I've been pruning again

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

And the stream has a leak that nobody can find. That is what that black hose is about..we've bypassed the pipe just to make sure the water lines going to the fountainhead aren't the culprit. The entire basin has been relined and still can't find that leak. That is why if this tree needs moving, or it should not have reverted etc., if it is too old.. basically if I did not get what I thought I was paying for, I'd like to know now when they are here to take care of the leak, so that the nursery can fix what needs to be fixed. Thanks again.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

It hurts me to say that if the leaves aren't variegated then it isn't a Butterfly and I have no idea what it is. The stream is beautiful buy the way. Sorry that it isn't working. Isn't that maddening?

I'd definitely get a refund from the place you bought it if you can and pick a new tree while it's still in leaf. This looks as if it was an expensive tree by the look of it. Let us know what the nursery says. Makes sense to do that before you do any trimming. The white part that you are concerned about may be diseased too. Be sure to include that in your complaint to the nursery.

Wish that I had better news for you. Here's hoping that the nursery will be responsible.

Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

I agree that it is worth contacting the nursery, that sure doesn't look like a butterfly and you should get what you ask for on such a showcase spot. I would keep it and move to another spot as it isn't such a bad looking tree. My Coral Bark has a bit of the same look yours does, lots of branches down low where it was originally pruned to be, and then a longer trunk and new growth at the top. I've left a couple of little side twigs on this year in hopes that they will grow into proper branches in a few years. You won't believe I am saying this ( ;-) ) I think I would leave it alone this year and see what pops out on the trunk in the spring. You may get growth in spots that will balance it out in a few years....or the lower limbs may fill in around the trunk which is what I am hoping my coral bark will do as it ages.

Laura

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

OK - the guys will be back and forth working with the pondless stream anyway. I will give the main guy a heads up on my concerns --then wait it out until the spring. I like the landscape/nursery and they have been great with the stream. I think if there is a problem they will do the right thing (not if it is just a matter of my choice and the fact that I don't like that limb or the way they sited the tree but if there is a problem with it being a butterfly). Thanks for all your help. I saw this tree when it was leafing out..it sure looked like a butterfly - creme/green/pink...and today the pink is gone but the majority of leaves are variegated. Just the top of that awful branch are not. Anyway, I will ask the landscaper when he comes. THANKS so much for the input.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

The awful branch is probably a reversion then. If most of the leaves are white and green it's a natural coloration at this time of year. If you leave a reverted part on a variegated plant that part will take over. There is some discussion that it's because the non-variegated part has more chlorophyll but I wouldn't swear by that. If it is a reversion then it must come out.

I would talk to the nursery about the tree even if most of it is a butterfly because some of it isn't. I know that it must have been a very expensive tree.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.