Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Here ya Go Mike

Thumbnail by phicks
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

That your lotus position?

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

yup

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

Ha Ha I can do that one too phicks, but mine's in the pond ;o))

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Thats so unfair.... I'm really getting the idea that they need loads more heat and light than England can give them!

Mine is still alive (this time) but its small and the leaves havn't left the water yet.

I would post a picture but you'll all laugh! heheh

Paul i love the name on the bucket behind the plant

Mike

Mine looked very sad earlier in the year - I had two, but one died last year. I think I put it too deep in the pond....
The survivor (Maggie Bell Slocum) had two spindly leaves that didn't make it beyond the surface earlier in the year (these are now dead and brown), but it has grown two strong leaves that are waving in the thunder wind LOL

Maggie Slocum.... am i guessing thats a refference to are you being served? lol Or is that its real name?

It sounds like you have the weather that we have... today is the wettest day for 50 years or something crazy....

Mine seems to atract alage.. and grows spindly yellow leaves that die within a week.... i fed it and cleaned it..... i even read it stories at night!

Mike

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

heres a flower bud

Thumbnail by phicks

That can't be on that you grew from seed this year surely!

Mike

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Thats From one i Started last Nov

This message was edited Jun 25, 2007 10:22 AM

Wow!! I want one LOL

Yes that is its real name Mike. A Mr Perry D Slocum was very active in lotus breeding
Here's Maggie Bell http://perso.orange.fr/cactus.esterel/galerieweblotus/images/Nelumbo-MAGGIE-BELL-SLOCUM.jpg

...and here is the very beautiful Mrs Perry D Slocum http://images.google.com/images?sourceid=navclient&aq=t&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4SUNA_en___FR205&q=Lotus+Mrs+Perry+D+Slocum

And here is Mrs Slocum..... lol

Thumbnail by mike_freck
Sheffield, United Kingdom(Zone 7b)

Not nearly so beautiful!!!

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

kinda looks like my dear old grand mother or a bit like the queen

Hmmm don't think that can be Mrs Perry D, must be some other Slocum
LOL

Please let us know when that bud opens phick.
Where was the seed from?

Is it only me that remembers "the" Mrs Slocum? and more memorable was Mrs Slocum's pussy!!!

I think they should bring her back... lol i guess she's dead now though!

Mike

Mike, of course I remember her - and her pussy LOL

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

TSK TSK

:P

Paul its not as rude as it sounds.... it was a main stream comedy from way back when....

The pussy cat mentioned even managed to change sex! In one show it was a he and then later it was a she.... that has to be a first?

Still she isnt quite as pretty as that lotus..... does give the queen a run for her money though...hehe

Mike

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

heres some thing you may want to see mike Water Morning Glorys From asia

Thumbnail by phicks

Ahh seen these babies before...i think you posted them in mg forum which i follow alot but don't post as i have lots but they do very little!!!

I didn't know they existed. Do they flower for you phicks?
....and also think this may have been missed with all the Slocum banter "Please let us know when that bud opens phicks.
Where was the seed from?"

PS, do hope you don't mind me gate crashing this thread. I've never tried lotus before and am eagerly awaiting a flower of my own. I notice that mine is putting up another leaf, but still no bud.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

phil how old is your Lotus?

I bought it as a young plant in spring 2005, but didn't pot it up properly and get it in the pond til spring 2006 (don't ask lol)

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

try giveing it more food jobes fertlizer spikes

OK thanks I will, I have a jar of them and put some in originally but haven't put in any more this year I realise

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

they are heavey feeders

OK I'll do it right now :)

I hauled its 'pot' out of the water and found that a load of oxygenating plant had rooted into the pot and was obviously enjoying the remains of the food I'd put in for the lotus. So I weeded all that out and pushed some granule cubes into the earth in the pot.
Just coming out of the soil and pebbles is a shoot that I am pretty certain is a flower bud, rather than another leaf - whoopee!
Fingers now very crossed :)

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

theres 3 buds now

Thumbnail by phicks

Exciting!
Looking at your photo, I think you're absolutely right about mine needing more food. It has it now, but probably too late in the season. Oh well, there's always next year.....

Good luck with yours. Can't wait to see the open flowers.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Those Water Morning Glorys are Edible the Leaves they use it a lot in Asia Yes They Flower i Dont think its to late for yours to flower

Don't think mine needs more food... the water keeps going really green. So i guess there is enough for it all ready!

Mike

Will have to look out for the Morning Glories - I'm all for anything edible ;)
What does your lotus look like now Mike?

I'm not going to post a picture.. Its embarasing..

It keeps putting out new leaves which are small and weak... not left the water yet.. they die after about a week.

I say i fed it plenty so the water goes green so quickly now!

Mike

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

come on mike post it

No way... its terrible.... people will think i can't grow anything!

I'm going to post pictures of Rons mg plants later... at least i can grow those and there important plants, (well they most be the lengths he's going too to get them)

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

here ya go Mike

Thumbnail by phicks

Aww thats too good.

I so need to move to florida

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.