Is all lost?

Floyd, VA(Zone 6b)

For some reason I thought that datura was perennial. I have a cup of trade seedlings labled "double/triple." They are about 2" tall. Is it even remotely possible for them to bloom before the end of October here in Richmond, VA?

Shenandoah Valley, VA

They're not winter hardy here but you can bring them inside for the winter. You would have to bring them inside before the end of October. I don't imagine if they're only 2 inches tall that you'll see blooms this year.

BTW, there's a brugmansias and daturas forum where you could get a much more specific answer on when they will bloom.

This message was edited Jul 6, 2007 7:10 PM

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Gloria: The white variety of Datura act as perennials in my garden. In fact, I'm still pulling out the seedlings. The plant got HUGE and I finally just yanked it out of my garden. Be careful what you wish for.... I don't know if the yellow & purple (doubles & triples) are winter hardy here, but there's one way of finding out....try it!

Brugs are definitely NOT hardy in our growing zone. Bummer! I wish I could grow them outdoors in my garden! They are so much happier growing in our heat & humidity. No problems with spider mites or aphids like when you've got to over winter them indoors! I ditched so many Brugs because I got so tired of dragging them in and out of my house. However, I did keep a few.....this is a picture of "Mango Crush" x "L'amour" that I grew from seed.

Thumbnail by Shirley1md
Crozet, VA

Wonderful flower you have there Shirley. Isn't growing something by seed a lot of fun? I did some beautiful Coleus recently. My husband took the remainder of the pot of them to my sister in law yesterday. They were really, really pretty. I didn't have much luck with any other seeds this year, other than Zinnias. Funny story about my Zinnias.

Last year a lady from another group that I was associated with sent me loads of her seeds in order to get me started. The Zinnias that I planted last year must have been between 3 and 4 feet tall with some pretty good sized blooms on them. This year I bought them in seed packets at the store. When I planted them I put them at the very back of one of my beds. I was thinking they would be a good back drop for some shorter flowers that I would plant in front of them. ha-ha

Yes, we are slowly getting to the point of story. Turns out that I purchased a mini or petite type this year. Ha-ha. They are only about a foot tall. The had just begun blooming this week when the Japanese Beetles decided to begin some destruction. So, here sits my short and white powder covered Zinnias. What a disappointment.

I will be watering them later this morning and that will wash the powder off and they will be pretty again. I learned another thing this summer too. I learned that some of the seeds that I started in direct sun, didn't do much at all. Next year I will either start inside or know to put the seedlings in a less sunny location.

Have a good day all.

Ruby

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.