Daylilys in pots: good or bad ?

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

I just planted all of my daylilys in pots...and then read where it's not advisable. I realize the grow fast and will have to be transplanted in a year but other than that I can't see why you can't. Anyone here doing this ?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

dablaw, who grows DLs professionally, has posted about growing and overwintering DLs in pots with no problem. Unless there's something about your warm climate that I'm not taking into account, I don't see a problem, but you might want to pose the question over on the DL forum. Where did you read that growing DLs in containers was a bad thing?

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

A nursery selling daylilys, can't remember which one, but states they don't recommend it, but it didn't state why. I'll have to go back and see if I can find it again, and maybe send them an e-mail and ask why. I'll check over at the DL forum also and see what I can find out.
Thanks Critterologist.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I've got a bunch of DL seedlings that I'm planning to put into trade gallon pots for the summer (they'll get more TLC in pots in a sheltered location than they would if I planted them out since I don't have a seedling bed). I'm hoping to get most of them planted out this fall, but I think if some of them end up spending the winter in those pots (or get up-potted for the winter) they'll do fine that way also.

Good luck with your DLs!

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

I pot then only as a temp. measure.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I'm thinking of doing it with some recent arrivals. Too many do not end up being anything like online photos and I'm tired of planting and then digging up because they're not the colors portrayed.

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

Might be a good idea pirl. I kept my smaller ones in pots and planted the bigger ones, both seem to be growing with no problems. I'm not worrying about what colors mine are just wish they would hurry up and grow (lol).

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

I hope container growing for daylilies is OK as I just recieved three earthboxes that I ordered specifically for daylilies. I have had excellent results growing "anything" in EBs? Sure hope they grow? I ordered the EBs so I can divide them when the time is right. It is much easier than planting them in the ground as it would give me far better control when digging them out. Also my disability makes it difficult for me to garden other than in containers. What do ya'll think? Containers OK?

This message was edited Jul 20, 2007 6:49 PM

These are earthboxes for those of you that are not familiar. www.earthbox.com

Thumbnail by Tplant

I'm just confused about "bulbs". What bulbs are you referring to? Lilies (Lilium) have bulbs but daylilies have fleshy roots. Which will you be growing in the EB's?

Sorry pirl! I meant to say "Bareroot."

Yes, I think you'll be fine - superb in fact. Good luck. I can see the ease of transplanting as a big issue!

Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

In the colder climates it is suggested that you put the pot on its side, because of the freeze/thaw cycles.

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

I just some DLs and I stuck them in a pot. But I'm just try to rehab them cuz they didn't arrive in such good shape.. So far most have perked up cept for one. And when they get going a bit more, I'm gonna plant them out..

If it's as hot up in Pawling as it is down here may I suggest you wait until around Labor Day, Icosden? The poor things I just planted are trying their best to form roots and have to fight with this heat. I think they have a rougher time in mid-summer than any other time of year.

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

Pirl, a bit late for that one.. I already planted half of them.. The ones that arrived in not such good shape are being put in a pot with some shade. I just have the sprinkler running twice a day to try to compensate for the heat. I did notice that the planted ones are responding as nicely as the ones I stuck in the pot under some shade.. Not sure if I want to move them again.. Think all that movement wouldn't be good for the poor little things..

If you have an old beach umbrella it might help them. Check thrift shops, too.

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

Pirl, you funny. A beach umbrella, even if we didn't live in a wind tunnel which we do, I think my neighbor would have something to say about that.. For peet sake, they wanted to dictate our house color.. I can just imagine sticking out a beach umbrella there.. :) loll..

And I'm not kidding about the wind tunnel bit too. It blew my cold frame to smitherines... So, don't think a beach umbrella would work.. :)

I've recently purchased a whole slew of DLs and wanted to grow them in something temporarily until their new bed is ready. Since there were so many (100+) I've opted for kiddie pools filled with soil. So far they're doing really well!

Thumbnail by

Okay, Icosden, I tried! Individual umbrella hats would be off limits I guess?

dstartz - neat!

Thumbnail by pirl
Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

Pirl.. LOL... Nice picture there.. LOLL... Don't think ones that small would have helped etiher..

Well then all I can do is send my best wishes. Good luck.

Ffld County, CT(Zone 6b)

Gee, I've been growing daylilies in pots for years. I guess no one ever told me (or them, lol!) that they weren't supposed to like it there!

Great photo, Pirl. I could use one of those hats, what with the heat we've been having here. Is that your patio? It looks beautiful.

