tree casualty!

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

i was planting irises in my front courtyard when i heard this popping and splitting sound. little did i know it was half of my neighbor's bradford pear splitting off and over! the tree's root system is on her property, but my home had the benefit of the shade from it's large branches (15-20 year old tree). now that half of it's gone (tree doctor's diagnosis: too dry, couldn't support branches anymore), the front yard looks decidedly lopsided. the rest of the tree is being cut down soon. my neighbor and i are working together on this new "project." any ideas to save it? if i can't, how about what to plant instead (south facing)? if the tree has to go, is it possible we might use the trunk for anything (hollowing it out & planting in it, perhaps?)

help!

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Bradford pears are known for splitting when they have the "V" crotch!! Always best to get the ones with the single trunk! Planting in the remaining half of the tree sounds good. Or how about leaving it alone and not cut it down then you could use it as a pillar for a climbing rose or other plant.

Brooklet, GA(Zone 8a)

louisa's idea sounds good. if the tree lives in a few years it may reshape some and not look so bad. i hate to destroy any living plant.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.