It's 4AM

Newport News, VA(Zone 11)

Night Owl Thread
Being up at this hour of the day usually means I can't sleep for various reasons or haven't gotten to bed yet for various reasons. I know I'm not the only one awake at this hour but it feels like it.

It has its advantages.
Its quiet for a change
I can think about things with no distractions
If I stay up long enough I can watch the sun rise

It has its disadvantages

Its too dark to work in the garden
There's nothing on TV

This morning the things on my mind:
Why always 4AM?

Why my house guests keep saying " ALL those coleus!" Don't they get it?

Why doesn't coleus grow from a bulb so I can just dig them up or mulch them over and replant them in the spring?

Why the coleus I really love are the ones I have the most problems with, and the ones I ignore grow the best?

Anyway feel free to add your early morning musings to this thread.
Good night.

Thumbnail by jadajoy
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

You will need a nap later.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Stockholm, Sweden

Adding:
- why do snails most often eat from the top leaves so the coleus plant looks ugly? What's wrong with underleaves?
- why do early mealy bugs look like the start of new branches.... so you don't recognize the problem before it gets serious?
- why do the deers only eat plants I've PAID for? How do they know? - (yes, the price tags are removed from the plants)
- why do I always forget to water a few plants when I thought I'd watered them all?
- why do house guest keep asking "why aren't there any BLUE colored coleus in your garden?"

- why do I loooove coleus so much?
- why do I want more?

Answer to the last question: because they make me happy.....lol
- - - the other questions: I have no clue, have you?

Alice

Thumbnail by alice_sunn

Very Good questions Alice!

"why do the deers only eat plants I've PAID for? How do they know? - (yes, the price tags are removed from the plants)"

LOL!

Looking for a blue coleus.......

Almere, Netherlands

The snails here only eat half of the base of the stems just above the soil. Just enough to make the plant snap. The leaves are intact, but if it is an improvement...
If the plants are too big for snails, we still have the cats.. And if they are too big for the cats, well, then I am happy because we don't have any deers LOL
The story about Fishnet Stockings: the first one I got from Allice was killed by a snail. The second one was also attacked by a snail (the only one in the whole greenhouse..) but the bare stem made it. After keeping it a few months in the greenhouse untill it was fully recovered, I put it outside. A nice plant, quite big. Within one day it was again a bold stem: our cats jumped on it. But now I have lots of cuttings LOL. Our cats got away with it, how do they do that? They just look at you with those pretty eyes and give you a hug.. and you forgive them.The snails never get away with such things though..

Thumbnail by waddink
Stockholm, Sweden

Wouter,
funny! I hope the best for your injured Fishnet Stocking, some creatures are just born with bad luck, I guess...

And YES, since I've met both your cats I understand perfectly how they can get away with being naughty ....... they are soooooo charming!

Well, hug and tell your furred pets that I ask them politely to stay away from your poor Fishnet Stocking!!!! Tell the snails the same thing, but don't hug them from me....lol.
Alice

Thumbnail by alice_sunn
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I hope you took your nap.

Yes, I did! I wound up sleeping late, much to the chagrin of my company, but I made it up to them by taking them to dinner. A nice fish dinner which, you know the old saying:
After three days fish and company start to.............

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

LOL, I agree. Joyce
;)

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Ick to both! LOL

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I always stay in a hotel by the beach. I want to remain friends with my friends.

I am tired of coleus photos, how about an African Foxglove.....

I have to say, I 've known them for 20 years and love them dearly........just need my space back. One more day.......sigh.

Thumbnail by jadajoy

Dale,
I should of thought of that! Them in my house , me in a hotel by the beach. lol

I love that lilac color. Is that a bulb?

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Joy,

African foxglove, summer annual for you, from seed, very easy, blooms for weeks, details here> http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/108131/ and here http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/897/

You have the nicest colors of coleus (read envy into that thought).

Mmmmmm, coleus cuttings

Good Morning.

Thumbnail by jadajoy
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Hot, steamy Good Morning.

Think Iced coffee, cool melon and cold berries.

Have a good day!

Thumbnail by jadajoy
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Thinking air conditioning, trips to the North Pole and glaciers.

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

jadajoy, I have that same purple coleus. It has been in the same planter since early this spring, the weird thing I don't think it has grown an inch. I was very small when I purchased it and it is still very small. Is there something about this coleus I don't know about?