:)
Dee

Thumbnail by DiggerDee
Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

Dunno about the hat helping with the heat.. I'm wondering if it helps with the scattered showers.. Last weekend, we couldn't even shower at a decent time with the thunderstorm rolling in one after another.. As soon as I go out to garden, it start raining.. I could have use one of those this past weekend.. loll..

Dee: how do you hold them over winter? In the garage? Protected outside? Clay pots?
Thanks for the compliment.

When it gets hot enough to wear the umbrella hat I come inside. This heat wave should be over tomorrow night, thankfully.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

pirl: pink slippers, now the hat. You ARE a garden fashionista!

This message was edited Aug 3, 2007 10:30 AM

Ffld County, CT(Zone 6b)

Pirl, I overwinter the pots in my unheated garage. Most of my pots are plastic or that foam (which looks great but is very fragile and difficult to deal with, IMO). And the daylilies are pretty tough, so I don't think I've ever lost one during the winter. My worst problem is squirrels getting into the garage and digging up the pots. Grrr.

I divide my potted daylilies every two years or so. Granted, they don't get anywhere as big as in the ground, but that's okay for now. Eventually they will all go in the ground, but who knows exactly when "eventually" will be? It's been years for some of them, and as I keep buying new ones, eventually stretches out even further, lol!

Dee

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

Do we need to overwinter them inside?? I thought they can stay outside full time..??

Thanks, Dee. I don't like those imitation foarm type pots either. Just when you think you have a good grasp the edge breaks off - so annoying. Try cayenne pepper for the soil at the top of the plants in the garage. Squirrels eat with their paws and the hot pepper has the same effect on them as it does with many sensitive people.

Icosden - in winter the temperature of the soil in a potted plant will be the same as the outdoor temperature. I'd certainly garage anything I loved in the line of potted plants.

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

Good to know.. But the stuff planted directly in the ground outside don't have to be dug up for the winter do they? Most stuff I got are all hardy to zone4 or zone5...

No! Don't dig up any daylilies to bring them in the garage but keep any that are potted inside and safe from the constant freezing and thawing.

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

Got it.. Was confused for a sec.. :)

I'm glad it's clear now.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Obviously I am a minority here but I love the foam pots. They are ugly in my opinion, especially after they get a few years on them, but in my climate they keep the soil cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. Also, they are so lightweight I can move the 20" ones myself.

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

Are you guys all referring to the fake terra cotta stuff? Cuz I love those. I punch hole on the bottome and put in a ton crystal polymers for moisture retention. Oh, I also use the leftover styrofoam peanuts on the bottom for drainage. Guess the styrofoam peanuts also reduces weights since there's less soil. But I've never had problems with my pots. In fact my terra cotta stuff gets like super hot to the point that when it's super hot out, I put ice cubes on top of the pots to cool it down a bit. I stopped getting terra cotta cuz I'm convinced now that it'll roast the plant roots..

Ffld County, CT(Zone 6b)

Well, it depends what you mean by "fake terra cotta stuff" lol. There are also plastic and fiberglass that are made to look like terra cotta. The foam is a heavy, molded foam. Most of the pots I've seen made out of it are gorgeous. They look great when they are new and unused. But...

As pirl says, you go to pick one up and the edge breaks off in your hand. Or God forbid you stick your trowel in at the wrong angle, and bingo! You've got a nice gouge. So I tend to stick with the resin, plastic or fiberglass ones. They are more durable, if not as nice-looking.

Dee

Agreed, Dee.

Then there's the gorgeous but not durable terra cotta, not fired hot enough, and you can generally find them in heaps or boxes at nurseries. They'll let you have them for free if they're not returning them for credit. Works nicely to shade clematis roots from the heat of the sun, or as toad houses, etc.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

It is pouring down rain here today (yippee) or I would go out and take some photos of my foam pots. I got most of them from Tuesday Morning probably 5 years ago or more. The only time I have had a problem with one breaking is when a raccoon threw a big one off my deck and it did break. You must be Superwoman Pirl to break them so easily. I move mine all the time up and down stairs and into the garden when I go away for more than a day or so. I was just wondering if there is any type of paint that I could spray them with and cover up the ugly spots where the original color has chipped off.

Sounds like a good cool weather job to try out. Your local paint dealer could probably tell you the right paint to use.

Pawling, NY(Zone 5b)

I have no idea if I have foam, plastic or fiberglass. It does look like heavy stone just really really light. I never had problems with it. Guess using styrofoam peanuts on the bottom helps..

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.