hardy hart's tongue fern

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

i was wondering if anyone had one for trade?it is suppose to be hardy to my zone 7 maybe even 5, i dont know the botanical name just know it as hardy hart's tongue fern plmk what youre looking for in a trade and thxs
moretz

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

If this is the one you mean then its botanical name is Phyllitis scolopendrium.

Thumbnail by bonitin
hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

that looks like it does anyone have any to trade? plmk and thxs

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

It's a common native where I am, but the USDA wouldn't let plants in from here.

Resin

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

boohoo i wsh they would thxs though for helping

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Hi, moretz

I also cannot help you because of being in Europe, but here is a link to US companies who sell it and perhaps they also ship plants.
http://davesgarden.com/ps/go/1795/

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

yes i have already checked into them and their shipping to me is more then the plant lol so that is why i was trying to trade for some
but thxs so much for looking for me

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Moretz,

Look at this one, so you have a botanical name http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog/Current/Detail/00977.html

Also, you might want to go through the ferns they offer for reference purposes http://www.plantdelights.com/cgi-bin/simplesearch.pl they have a large selection of unusual ferns.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Can I suggest that you ask at the indoor part of the local nursery or ask a florist to find one for you? They are very often sold as terrarium plants or gift plants. That should solve your shipping problem.

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

well in the florist have the bird nest fern but no harts tongue fern,already tried that lol thxs though,and plantdelights dont have the one that is hardy to like 5 or 6 zone,im on the border line of 7a/7b so not sure that that fern would make it here and paying 15.00 for it would really make me mad if it didnt make it, i have bought alot fo stuff from them that didnt make it,i bought the nanacys revenge EE from them last year and the thing didnt even have the cariegation and then didnt even come back like it says it would so i dont want to pay their high prices not knowing if it is going to make it but thxs for letting me know they have one because i didnt know they did just wish it was the one for zones 5 or 6 thxs everyone for trying to help maybe it wasent meant to be lol thxs again

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Do you think you can propagate from spores, moretz ?
A solution would be that I send you a frond with ripe spore capsules in an envelope. Don't know though if that would be allowed by the US.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Bonitin,

If you place a fertile frond in an enveope and let is sit for 2 weeks the spores should drop in the envelope. You can then remove the leaf and send the envelope.

This message was edited Jul 15, 2007 12:10 PM

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

That's a great idea and a perfect solution Dale!

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

Bonitin,
i would love to try the spores never done it before but there is always a first lol thxs so much for offering i would love to and what can i send you for them? plmk
p.s. i heard that if you put the seeds in a regular envie that they would make it to me,my sil said that is how she is getting seeds from australia lol and there as well thxs again and plmk what to send you

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

I'm happy to help you with this Moretz, I know how it is when you desperately have put your mind on a particular plant! I'm off now to check if I have any front with ripe spores. I'll send you a d-mail.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Perhaps you mean the hardier (zone 6) asplenium scolopendrium? You can find it at Fancy Fronds. They also have the very cool Asplenium scolopendrium 'Laceratum Kaye'.
http://www.fancyfronds.com/

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Doss, Asplenium scolopendrium is syn. to Phyllitis scolopendrium. Still another name for the same is Scolopendrium vulgare.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks bonitin. Learn something every day. :-)

Spores ripening July to August - so any time in the next month or so.

Resin

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

oh wow and only 7.00 im going to email them and see how much postage is thxs everyone but would still love to try the spores thxs again

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Just checked and Forest Farm is a better bet. You can get a 1 gallon for 9.00 and the shipping will be less.
http://www.forestfarm.com/search/closeup.asp?PlantID=assc070

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

forestfarm told me that it would be 28.00 yes!!!!!!!! 28.00 to ship the fern to me so that would be 37.00 for this plant WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! i would be better off getting it from plant delights but then dont know if it would make it oh well thxs so much everyone for trying to help me on this but i guess i will just stick with the spores, thxs again everyone!!!!!!!!!!!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Wow. I didn't realize that the shipping would be so much. Sorry.