Happ
Are you talking about #3686478? If so, I think its the coleus breed. I have bought that coleus three times since spring because it keeps dying. I love the colors and get suckered everytime I see it. But it is not hardy or just doesnt like it at my house. If yours is still living I think your doing good!

You might want to take it out the pot and see if its pot bound and give it a bigger pot or better soil. Let me know what happens, case I get weak and buy it again.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

It is 3:28 AM

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Your wasting time sleeping.

"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time." B.R.

Thumbnail by jadajoy
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

B.R. - is that Brier Rabbit?

jadajoy, I was talking about the very first post and the purple coleus. I know mine is not pot bound, could the pot be too big? It is such a stunning color, but it sure hasn't grown. I thought maybe it was a minature or something. I have it in with swedish ivy and the ivy has grown but nothing out of little purple.

Joyce

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Joyce what is this pink flower? dahlia???? It's pretty!!

http://davesgarden.com/forums/p.php?pid=3717970

Patty

Dale,
I dont think Bertand Russell wrote children's stories, but, the rabbi said 767 is not too old to read comic books or fairy tales :-).

Joyce
That coleus is Haynes/Haines. I am not an expert. This is my first year as a coleus addict :-). It grows well and tall, like a Perilla. I only know that some coleus do not like being crowded and some are thugs and take over . The ivy roots might be choking it. I've seen it used in the landscape and it grows big! Have you pinched it? Can you post a pic? Maybe the experts here can spot the problem.

Patty
Thanks! I planted that Dahlila last fall and forgot about it. It surprised me this summer.

Joyce

Thumbnail by jadajoy

LOL...I was a little confused there are two Joyce's on here.....thought I had lost it for sure...I will post a picture of my minnie purple coleus this weekend, too dark now. I just got into coleus this year also, I have managed to purchase alot of them in a very short time. LOL

The other Joyce LOL...

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Darn, I missed 4AM on the nose, I was writing Alice a short note, two minutes late.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

It is Friday the 13th, that explains it.

Forgot today was Friday the thirteenth. Hope there arent too many upsets today.

Is it too late to sow coleus seeds outdoors for another batch?

Is someone doing a coleus co-op? I know a good place to order.

Alice...I found a picture of a blue coleus.

Need coffee but trying not to drink it anymore. Need substitute.

Pulled weeds yesterday, been itchy every since.

Why dont they make a hanging basket bigger than 12 inches?

Lost my Swiss Sunshine trailer to stem rot. GRRR.

Got my first Brug sprout from seed. Yeah.

Thumbnail by jadajoy
Stockholm, Sweden

THANKS!
If you found a photo of a blue coleus please show it here.... I'm curious !!! lol
Alice

Thumbnail by alice_sunn

alice
I found it on Flickr.com. Probably altered, but lots of coleus pics there. I'll go back there to find it again later.

Is it 4am or 4pm for you?

Love the Bronze Pagoda!

Stockholm, Sweden

Here the time is 11:50 AM for the moment, soon noon and lunch time.
yippi

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

dale--love the RED coleus picture--combo of coleus is nice too. Is that Defiant in the top right corner or something else???

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

To all Coleusholic good morning, its been a tough week in Raleigh for me. Hope all is well with everyone else.
DH hhad surgery yesterday and is about to put me over the edge.
Couldn't get him to eat this AM took his medicine and can't understand why he has stomach burn,

I'm going out and plook at my plants.
Am getting a new computer so I will be able to post pictures again soon. I too want to see the blue coleus and if tomorrow is not a bad day I am going to shop for more coleus.

Talk to you all soon.

Lavina

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Patty, Stella Red.

LavinaMae,
Hope your husband is feeling better soon! Not trying to be rude, but what is 'plook"?
If plants listen to your troubles, I'm going out to plook too!

Dale--that "mint coleus" ( I know it has a cultivar name but I call it mint) is really good looking in the garden. Looks like it spreads fast and makes the reds pop. Think I'll put mine out there too. Thanks for a good idea!

Will post the blue coleus soon as I find it again..........

Thumbnail by jadajoy
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Joy it is Dappled Apple. Sorry I slept in this morning so I didn't get to post here before 4AM.

I am stiff from spending the day in the truck. It is about 3.5 hrs (one way) to J-ville from Tamlando.

Dale

You must be tired!!!! Hope you had fun. Find any coleus?
I havent been to bed yet. About to keel over.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.