Lavender Propagation

Boise, ID(Zone 6b)

I would like to know the best way to start lavender from a cutting.

Thank you!

Santa Cruz, CA(Zone 9b)

I would really like to know also : )

Selinsgrove, PA(Zone 5b)

I want to try to propagate lavender, too. I found this and I'm going to try doing it.

http://www.taunton.com/finegardening/pages/g00006.asp

DEMinPA

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Short of dividing a large plant (I'm making guesses here, not experiences) I assume you could take a woody cutting as you do with others. I also see seed for sale fairly regularly.

Santa Cruz, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks for the response. I've read that alot of lavender hybrids don't come true from seed. There are alot around the neighborhood that are beautiful, and all slightly different so cuttings would be good I think. I haven't been able to find them in the nurseries. I also think I heard someone say something about woody cuttings with a heel? Do the roots sprout from the heel? Has anyone ever done this successfully?

Woody cuttings with a heel - does that mean a piece that contains some root, like dividing, or something I've missed (not unlikely!)?

You might want to order a small plant or two from a good on-line source. I had great luck with High Country Gardens, out of Santa Fe, NM. Really well packed.

Greenville, WI

Lavender is difficult to start from seed. Divide, or take 4-8 inch stem cuttings spring or fall. I imagine that fresh seeds would be easier to start instead of packaged-??

I have a place near me in Oneida, Wisconsin, Green Acres, that sells Lavender in plugs(and larger sizes) under $1.00. If my memory is correct I get three for just over $1.00.

Doesn't look like they have a website.... what do you charge for packing, lol?

Greenville, WI

Tee Hee!! Pagancat, if you want I will go see what they have left there. I'd be happy to...excuse to buy more...ha ha. I am out of work do to a knee injury and I am going stir crazy. The drive would be good for me. Let me know if you are serious.

Theresa

Sure, why not? For a few bucks, and get you out, it sounds like a deal!

Boise, ID(Zone 6b)

Thanks to all who have participated in this discussion. I have not tried propagation from a cutting yet, but I do plan to. I do not tend to have the best of luck with seeds, so will pass on that option just now. I am primarily a bargain hunter and sale buyer. I have purchased several different lavenders from Mountain Valley Growers this summer and last. I have been very pleased with their quick turnaround time and plant packaging, their great selection, reasonable prices and finally, the plant quality, which has been superb. Once I get the little guys, I mix soil and nutrients so I can transplant them into larger containers, (in the case of Mountain Valley lavenders I ordered 3" pots). I nurse them through the summer, (with a lot of help from my hubby watering throughout the hot summer months). By fall I have large season-hardy plants to move out of the pots and into the yard. I have had great success with many different plants doing this, including my lavenders.

In a few months I will try growing from cuttings, but just now I am too busy with the yard to do so!

Here is the URL for Mountain Valley Growers:
http://www.mountainvalleygrowers.com/Lavender.htm

Richmond, VA

patty,

I have had success with lavender cuttings. I choose the soft wood stems, strip the leaves off about two inches. Insert the stems in moist potting soil, and place in a cool spot. If you can find a cool spot. Under a tree would be good. I use light weight 4 " plastic pots and a good quality potting soil. Keep the soil evenly moist and don't let it dry out. Some will not root, but the majority will in about 6 weeks. Let them grow outside until late fall . Repot them in a little larger pot, and put them in a sheltered place, greenhouse, or a sunny window.

Boise, ID(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Arias. I will take a few cuttings this week and follow your instructions. I have Grosso, White Grosso, Hidcote, Munstead and Edelweiss, and I think that is it. I will try at least one of each. It does make sense to get the cuttings started before winter, so thanks for pointing that out. I will post my results. I can only imagine how many lavenders I will 'create' once I do figure out how to do it!

Boise, ID(Zone 6b)

Thanks to DEM, also, for your contribution to this thread. Have you tried this method yet? If so, have you had any sucess? I would be interested to know. I don't have any rooting hormone, and would like to know if you have good luck before I buy any.

Here is the propagation info from the link DEM provided:
"The best method for propagating lavender is to take 2- to 4-inch-long semi-ripe stem cuttings in summer. Semi-ripe stems are still pliable, but will snap when bent. Remove the leaves from the bottom of the cutting, dip the end into rooting hormone, and place it into damp soilless mix. Since lavenders are susceptible to disease in humid conditions, keep the cuttings in a well-ventilated area until they have rooted. After a few weeks, cuttings that have grown roots can be potted up. These plants can be transferred into the garden in fall. Lavenders can also be grown from seed, but cultivars never come true."

Rock Hill, SC(Zone 7b)

Patty,

I have had good luck with lavender cuttings using rooting hormone. I have munstead lavender as that seems to do very well here. I cut a green stem not a woody stem. Keep them moist and you should have a good result.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.