To Devon and Hart

Crozet, VA

Hello Ladies - I forgot which thread a question was asked, so thought I would answer it here. It is regarding the plant that was an extra treat along with the Japanese Maple that I got from Devon. The maroon color is indeed shaped like a "V."

I think that Hart supplied a name of it. Hart please post again here so that I can write down the name.

As for the question that you asked about the "Ben" Day Lily here is what John told me. For those that I haven't already bored to death with talk of how my husband has spent most of this year, here goes. John's parents are in the middle of trying to sell their 400 acre farm and pretty much close their estate. They have been living in a retirement community for several years now.

During their later years they got in to gardening with a vengeance. Their specialty was The Day Lily. During the last year John and his siblings have been going to the farm and gathering as many of the plants as they can. This is quite a feat. Both his parents were Master Gardeners and spent a lot of time attending flower shows all over the east coast. His mom had a small business of selling the day lilies at their local farmers market.

John recently found a list with names of 248 of the different day lilies that they raised. When he first started digging the lilies for transplanting, he didn't bother with tagging them by name. De did eventually start tagging them if he was able to find the names of them.

The "Ben" is one of a set of seven that are called Ben. You have Ben #5 Devon. Devon asked if there might be another name for it because she couldn't find any info on it. When I asked John about it this morning he tells me that it is a hybrid developed by someone who has BEN in their name. The other info on the sheet said that it is a yellow, late season blooming plant that may grow up to 22 inches tall.

Sorry that I don't have more of an answer for you Happy. I hope that it will be happy in your garden.

Ruby

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Ok, thanks for the research! I bet John's parents' estate must have been something to behold!

And Hart was right; the plant with the Chevron is Persicaria Lance Corporal. It has tiny red flowers on long stems -- be sure to cut off the stems unless you want lots and lots of babies. Here it is on the Bluestone site: http://www.bluestoneperennials.com/b/bp/PELCP.html.

Crozet, VA

Hey There Devon - The property at his parents was only nice is a person would love to be standing out in the middle of an open field and looking in the distance at The Blue Ridge Mountain plain in all of it's glory. My son had considered having his wedding there but needed to move up the wedding date and it took place in January which was too cold for outside.

It would also only be nice if a person wanted to look at a couple of acres of day lilies, hostas and a few other sorts of plants. I had never seen a hosta until about 15 years ago when I first met John and he took me home to meet the folks. They took me on a walking tour of their garden that day and I was very, very impressed. I wasn't even in to gardening at that time.

It would only be nice if a person wanted a driveway that was a mile long and brought you to a nearly 400 acres open expanse.

It is only nice to a person who wants to take their fishing pole along for a day of blue gill and bass fishing at the several acre pond that is there.

Thankfully, even with the sale of the property, John's brother has inherited a civil war era farm house and 50 acres. That means that John and I will still be able to enjoy visiting there. The house even has slave quarters in the back and my sis-in-law has found several original spinning wheels that she uses today to work with her wool.

Yeah, very nice place there, I agree.

Ruby

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh Ruby, you make it sound magical. I can't believe they are having a problem selling it! We've wanted to buy some property somewhere, but I'm quite certain we don't have the pocketbook for a 400 acre purchase or we'd be asking for contact information!

Strasburg, VA(Zone 6b)

It does sound gorgeous!

On a side note if you are trying to find more info regarding any daylilies you have with a partial name Tinker's Garden website has a huge day lily database & my understanding is that there is a wild card function in the search...i know i've put partial names in and a list will come up with any containing those letters or words.

Time to go melt away outside :-)

lynda

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the suggestion! Sounds like a very useful site. In this case, I gather it is an unnamed daylily, and "Ben" refers to the breeder. I suppose I could use the site to make a guess as to who the breeder is, at least.

Crozet, VA

Thanks Devon and Lynda. Oh the property is being sold, but just being bought by a real stickler. He keeps holding things up. We are at least a year in to the sale so far.

Shoot Devon, a month or so ago my two sons had about a 7 acre piece of property that adjoins mine for sale. They are under contract now with a lady from California. Buying and selling is never quick. I will describe where I live at some point when I am not in a rush to go outside.

The nearest city to me is Charlottesville which was rated number one top place to live by some magazine two years ago and is a beautiful place to live. Go and see Evan Almighty and you might get some idea of what I see every day. I still haven't been to see that movie. ha-ha

good luck on finding something and someplace that you will love Devon. Have a great day ladies.

Ruby

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.