The Flora of North America has some interesting info on it, including that American plants are a distinct variety Asplenium scolopendrium var. americanum:
http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=1&taxon_id=233500199

It does leave a couple of points though; first, the European distribution is basically zone 8-9, with minimal penetration into zone 7 (from its distribution, var. americanum is hardier, probably zone 5); and second, whether the European variety could have the potential to endanger the (fairly rare) American variety. Not too sure how significant either would be; the different ploidy of the European and American varieties should at least in theory prevent hybridisation.

Which variety Forest Farm and Plant Delights are selling, you'd need to ask them.

Resin

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

doss
you dont have to say sorry,you didnt know and i didnt either that is why i asked before i bought it lol because i have asked other nurseries and they told me the same thing,that is why i want to find someone to trade with just because of the shipping

Resin
im not sure about the ones you mentioned but i think the zone 5-6 one will live here and maybe not but i think it would have abetter chance then the plantdelight one but i am going to try the spores and if it comes true thatis fine and if it dont that is fine lol
when i was in the fern co-op i was hoping to get one as well but they didnt have it but like i said before if i get one thatis fine and if not thatis fine too thxs everyone for helping

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Yesterday I have collected 5 fronds with ripe spore-capsules, but now I'm doubting, because these fronds were made last year. So perhaps the capsules are already empty from spores ? What do you think Resin ? So today I looked again for fronds made this year with ripe spores on them and found a couple. I send a couple of pictures in the hope that someone can confirm that these are indeed ripe.

Thumbnail by bonitin

That does look like it might be last year's. I'll have a look at some around here and see how they're getting on.

Resin

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

The difficulty is that one cannot see these spores with the naked eye, and I have no microscope. They should look like brownish dust.

These pictures are the closest I can take with my camera;

Thumbnail by bonitin
Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

another one;

Thumbnail by bonitin
hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

well fancyfronds.com said it would be 14.00 to ship not includding the plant and also said that they dont like hot humid summers,does anyone else grow them in a hot humid summer area like me? plmk and thxs

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I'd trust Judith at Fancy Fronds. We're dry here of course.

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

well ill do the spores(if there is any goodones) and that way if i loose them because of the heat then i wont loose as much thxs everyone

Waterbury, CT

Hi Moretz,

I bought one last year at White Flower Farm. It did well in zone 5 for me considering it was it's first year. I think my son stepped on it recently as it had broken leaves. It held it's leaves most of the winter. It's a little smaller this year so far, but I think that has to do with being stepped on. It did put out a lot of spore in the fall. If you like I can send you some spore as well as mine must be the northern variety. You just need to remind me in a few months as I'll forget since it's not ready yet. It is one of my favorite plants, I just hope mine comes back to how nice it was last year. I don't know if it would grow in North Carolina.

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

CTMGGardener
ok great thxs so much well i am going to try anyway lol and see wht happens thxs again

Confirm, Bonitin's are last year's fronds. The new (2007) spore crop is still very green and immature:

Thumbnail by Resin
Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

The spores on mine (I have about 10 of them) look much further developed than the ones on your picture, Resin. A few of the latest made fronds on them show that state from your picture, most of them are a stage further and show already the colouring.

like this;

Thumbnail by bonitin
Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

then some of them look like this already; they are definitely not the ones from last year; they look too shiny and new to be old ones.
Hidden under the new foliage these have died off, got brown and a few are still green but dull and shaggy.

Perhaps mine are further developed than yours because of the favorable micro climate they are living in. My garden is completely surrounded by walls and is a paradise for ferns.

Thumbnail by bonitin

Hi Bonitin,

Those certainly look to be new, mature spores. Probably more to do with you're being 4° latitude (= 440km) further south, than any microclimate effect!

Resin

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

I see what you mean Resin! Thanks for the clarification.

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Already after a couple of days in the envelope the fronds have shed a lot of spores, it looks like dark-brown dust. There must already be some thousands of potential ferns in there!

And I wonder if it is wise to wait much longer before I should send them.
Is there not the danger for them to 'dry out'. Does anyone know more about this ?

Thumbnail by bonitin

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.