Had to join the "New Project" club

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

As I may have mentioned in a few posts I wanted a privacy fence between the neighbors and my yard. Not much room between houses. The work has been started. Thought I post some before pictures.

I had left the mock orange and false bamboo grow up for privacy. What a jungle!

Thumbnail by ladygardener1

another

One taken looking behind the garage

Standing (Edited to say Laying) ha ha! in front yard, Fence will run from the tree to the just behind the garage and then a wooded picket to the end of the property.

I'll have a white vinyl picket with gate running across the front yard to the corner of the house.

This message was edited Jun 26, 2007 9:35 AM

Oops! Forgot to turn picture.

Posts are set in. A lot of trimming and digging was done. We havd reclaimed a nice chunk of land too.

another.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Nice! You did reclaim some space... in the "before" photo, it looked like your hedge was about to eat your pretty pond. Sometimes fences close off spaces, but I think yours is going to make for a more open feeling.

Looking forward to more photos... :-)

There was just room enough to walk and even then I was getting attacked by bushes. Now there is room to plant a strip if well behave plants and a grass path.

The guy doing the work for us got 4 panels up today, hoping for more tomorrow.

I'll try to get some more pictures in am.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I'm sure you will love it. It does feel satisfying to buckle down and rip out overgrown stuff. Just hard work!!! I have to get on my annual forsythia hacking, with grapevine accents this year, and neighbor's VA creeper is just too much of a native good thing these days.
Looking forward to the 'after' pond pic

Alexandria, VA(Zone 7b)

I bet you'll love having the fence there, & the opportunity to plant in front of it. Good fences sometimes make good neighbors, we have a 6' privacy fence (theirs, because of the pool) on one neighbors' side & a 4' split rail w/ wire (that they let us put up because of our dog) that is our other neighbor's. I have some really nice plantings along that side, & they've let me know that they like to see what I'm doing. It's the north side & shaded by trees, but it's still very pretty-my neighbor's yard is beautiful & beside their yard is the pedestrian path to the park-I get to see all the joggers & dogwalkers...

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Chris, I'm looking forward to the next set of pics. Looks like a big project, cleaning out the old and putting in the new. It's nice to have some control over your view. We have very nice neighbors with a pretty messy property. (Not that I don't have some messy spots around my barn.) We let the weeds and junk grow along the one side of the old pasture to hide the worst of their place. Last year in preparation of planting trees, we cut it all back to the property line. I was really surprised we cut back 8 ft. We planted Leland Cypress it will only take a little while for those to provide some good screening.

White fence is up! Have to add some top soil and do some grading at the bottom, property slopes down to the northwest corner of the property.

I have to get one post top yet, next to the gate.

View looking at the watergarden

New place for flowers and a lawn-mower width of grass.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Lovely! That fence looks so clean and fresh... it's a wonderful backdrop, setting off your beautiful plantings! You'll have fun putting some flowers along it too... are you thinking of doing a few climbers like clematis?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Wow what a big difference. Chris looks great and more planting space too. Really adds a nice look to your garden.

Crozet, VA

I have to agree with the others. It is absolutely gorgeous. You have a really lovely place Chris. Thanks for sharing.

Ruby

Thanks everyone! I am very happy with it. I sat outside last night and it was so much lighter out there.
I might do a clematis, but in the back where the wooden picket fence goes, I want some Blaze Climbing Roses.

I want to work on the front corner first but have to wait for the soil. It is way to dry to start planting. Right now I am busy watering what I have. New plantings would have a hard time getting established.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

agreed, nice and bright and fresh. I can already see the climbing roses on it. Great backdrop for more photos to post!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.