm flowers" is an albizia julibrissin in bloom, neither a palm or cycad, it is a deciduous, small tree, related to the pea.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Right. Cycads don't have flowers anyway. Only cones.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

FOF that's what a male sago looks like. Sorry but at the right time of year I can take a hundred pictures like yours.

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

guess it's not an oddity then. Just your everyday Sago pollen cone. a dime a dozen oh well, it was an oddity to me anyways. I guess one man's oddity is another man's commonality.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

The females have a rounder wider cone. Like half a basketball right in the center.

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

I have a female, that's why I was surprised to see that pollen cone. I'd never seen such a sight. I think Sago's have some really interesting characteristics, both male and femal. This shot was taken earlier this year in April. By now it has a whole new crown of fronds that just opened. I tend to overlook it since it hasn't grown very much but it's beautiful in it's own right.

Garden Grove, CA(Zone 10a)

I am creating an oddity just to see what happens. I have a Washingtonia seedling in my yard that I put through a rock with a hole in it. I don't plan on keeping the seedling forever. I wonder if it will break the rock or do something odd to the palm. Some might say that is twisted and that I shouldn't mess with nature.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

....and others, like me, say it's perfectly fine to experiment like that! i do it all the time

Whether you plant it through a hole in a rock or a hole in the ground, you are "messing with nature." Those people are silly and I say have fun :-) But please let us know what happens.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

yeah, please! or else we'll have to do it ourselves

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

so how wide is the hole for this experiment? I'm all for creating your own oddity.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

here is an oddity: a palmetto started to grow near a live oak until a hurricane or somethiing tilted it over, and now the palmetto is trapped Under the oak... this was taken in Shipyard Plantation on Hilton Head Island, SC.

Thumbnail by 1cros3nails4gvn
Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

looks like the live oak got itself a kick stand! LOL

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

yeah! it will be cool to see how the palm tree turns out in like 10 yrs!

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

if it makes it! I don't think I could hold up that much weight for very long LOL

Garden Grove, CA(Zone 10a)

regarding the palm in the rock; the hole could fit a thumb through it. I'll post a pict later if anyone wants to see. Will be more interesting when it outgrows the hole.

About the palm and oak; what if someone carefully cut a hole in the oak so the palm could grow through it, and then sealed up the tree wounds.

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

well by the looks of it I don't think the oak would survive a hole cut through its heart.
That hole being only the size of the thumb, I would think the palm would crack the rock. Either that or it wouldn't make it. That's not a very big diameter.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.