Money Plant from Brent

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Brent: You gave me a money plant (plus a million other plants, for which thanks!) at the swap.

I thought I was familiar with money plant. But the leaves on your plant are getting huge. Is it a particular cultivar of Lunaria annua?

Also, have you grown this before? My recollection is that money plant had stunning flowers, but was a voracious self-seeder. Is that true of this plant? If so, I'll be careful to deadhead.

Many thanks!

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

I am a newbie when it comes to Lunaria annua myself. The seeds were given to me in a swap. The pictures seem to match up with some pictures that I have found on the web, so I am pretty sure they are actually Lunaria annua. I just planted out some myself last week and I picked a rather shady spot.

Here is a thread on the Perennials form where I asked some questions: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/721123/

- Brent

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks! One of the posters said it did well in the shade, so I'll try that!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Happy,

"Money Plant is a biennial. This time of year, the ones we got from Brent, they are just gonna grow and grow--NO flowers until next Spring. Plant them outside in any bed and let them "do their thing: during Winter.
Next Spring they will bloom with tall stalks of beautiful, blue flowers and make those translucent, oval "moneys". The seeds are in those oval things--on either side of the membrane. You have to rub the membranes off and collect the seeds. What is left is the iridescent membranes that are so beautiful in dried flower arrangements.

Ask Sallyg--she has a "forest" of them.....

Gita

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I remember them -- I grew them once before and were they ever seedy! But I don't remember the leaves being so large. Probably just poor memory.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Some of them can get pretty big leaves, I think it's just your fabulous soil there,, tee hee...One I have this year back where I've had compost awhile has big leaves .

Hi Gita- I was wondering where you've been....

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally,

I am still here--sitting in my chair by the Computer. Reading everything but not necessarily replying. I only post when I want to say or contribute something--remember?

Has Critter started a new thread yet for the fall swap? Like who is bringing what and such?

Can I still ride up with you? Pleeeeeese??????? We had too much fun going to hart's!

Are you growing any seeds or any cuttings for this Swap? There's not much stuff to bring this time of year.

Gita

Gita

Hi G-
No who-what thread yet.
Yes ride with me- enjoyed your company!
No have not made plans really of what to bring. Been busy keeping up with other stuff. I do think I'll have variegated liriope to bring. for starters., maybe some houseplants. I will have more running around in August an I just won't be able to get into any seeds. Maybe some packets of seeds from this year saved from the garden.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

SallyG, if you bring liriope, I'd love a little bit. I've been thinking I wanted to propagate some to use as an edger.

It's this, and my dad said he dug a bunch out and put it in a box for me. It stays in neat clumps. got more of that siberian iris too-- have decided I'll enjoy it more in selected sites rather than trying to edge all over with it. Hope that is doing OK for ya.

Thumbnail by sallyg
Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

The liriope is wonderful -- just what I was looking for. Don't you want to edge with it?

Sure, along with a lot of other things! The pic is from my yard and it's big enough to split, and I'll see what he has too. I'm sure I can share.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I edge now with Hosta Ginkgo Craig, but I want some variety. Let me know if you'd like some of that.

I got several of them from you at hart's and they are nice! and doing well, some new growth.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Good! The multiply very reliably. I think they make a very nice edging.

After a few years the edging gets too fat, and I divide it and stretttccchhh is out, and then a few years later the edging gets fat again I divide it and . . .. You get the idea!

This message was edited Jul 11, 2007 5:04 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.