Who loves Rudbeckias!

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

betty, wintersowing is lots of fun. You can read about it on the wintersowing forum. Besure to read the 'sticky' posts and links for a basic understanding. It's easy and fun.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/f/coldsow/all/

The problem with wintersowing is getting excited and doing too much and having too many seedlings to plant out.

Louisville, KY(Zone 6b)

Hi Tabasco,

Thanks for the information about wintersowing. I am still learning how to use the many aspects of DG website.

I was up late last evening reading about your recent trip to Ky.--very interesting. Your replies and threads are helpful. I woke up this morning and was very sad at first. One of my Zowie Zinnas had broken to the ground, because of the winds and rain last night. I just had not gotten around to staking that one. I decided to cut all the flowers off--about 10 and give them to my neighbor's Mom who turns 100 years old tomorrow. She had been living alone and in good health until a few months ago and now she is in a nursing home. I also gave her 2 bouquets of roses, which are finally starting to take off, after 5 days of hard freezes last April and the worst season I have ever seen for JB. I must have drowned at least a hundred.

I stuck a few cuttings from my Million Bells petunias into two pots and am trying to root them for fun. 5 days later and they are doing well so far.

Thumbnail by BettyFB

thanks, Betty. I will be watching for updates on your 'propagtion projects' on the forums.

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

rudbeckia self-seeded

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

more self-seeders...check out the all yellow one

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

close up ...

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

very close up

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

another varient

Thumbnail by jmorth
South/Central, FL(Zone 9a)

Very nice, jmorth. : ) I need to invest in some seeds and plants. Those are very pretty.
~Lucy

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Jmorth -- very noce! What did they reseed from? (I know Rudebeckia - I mean which one?)

Suzy

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Contributors to the gene pool: ChimChiminee, Cherokee Sunset, Green Eyes, & Maya. Heaviest presence the first two.

Thumbnail by jmorth

Wow! That's awesome! How did they get perfectly spaced like that? And none of them really look much alike, either. How did you do that?

Did you collect seed and then plant it in the spring? Or are they perennial? I get very confused with these things and whether they come back or not. Are they annual or perennia or short lived perennial? LOL! Or do you know? Will an annual cross with a perennial to make a "sort of perennial"? Salvia is another one that just has me shaking my head in bewilderment.

Suzy

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

The pictured Rudbeckias form the northeast corner of the garden. Rudbeckias have been present in that trac for several years now. I think most of the ones pictured are self seeded Rudbeckias though it's possible one or two are survivors from last year. The spacing is resultant of where they just happen to be; if there were an over-abundance of plants there they probably were thinned in late spring. In the fall, most of the seed heads will remain in situ, to allow the seed to be disseminated naturally.

Thumbnail by jmorth
Louisville, KY(Zone 6b)

jmorth,

All those pictures of Rudbeckia that are self-seeded are lovely!!!!!!!!! I think I like the first one the best and that looks like it came from Cherokee Sunset. I have got to plant seeds next year so I will get some self-seeded ones as beautiful as yours. Rudbeckias are truly one of my favorites , but I have only grown Indian Summer and Black-Eyed Susan. I will look at those pictures again in the middle of winter to be encouraged for Spring of next year!!!!

jmorth, your ruds are wonderful self-seeders. You must have the perfect climate for them. My luck with self-seeder rudbeckias is minimal--I think they tend to rot and freeze out. Maybe I will try the varieties you have used and change my luck for next year!

Piqua, OH(Zone 6a)

Here is a collage of my rudbekias. I hope it shows up okay.

Thumbnail by buckimom
Louisville, KY(Zone 6b)

buckimom,

Could you post some of them separately, so I can see them better close up? They are lovely, and I love Rudbeckias.

Those are beautiful, buckimom. : )

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

and, my other rudbeckia:

Thumbnail by jmorth
Louisville, KY(Zone 6b)

jmorth,

The Rudbeckias are so lovely with the asters!!!!!

