Chatham Manor

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

This is one of my all-time favorite places, so I thought I would share it with you all. I won't go into all the historical details of the house and grounds... you will find all that here... http://www.nps.gov/archive/frsp/chatham.htm

My hubby, and our girls go here often, to walk the grounds and take photographs. The girls love to chase the bunnies, butterflies and each other around. It is so peaceful, and simply beautiful, no matter what time of the year you go.

I have many, many photos to share, and I won't try to post them all at once. If you are ever in the F'burg area, do stop by and enjoy for yourself. In the mean time, I hope you will enjoy the photos.

Karen

(Hubby and daughter Madelynn nearing the house...)

This message was edited Jul 3, 2007 6:27 PM

Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose

To the left of the main entrance. My daughter Jena telling me about the butterflies!

Part of Mrs. Lacy's original rose garden, to the right of the main entrance.

One of two wisteria arbors, near the front of the house.

The grape vine lane, leading to the old stables.

The summer house, and koi pond.

Iris... from late May.

Loved this smoky rose...

Another rose... a climber.

Greenhouse... circa 1900.

And the second one, built in 1935.

Isn't it a shame that they are not used? What I wouldn't give...

The vegetable trenches... this is the first year they are actually growing something in them, since I've been going up there.

More to follow! Hope I'm not boring anyone...

Karen

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Dynamite link, & if we ever get any time will definitely check out the historic site (done your web link but it is always better to walk the grounds).

Have no idea when I will get very far from here (trapped like an animal right now).

Dyson... thanks for looking. Please enjoy it through my lens if you will!

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

I do enjoy, through your camera, however after growing up in Yorktown and walking the battlefields many times over as I grew up it is not the same an experience as a visit.

The sites where our forefathers, (and mothers) just strike a chord, like china-glass, the history sorta breaths to you.

Sorry if I am not making any sense right now. I am sure that if I review this post later, it will not make sense to me either.

Thank you for the photographs and Fredericksburg will go on the "too do" list!

No need to be sorry... I do understand. There is so much history right here in Fredericksburg. You really can "feel" it in your bones, when you walk in the places where others walked, fought and died.

I hope you will get the opportunity some day soon, to visit "the most haunted city in America".

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

I "grew-up" in Yorktown, Va., Dearborn Mi. etc, and have an interest in history (if you do not know where you are are from how do you know where you are going to go?).

Some of the sites on food preservation as it was done years ago are pretty good.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Thanks for sharing these photos with us, Karen. Beautiful place.

Crozet, VA

Great thread you have here Miss Karen. Thank you for thinking to share with us. I live nearby several historical places too. Most of the places I haven't revisited since first going during 4th grade history class. I am afraid to count back and see how many years ago that was. ha-ha

Have a good week everyone.

Ruby

Thanks Ruby, Diane. I'll add more photos soon... maybe this evening if I'm not too tired.

Karen

Thought I'd add some more photos this evening...

Lovely yellow daylily...

Painted Lady on Coneflower...

Bumblebee on lilac...

(Can't seem to find the ones I wanted to post... aahh well! More later!)

Good evening to all...

Karen

Crozet, VA

Oh these were really good too Karen. You have a good eye.

Ruby

Thank you Ruby... actually, those last three... my hubby took!

8^)

Crozet, VA

Oh well, tell him that HE has a good eye. ha-ha Love it. You could have taken the credit and no one would be any the wiser.

Ruby

Fredericksburg, VA

OOOO Yea this is a wonderfull garden. Well maintained and the rose beds are fantastic too.

Yes it is!!! My family and I love it up there. We usually go late in the evening, when no one is around. My daughters love to chase rabbits and butterflies, and they always pretend we live there... honestly, I like to pretend right along with them! I would love to have that place all to myself!

We also release the monarch butterflies we raise from cats up there too.

Karen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.