hardy hart's tongue fern

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

bonitin
sorry i dont know,wish i did lol well if you send now would that be good? i need to find info on how to germinate them thxs again and plmk what to send you and thxs

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

I'd send as they are; on receipt, dust them onto a tray of sterilised wet compost. Keep the tray constantly moist for a couple of months (stretch a sheet of plastic film over the top to keep moisture in), in bright indirect light (not in direct sun). Gradually a cover of small green liverwort-like 'sporelings' (tech word: prothallus, plural prothalli) will appear. Some time later, small adult ferns will start to grow from the prothalli. When they do, they can be teased gently out of the tray and potted up individually.

Resin

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Thank you Resin! It is so nice to have some knowledgeable people like you to help us out.

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

Resin
thxs for the info,does it matter anbout wht kind of soil i use to plant them in? or pot? i have been reading and some say yes and some say no i would love to knoe if possable a step by step instructions?(i know i know)dubm questions/requests but i have never done this and would love to have the "know how" to have a chance of doing this lol it says that i can pour bowling water on the dirt to sterilize it,is that true? or do you recommend something else? plmk and thxs

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

wow i cant spell today hehehehehhee

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

A coir (coconut fibre) based potting compost is as good as anything. To sterilise, make it fairly moist (not completely soggy) and microwave it for long enough to get it hot; allow it to cool fully before adding the spores! Using boiling water would tend to leave the compost too soggy.

Resin

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

im not sure if i can find that kind of potting soil here,never heard of it
would there be another one i might be able to use thxs

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

I think that any good sowing soil would do Moretz; the most important is that it is sterile like Resin says.

They are on their way to the US and I am very curious if you're going to succeed and would love to see a picture of the babies.

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

i will post if i do succeed ok and thxs so much just trying to get everything straight before they get here

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

bonitin
dmailed you

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.