Piqua, OH(Zone 6a)

Dear Betty FB
I am sorry that it has taken me so long to get back. After Mass yesterday my hubby and I went to Andy's Garden and I got a Joe Pye weed, a white phlox (David) and 2 lavendar plants. I love the look of the lavendar with the rudbekia. I am so excited! No planting on Sunday but tonight some more hosta get relocated and then the newbies go in the ground. LOL Here are a few individual pictures hope you enjoy them.

Thumbnail by buckimom
Piqua, OH(Zone 6a)

more

Thumbnail by buckimom
Piqua, OH(Zone 6a)

last one

Thumbnail by buckimom
Kerhonkson, NY(Zone 5a)

Becky:

Here's what (I think) reseeded from the Cherokee Sunset -- looks mum-like and I have no mums! I have two more seedlings that haven't bloomed yet -- can't wait to see what they look like ...

Thumbnail by crockny
Louisville, KY(Zone 6b)

Buckimom,

Thanks for the close-up shots of your gardens. I enjoyed the tour and your flowers are lush and beautiful!!! Such an inviting environment!!!! The lavender with the Rudbeckia is a winning combination. And I love David Phlox. A neighbor gave me a sprig last Fall and it has really taken off. I am deadheading it so it will bloom several more times before Frost.

Thumbnail by BettyFB

Gorgeous photos peeps!

Crock, Youought to sell that seed back to T&M as a brand new cultivar -- goregous and unusual, too.

Betty, You must have a green hand, not just the thumb -- that David looks like its been there 3 or 4 years!

Buck's mom - nice pictures -- healthy and prolific! and jmoth, gorgeous as usual. love the asters -- nice size.

Suzy

Louisville, KY(Zone 6b)

Illoquin,

My mistake---that phlox is 2 small plants the neighbor gave me last Fall. I brought her to my yard to see it in full bloom just last week and she could not believe it. I have very good soil in that one bed it is growing in but the other phlox in that bed have not taken off like this one. Here is the picture I took last week.

Thumbnail by BettyFB
Greenwich, OH

Has anyone grown the chocolate orange?

Betty, It is still magnificent, no matter how many little plants there are there :)

Skimper -- I grow Chocolate-Orange -- it's smaller than you'd think. It's elegant looking...hard to explain. The foliage, stem, and flower are all in proportion. The flowers are on relatively long stems, it stands straight up and just looks more elegant than some of the bigger ones.
It is VERY brown...in another month that will be good, but right now it is a little too brown for my taste.

Suzy

Greenwich, OH

Suzy: the choclate orange sounds pretty!

Piqua, OH(Zone 6a)

Goodmorning everyone.
It is looking like a beautiful summer day here already. I planted my newest Rudbekia this morning. Here is "Prairie Sun" in her new home. Isn't she lovely?

Thumbnail by buckimom

She is beautiful, buckimom. : )

~Lucy

Louisville, KY(Zone 6b)

Buckimom,

So beautiful!!! I enjoyed seeing your newest Rudbeckia.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I'm behind on this thread too.
Jmorth - I get a lot of variance in Chim Chimenee also.

Henry Eihlers is one of my favorites and almost fully open.

sp

This message was edited Jul 31, 2007 12:27 PM

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Very nice ruds and beds Buckimom.

A nitida/laciniata "Goldquelle"

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I still don't know the actual difference between nitida and laciniata, I see them used interchangeably.

I think this is a nitida - like a generic Herbstonne.

Thumbnail by bigcityal

Oooooh, I like that 'Henry Eilers' one. Nice. : )
~Lucy

Louisville, KY(Zone 6b)

bigcityal,

Very lovely Goldquelle!!! What is that purple or blue flower behind it? Very beautiful!!

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Thanks. It looks bluer than it should - that's an echinacea Primadonna Rose. Goldquelle has stayed to 30" - there were some listing it up to 4' It has similar flowers to Goldilocks but is more upright and has the dark green glossy leaves.

Louisville, KY(Zone 6b)

bigcityal,

They are both lovely!!! I want them both for next year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.