Pruning a potted meyers lemon

Holly Springs, AR(Zone 7b)

My tree is maybe a year old and about 2 feet high and 2 feet wide. I re potted it in a 5 gallon container about 2 months ago. I don't want to repot it until next Spring when I move it back outside after winter. I am concerned my plant is so healthy that it is going to grow out of it's container too soon. The new leaf growth is insane. Some of the leaves are bigger than my hand. I have one young fruit on it already. If I prune will it allow it to live in its pot for another year? It just seems to keep growing wider and the new limbs and leaves appear way too big for the height and age of this tree.

Any pruning guidance appreciated.

Thanks,
Virginia

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Hmmm, you ARE facing a quandary! Personally, I tend to do very little pruning, but my Meyer is in ground. It does shoot out extra large branches with really big leaves - seems just to be a characteristic of the variety. This article from a commercial source was the most comprehensive I found for potted citrus. Yuska

http://www.fourwindsgrowers.com/growing/containers.html

This message was edited Jul 9, 2007 1:16 PM

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

I don't do much pruning either and my citrus are in pots. Pruning controls the top growth. I don't know that it would do much to control rootball size. It might slow root growth a bit.

One thing to consider: by pruning you would also be limiting the fruit crop next year. Citrus trees will only retain the number of fruit they can support. If you do decide to prune, make the cut at the point of origin for the branch. Don't top or leave stubs.

Thank you Yuksa and Betty!

Santa Barbara, CA(Zone 10a)

I also grow citrus in very large terra cotta containers and think it would be absolutely fine for you to continue to prune the plants to keep them small. I prune mine to shape them and find that if they are crowded into a container they are less likely to suffer from overwatering. Just be sure to feed the container-grown citrus regularly with a citrus food as well as a basic osmocote or other timed release. Citrus must have trace minerals to bear fruit well and container-grown plants have less access to the native soil for their minerals. I water more often in the summer heat and I feed mine monthly when they start to bloom and continue watering and feeding through the fruiting season, however, I usually use half to one-fourth of what the package recommends for in-ground citrus.

Just be sure not to prune off any flowers or you will be losing your fruit!

gardenerme, well I pruned away. And I do think the little tree is healthier for it. I appreciate the citrus food suggesstions; I had only been giving it MG time caps, but I will pick up some proper food the next time @HD. THANKS!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.